HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I watched a bit of the York 9 game on CBC and it looked like there weren't more than a thousand people there... Maybe the rain kept ticket holders away?

Personally I'm waiting until a bit later in the season before I go watch Valour.
The attendance was 4260 according to here.

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/4p3yxc6...aga/highlights

You dont see the main stands where the cameras are located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Cavalry FC paying the price for insanely high ticket prices. If you go to ticketmaster most of the 80 and 100 dollar seats do not sell. The prices are simply too high for a fledgling soccer league.

I agree the ticket prices are affecting this but I also think its been the abysmal weather. Every weekend game has been awful. The game I attended on the 18th was 4k which I think is pretty good considering. Guess we will see if they adjust for the fall season.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:27 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
For what it's worth at this point:

source - https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-cpl-attendance/
So many MLS games draw 10,000 - 20,000 - so, comparing these crowds (lots in the 5,000 - almost 10,000) with MLS: very impressive so far! If this league can maintain this while adding teams they will have greatly boosted Canadian soccer/footy. Again, impressive!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:06 AM

Holy shit the Cavs will be hosting the WhiteCaps in July..

We have a legit (natural) rivalry with Forge which is awesome, these guys do not like each other.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 1:05 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Holy shit the Cavs will be hosting the WhiteCaps in July..
Will be the most interesting matchup of the next Voyageurs round. Whitecaps are the weakest Canadian MLS team and the Cavs are the strongest CPL side. Cavs could pull off an upset if stars align.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
We have a legit (natural) rivalry with Forge which is awesome, these guys do not like each other.
It's great to see. Those two teams do not like each other.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:14 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports...b-c-1.23862879

Pacific FC is building the largest indoor field house in B.C.

The $5-million facility, under construction on West Shore Parkway, is being paid for by the Canadian Premier League professional soccer club on land leased from Langford.

The 55,000-square-foot facility will be for Pacific FC training sessions. It will also be available by rental for other teams, from national teams down to youth clubs, in soccer, baseball, football, rugby and lacrosse.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:30 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
https://www.timescolonist.com/sports...b-c-1.23862879

Pacific FC is building the largest indoor field house in B.C.

The $5-million facility, under construction on West Shore Parkway, is being paid for by the Canadian Premier League professional soccer club on land leased from Langford.

The 55,000-square-foot facility will be for Pacific FC training sessions. It will also be available by rental for other teams, from national teams down to youth clubs, in soccer, baseball, football, rugby and lacrosse.
I gotta check out where exactly that building is... the last grandstand @ Westhills is well underway, too.

CPL attendance figures updated to June 15:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 3:57 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I gotta check out where exactly that building is... the last grandstand @ Westhills is well underway, too.

via purple-randy on reddit

Going to be a cozy looking stadium when that end is filled in.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 1:18 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

Going to be a cozy looking stadium when that end is filled in.
Yeah, and even better when those Hydro lines are gone. I hope my kids get to use the field house during the winter. Personally I think it builds character training outside at 6pm on Tuesday in mid January when its 4c/clear or 9c/raining...but having something that's dry, warm & bright at night, mid-winter is an improvement.

Westhills Stadium forms the base of Langford's "Olympic corridor", which runs from there to the top of Bear Mountain. Langford says they are in the midst of building a national 'sports capital'.

Last edited by craneSpotter; Jun 22, 2019 at 1:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 11:42 PM

Another sell-out crowd as the Wanderers defeat York 1-0 on a hot sunny day in Halifax.

https://twitter.com/tjhfx/status/1147608775949455360

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 4:29 AM
is watching.

^ that's so good to see.

the crowds in Victoria (Langford) have been waning .... 2.399 at todays game at Westhills.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 2:16 PM

I attended my first CPL game on Canada Day, Valour vs. York 9. Unfortunately Valour didn't do much after scoring in the first minute. But the crowd was good, nearly 7,000. And it was interesting to see how invested people were, lots of folks wearing team gear and clearly into it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 8:54 PM

To me it makes more sense to have Valour FC play next door at old 5000 seat Pan Am stadium on a natural grass pitch. It has room to expand to over 10,000 with temp stands and would be a much better atmosphere than 7000 fans in 33,000 seat IG field.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
To me it makes more sense to have Valour FC play next door at old 5000 seat Pan Am stadium on a natural grass pitch. It has room to expand to over 10,000 with temp stands and would be a much better atmosphere than 7000 fans in 33,000 seat IG field.
Pan Am Stadium is just a pile of splintered bleacher seats with zero amenities unless you count washrooms as an amenity. The field is not that great either. It would be nice if we had a proper smaller facility, but Pan Am is simply substandard in every way.

IG Field has all the comforts a pro stadium which makes attending games a pleasure, and I thought the atmosphere was pretty good even with 7,000 fans in the crowd.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Pan Am Stadium is just a pile of splintered bleacher seats with zero amenities unless you count washrooms as an amenity. The field is not that great either. It would be nice if we had a proper smaller facility, but Pan Am is simply substandard in every way.

IG Field has all the comforts a pro stadium which makes attending games a pleasure, and I thought the atmosphere was pretty good even with 7,000 fans in the crowd.
Completely agree - IGF works great and has plenty of room to accommodate growth, which I have confidence will happen over time. I've been to a few bomber games with 20k attendance (preseason) with worse atmosphere.

Pan am stadium is now only effective for track and field meets and that's a stretch. Quite run down and in need of some modernizing

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:01 AM
ハルウララ

Half the point of Valour existing is to fill dates at IGF. Full stop. Moving them elsewhere defeats that purpose.

---------

HFX had a tough loss tonight to Ottawa Fury. Had a goal called back for offside which wasn't offside and ended up losing 2-3. Interesting first match for a CPL team against another North American based team.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:25 AM

Oh wow - York 9!!!!

Edit - and the Impact tie it in injury time

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 1:30 AM
ハルウララ

Crazy last fifteen minutes in York. Three goals, a penalty, a crossbar. Great comeback from Y9 but the two goals they gave up were on very poor mistakes. Good showing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 12:46 PM

If you use the CCL as a measuring stick to see how the CPL is measuring up to its more established counterparts, then I'd say the CPL is coming along admirably well based on last night's results.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 2:00 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
If you use the CCL as a measuring stick to see how the CPL is measuring up to its more established counterparts, then I'd say the CPL is coming along admirably well based on last night's results.
Yep. The best team in the CPL drew a nearly full squad Whitecaps team last night and really pressed them over the last fifteen minutes. Y9 really should have beaten Impact and HFX were a bit hard-done-by against Fury. A really, really good night for CPL last night.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:31 PM

Copied from the other thread:

Was at the Cavs game last night. Yea the pitch was in bad shape but damn what an amazing atmosphere. Love Atco field, never thought I would see 5K plus people watching soccer and going nuts in this city. Last home game was close to 5k too. Entertaining game for the most part. 0-0 draw vs the Whitecaps who were playing a pretty good lineup is not bad at all. The Cavs went toe to toe with an MLS team, as did the other teams who played last night. CPL teams seem to be able to hold their own. The Cavs play again in Vancouver on the 24th and away goals are worth more so who knows.

Some highlights from the game if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MvkugQ8Y4w&t=197s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada