HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:50 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Those are just place holder buildings not actual deigns for anything going up.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:53 PM
Meh

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. I just hadn't seen these posted yet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't know about the zoning allowances, and I know these are placeholders, but I'd prefer the buildings closest to the highway be shorter and the ones in the back be taller to allow for more views of downtown and less of a canyon feeling on the highway... as well as achieving a few taller buildings.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I don't know about the zoning allowances, and I know these are placeholders, but I'd prefer the buildings closest to the highway be shorter and the ones in the back be taller to allow for more views of downtown and less of a canyon feeling on the highway... as well as achieving a few taller buildings.
Maybe they're going to make an effort to reduce highway noise on campus?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 4:45 AM

Quote:
I don't care how they do it. That campus has been underutilized for far too long. Yes, ground level retail is needed, but so is education. Don't really care about some "canyon effect" along 35.

Dallas has a "canyon effect" along many corridors. Doesn't seem to be hurting them.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:09 AM

Well, this would be good start:

https://therivardreport.com/utsa-lan...-data-science/

“There’s lot of focus right now … around this opportunity to focus San Antonio on data science, IT, information management, and cybersecurity,” he said. “It’s a huge opportunity for the city and a huge opportunity for the companies already in San Antonio.”

No higher education institution in the state currently features a School of Data Science. Eighmy said UTSA would need to seek approval from the UT System regents and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board to formalize the school.

UTSA will soon launch into the design phase for the two downtown facilities and determine their exact location on the campus.

“Today’s news is really welcome news about the Board of Regents’ investment in our visions for UTSA, the downtown campus, and our vision for the impact of the city and its economy by these first two initiatives we’re bringing forward,” Eighmy said.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 2:43 PM

[QUOTE=Restless One;8306186]Well, this would be good start:

https://therivardreport.com/utsa-lan...-data-science/

QUOTE]

Interesting quote from the article:

“Both buildings will be up and occupied within two-and-a-half years,” Eighmy told the Rivard Report after the vote.

That is a crazy aggressive schedule! I just hope the design doesn't suffer (tilt-up beige box) in the name of speed. Perhaps the buildings have already been partially designed?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:53 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Interesting quote from the article:

“Both buildings will be up and occupied within two-and-a-half years,” Eighmy told the Rivard Report after the vote.

That is a crazy aggressive schedule! I just hope the design doesn't suffer (tilt-up beige box) in the name of speed. Perhaps the buildings have already been partially designed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'd say the two buildings are the squarish one on the left and the one partially shaped like the western half Texas (panhandle plus) on the right side of the quad.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:33 PM

If I'm reading this right, based on the quote below from the story in the Rivard Report, it looks like one of the two buildings being discussed will only be five stories.

"A five-story Computational Research Building comprising a cyber laboratory and cyber range, a virtual shooting range for training cyberwarriors; a data analytics laboratory; technology for cloud computing; and an innovation factory will be a centerpiece of the facility."

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I'd say the two buildings are the squarish one on the left and the one partially shaped like the western half Texas (panhandle plus) on the right side of the quad.
Jack, those buildings are just for massing and theoretical. The placement of any future building hasn’t been determined.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 2:23 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Jack, those buildings are just for massing and theoretical. The placement of any future building hasn’t been determined.
Thanks. I know they're massing models, but are they also just placement models too? Those aren't necessarily the locations where the buildings will be?

If they are the actual locations, then I would guess the 5-story one would be the one closest to the highway... or the little Texas one.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 8:21 PM

UTSA proposal adds more land and cash for downtown campus expansion

Things are starting to gain traction now for the downtown UTSA campus. Looks like we should be looking for some more cranes in the downtown area in the near future. The residential buildings are a little smaller than I would have liked, but this is good solid density for an area of downtown that really needs it. Graham Weston is really going to leave his mark on this city for decades to come.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...-downtown.html

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 9:11 PM

Here is the new downtown campus master plan including the 5 acres the city and county will donate to the school for their phase 1, sans the two residential projects, one which will be built on school owned land, the other residential building will be an addition to the city owned Continental Hotel structure.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 10:16 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
The university must absolutely play nice with the San Pedro Creek development. If not, it’d be a huge loss.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 12:52 AM

I wonder if relocating the ITC to the downtown campus is part of the ten year plan.

I like these new plans very much, but I think they should build a basketball court and have games downtown. How fun would that be?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The university must absolutely play nice with the San Pedro Creek development. If not, it’d be a huge loss.
You mean the glorified storm drain they put some lights next to and planted some trees by*, only to have to shut it down days after it opened because they were too obtuse to foresee how people would use it?

*the Mexican sycamores they planted are already falling over, by the way.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 1:16 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
You mean the glorified storm drain they put some lights next to and planted some trees by*, only to have to shut it down days after it opened because they were too obtuse to foresee how people would use it?

*the Mexican sycamores they planted are already falling over, by the way.
That will end up being redone as a phase of the San Pedro Creek Culture Park.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2018, 8:38 PM

UTSA school of Data Science is a game changer for SA

I don’t think most people have fully realized what this announcement by UTSA means for not only the university, but the city, downtown and the tech district. San Antonio will soon become a real hub for cyber security and data science. With the proximity of the new campuses downtown it will connect UTSA with the burgeoning tech district. In addition to the collaboration with both public and private sectors in cyber security and data science. San Antonio will continue to attract multiple employers here with the skills and laborforce that will be in demand. I am excited to see this development DT in addition to the other projects happening in that area.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAinthe21stC View Post
I don’t think most people have fully realized what this announcement by UTSA means for not only the university, but the city, downtown and the tech district. San Antonio will soon become a real hub for cyber security and data science. With the proximity of the new campuses downtown it will connect UTSA with the burgeoning tech district. In addition to the collaboration with both public and private sectors in cyber security and data science. San Antonio will continue to attract multiple employers here with the skills and laborforce that will be in demand. I am excited to see this development DT in addition to the other projects happening in that area.

THIS IS VERY EXCITING!!!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2018, 3:35 PM
James

I was thinking the exact same thing. This will cement our tech presence of high-skilled jobs located in our downtown core.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio