HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 6:53 PM

Fredericton may have its first for the year. Or at least the first I've heard about.

Police Investigating Fire and Sudden Death as Suspicious

Quote:
On June 5, 2019 at 5:20 a.m., the Fredericton Fire Department responded to the call of a structure fire at a Canterbury Drive residence. Police were called in to investigate following the discovery of a person found deceased.

Investigators with the Major Crime Team have been working with the Fredericton Fire Department and the Coroner’s Office, and it has been determined that the cause of both the fire and the sudden death are suspicious.

The victim is confirmed to be an adult male, but at this time, it does not further the investigation to release the identity of the deceased. The residence at the centre of the investigation is known to police, and officers have attended there on different occasions.

Police continue to process the scene, and their presence will be noticeable for at least the next few days. This investigation is still in its early stages and the public’s patience is appreciated.

Investigators are looking to speak with anyone with video surveillance or dashcam video that was in the area of the fire on Wednesday, June 5, 2019, between the hours of 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Please contact the Fredericton Police Force at 460-2300 and reference file 19-12017.

Anyone with additional information about this ongoing investigation is asked to contact the Fredericton Police Force at 506-460-2300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
The death is just 'suspicious' so it may not actually be a homicide; but it is the first suspicious death to hit the local news (that I've noticed) since the shootings last August.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 11:33 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

A man in his 20s was shot dead in the Friday night crowds yesterday evening in Ottawa's Byward Market.

I was with my family at that exact spot 30 minutes before.

Number 9 for Ottawa I think.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Murder city now at 22

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 5:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Pallister
Ha, nice try though!

$6.00-$7.00 bucks for a hit of meth that keeps you high for 6 hours and craving more is the problem and the associated paranoia and craziness that it brings of course it's not limited to Winnipeg but Winnipeg seems to have many more at risk for addiction!

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:53 PM

This time last year Winnipeg recorded 8 homicides, ended the year with 22. The number of homicides multiplied by a factor of 2.75 (as homicides tends to increase in the summer), from this time last year to the end of the year.

Using a factor of 2.75, Winnipeg could record as many of 60 homicides this year. (22 x 2.75)

Homicides by Month (2018/19)
Jan 2/3
Feb 2/2
Mar 0/6
Apr 1/2
May 3/6
Jun 2/3 (Current)
July 2
Aug 2
Sep 4
Oct 2
Nov 0
Dec 3

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 1:22 AM

^ For what it's worth these Winnipeg numbers are not exactly uncharted territory... there were 41 in 2011.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Ha, nice try though!

$6.00-$7.00 bucks for a hit of meth that keeps you high for 6 hours and craving more is the problem and the associated paranoia and craziness that it brings of course it's not limited to Winnipeg but Winnipeg seems to have many more at risk for addiction!
Yeah, yeah, meth is great. But voting conservative costs nothing, gets you high for four years, with the associated paranoia and craziness... hangover is a doozy though.

Meth was always a thing in Winnipeg but crime was on a clear downward trend until last year, when some serious social problems started showing, with miniature tent cities popping up and a major outbreak in all sorts of petty crime. Like you said, Winnipeg has a lot of people at risk for addiction, and cutting them loose from the social safety net has only changed a modest tax burden into a heavy personal burden born by the victims of crime. Now more people are paying with their lives. But good-ol' Brian Pallister, the king of Costa Rica, left a couple toonies on the kitchen table!

Anyway, I lived in downtown Winnipeg for five years and around other central neighbourhoods for seven years before that. I never had my car broken into in all my years in central Winnipeg, and last year it happened repeatedly, inside my underground parking garage. Anecdotal? Yes. But I'm just glad I've left and no longer have to lament Manitoba's one step forward, fall the fuck on its ass and slide back down the hill style of progress.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:28 PM
I am a typical

With the legalization of marijuana, a lot of gangs have switched to other drugs to maintain revenue. The same thing has happened in Thunder Bay, that's why almost all of our murder victims and murderers are from Toronto lately. The drugs are coming out of the south.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Winnipeg now at 24

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 8:27 PM
Explorateur urbain

Montreal (2M people) is still at 6. Last homicide was at the end of March.

There were 10 homicides in the suburbs (2.3M people) so far this year. First time ever that Montreal has less homicides than the suburbs, I believe.

So a total of 16 for a 4.3M population YTD.

Source

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

One more for Ottawa overnight after a 3 am shooting in the Byward Market. Not sure of the annual tally. Maybe 10?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 2:15 PM

Man shot and killed at 3am in Ottawa's Market area last night. Not sure what the count is for this year to date.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 11:59 AM

I just heard on the radio Ottawa is now at 9, including this weekend’s murder.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 12:20 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Yeah, yeah, meth is great. But voting conservative costs nothing, gets you high for four years, with the associated paranoia and craziness... hangover is a doozy though.

Meth was always a thing in Winnipeg but crime was on a clear downward trend until last year, when some serious social problems started showing, with miniature tent cities popping up and a major outbreak in all sorts of petty crime. Like you said, Winnipeg has a lot of people at risk for addiction, and cutting them loose from the social safety net has only changed a modest tax burden into a heavy personal burden born by the victims of crime. Now more people are paying with their lives. But good-ol' Brian Pallister, the king of Costa Rica, left a couple toonies on the kitchen table!

Anyway, I lived in downtown Winnipeg for five years and around other central neighbourhoods for seven years before that. I never had my car broken into in all my years in central Winnipeg, and last year it happened repeatedly, inside my underground parking garage. Anecdotal? Yes. But I'm just glad I've left and no longer have to lament Manitoba's one step forward, fall the fuck on its ass and slide back down the hill style of progress.
Are you seriously trying to argue that all these murders wouldn't have happened if anybody else had been voted in to office? Seriously?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I just heard on the radio Ottawa is now at 9, including this weekend’s murder.
(Somewhat) good news. Since we're exactly at the halfway mark of the year, if the current rate is maintained Ottawa would end up with 18 for 2019.

With a population of 1 million people, the homicide rate is easy to calculate: 1.8 per 100,000 people.

Still very low.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:33 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Toronto is at 32, after 4 fatal shootings over the weekend.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
(Somewhat) good news. Since we're exactly at the halfway mark of the year, if the current rate is maintained Ottawa would end up with 18 for 2019.

With a population of 1 million people, the homicide rate is easy to calculate: 1.8 per 100,000 people.

Still very low.
Three of the nine have been in the Market - I wonder what the neighbourhood "per 100g people" looks like? Similar to San Salvador, I imagine.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Three of the nine have been in the Market - I wonder what the neighbourhood "per 100g people" looks like? Similar to San Salvador, I imagine.
I guess there is some solace in the fact that Ottawa thugs seem to be poor shots: another shooting overnight. Victim was injured but survived.

Also two people were stabbed in broad daylight at a Transitway stop in a pretty nice part of Ottawa's west end over the lunch hour today.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 8:25 PM

That stabbing was really weird. A part of the city where even petty crimes are largely unheard of.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:12 AM

Can anyone shed some light on this spate of violent crime in Ottawa? Stabbings at bus stops? Shootings in the Market? Sounds very peculiar to me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada