HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:09 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
^^^ Interesting tower. Looks tall (~800'?).

I don't know if anyone has noticed but there is something sticking out from the left side of the building, near the roof. Protrudes quite a bit, and right now I am assuming it an observation attraction of some sort.

According to https://urbanize.la/post/city-planni...ershing-square it will be 784 feet to be precise.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:48 PM

Adding Mr Ambroz to my holiday card list!

Quote:
"Commissioner David Ambroz said he worried that, if the project were approved and then sold, the design might lose its most exciting aspects and become “a shorter rectangle.” In an attempt to make it hard for a developer to change the approved design down the road, the commission requested that the project go before the commission again if a new design was desired."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
^^^ I think what Quixote was referring to is the ground floor interaction. Yeah its a rectangular box above the 6 floor mark, but below that its geared more towards the street interaction.

I remember when every project that broke ground a few years ago, no matter if it were a crap box in south park or a tower in the financial district, everyone quickly labeled it a game changer and I wanted to barf. This however is in fact what a game changer is. Folks take notes.

This tower still confuses me. I like it but the entire concept terrifies me when I think of earthquakes. From the slender base to the sloshing pools. Scary. But I think the best thing about this is how if the project is sold to another company and they try to change the design, it MUST be reapproved again. We all saw what happened with Park fifth. So that's great IMO.

Don't be afraid. I'm sure structural engineers have accounted for this.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 4:59 PM

Quote:
This tower still confuses me. I like it but the entire concept terrifies me when I think of earthquakes. From the slender base to the sloshing pools. Scary. But I think the best thing about this is how if the project is sold to another company and they try to change the design, it MUST be reapproved again. We all saw what happened with Park fifth. So that's great IMO.
Tokyo, Osaka, Manila, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Bangkok, even Shanghai: they're all earthquake-prone, and they all have tall, safe buildings.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Love the new skyscraper, certainly don't want a Hudson Yards. A horrible development that has done the impossible - brought every New Yorker together in universal dislike. Los Angeles should strive for better.
Agreed. Hudson Yards is massive and makes the NYC skyline a little odd in my opinion. Although, they were going for a ‘city within a city’ which they are certainly achieving. Phase 2 should be interesting to see come to life. It’s absolutely amazing to see DTLA changing so rapidly. It’s truly becoming an urban core that gives an entirely different vibe from the miles and miles of urban sprawl. I love it!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:29 AM

Quote:
yes, don't know if cantilevered pools hundreds of ft in the air make sense from both an engineering & economic standpoint. something about the two in dtla gives me pause. ppl with lots of money for a home have generally stayed west of la brea, north of pasadena, south of palos verdes....& avoided moving to dt. big money buyers will be a necessity if that proj finds funding & is successful.

I've read that some of the units in the metropolis proj, originally for buyers from China, have seen demand slow down...& we all know about the nearby Oceanwide proj sitting unfinished on Fig.

up on Bunker hill, look at how long this proj took to break ground....yrs after its neighbor opened across the street opened in 2003....16 yrs ago.

Video Link

these open sightlines won't exist in a few yrs.....one of the few times the old tinker toy parking structure on Grand Ave was a useful eyesore....at least for a few nights....

Video Link

getting things done in dtla has been such a struggle, so I can't imagine a highrise condo tower across from the park fifth bldg....another proj that was delayed for yrs, then downsized....will somehow surprise everyone and break ground before everyone is old & gray....just like Frank Gehry having waited yrs before his grand ave proj finally started construction. But who knows?.....anything is possible if you wait long enough.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 6:23 PM

Every major city has a plethora of projects that longer than the delayed start and projects that never come to fruition. As one who lived in Palos Verdes before moving to DTLA, I personally know of a few people from PV that’s decided to buy or rent Downtown. This tower is exactly they type of tower which demand the higher incomes from the areas of which you speak.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Agreed. Hudson Yards is massive and makes the NYC skyline a little odd in my opinion. Although, they were going for a ‘city within a city’ which they are certainly achieving. Phase 2 should be interesting to see come to life. It’s absolutely amazing to see DTLA changing so rapidly. It’s truly becoming an urban core that gives an entirely different vibe from the miles and miles of urban sprawl. I love it!
Agree. Hudson Yards & the skinny-tall boxy condo buildings etc. dwarf the classics like the Chrysler & Empire State. Throw off the skyline balance in an unappealing way. By the way, the New York Times Sunday said that some of the new condo buildings are less than 50% leased. One of them on the lower east side is only 20%.

On L.A., as I have stated before the new proposed 700'+ tower north of Pershing Square with the hanging infinity pools will be amazing. Hope it gets built in time for the Olympics. Instant L.A. icon. I approve. DTLA has too many boxes. This one is different in a good way and very L.A.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:47 AM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calinative View Post
agree. Hudson yards & the skinny-tall boxy condo buildings etc. Dwarf the classics like the chrysler & empire state. Throw off the skyline balance in an unappealing way. By the way, the new york times sunday said that some of the new condo buildings are less than 50% leased. One of them on the lower east side is only 20%.

On l.a., as i have stated before the new proposed 700'+ tower north of pershing square with the hanging infinity pools will be amazing. Hope it gets built in time for the olympics. Instant l.a. Icon. I approve. Dtla has too many boxes. This one is different in a good way and very l.a.
100% agreed!!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 2:29 PM
life is good

My Flickr account died but I just walked past that abomination at 4th and Broadway and a notice of demolition has been posted on it! Hallelujah!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:06 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Oh, that is indeed good news!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:17 PM

Eightball: Great news, Wow You can't believe how I waited for that news. With that area changing so fast it had to be just a matter of time for this to happen, maybe Perla people
like that corner too?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
My Flickr account died but I just walked past that abomination at 4th and Broadway and a notice of demolition has been posted on it! Hallelujah!
Christmas in September!!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:08 PM

Here’s a first look inside the Arts District’s dazzling Soho Warehouse

Quote:
Anticipated for more than four years, Soho Warehouse in the Arts District is finally slated to open to members at the end of month.

“Designed for the eastside of LA’s creative community,” the former musician’s rehearsal space now features a glamorous rooftop with a bar, terrace, and swimming pool; a couple restaurants; another bar; communal areas; and 48 hotel room-like “bedrooms” that include use of the Warehouse’s new gym.

The original loading dock has been transformed into a leafy garden planted with “olive trees, winding jasmine and comfortable seating” shielded by shell-pink umbrellas.
https://la.curbed.com/2019/9/20/2087...ct-open-photos

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
What’s being demolished and built there?? Isn’t that where Perla is going up?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
What’s being demolished and built there?? Isn’t that where Perla is going up?
I'm guessing they are referring to the long abandoned structure on the northeast corner of that intersection.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:42 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Any links to the project?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 6:48 PM

Isn't that the 30 story building? I can't remember the name.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
That demoltion notice has been up for over a year now. It's just a ploy by Sassony, the slum lord that owns the site to keep up appearnces.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
That demoltion notice has been up for over a year now. It's just a ploy by Sassony, the slum lord that owns the site to keep up appearnces.
Ugh... such a blight on that intersection.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations