HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:30 PM

The Graduate: April 7, 2019

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 1:29 AM

SJSU Rec Building is finally completed. Just in time for them to now focus on the Science building!

Science building:

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpk122s View Post
March downtown construction update presentation is here:

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/DocumentCenter/View/83865

See DP post for the summary.
Some of the photos inside:

Miro Towers:

The Graduate:

The James:

Bank of Italy:

Adobe North Tower:

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 10:33 AM

Great DTSJ update, Gillynova. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:46 AM

Credit to Sharkcity on another forum.

New vision for Cityview Plaza from Jay Paul. 3.4 million sf triple tower. They are taking advantage of the extra 35' and building up to the new height limit.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...iew-plaza.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:21 AM

Pics of Coleman construction

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:30 AM

Population changes from 2018 to 2019 according to the Finance Department of California

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:19 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Population changes from 2018 to 2019 according to the Finance Department of California

SJ is a bit surprising to me considering how much housing they're building.

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 9:39 PM

700 Santana Row plaza is now open to the public!

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 12:30 AM

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...-draw-concern/

Quote:
San Jose envisions 18-story towers in ‘urban village’ near Berryessa BART station
Some residents fear the suburban neighborhood will become too crowded

With San Jose’s first BART station finally slated to open later this year, the city is moving forward with plans to design a dense “urban village” that could feature some tall towers in the Berryessa neighborhood surrounding the stop.

By 2030, the station is expected to carry 25,000 riders every day in an area city planners want to see developed into a vibrant, walkable community with thousands of offices, homes and shops. But some residents are worried the suburban neighborhood they call home — full of single-family homes, squat strip malls, the sprawling San Jose Flea Market and some industrial land — will force city life upon them.

“I think development is an inevitability. I see the need. I understand people are drawn to that,” said Betsy Bare, who has lived for four decades just east of the station in a single-family home on a quiet street. “But I’m not drawn to that.”

While Bare and her neighbors might have some say over what gets built in the area, she is right that more houses and more jobs are almost certainly on their way.
Depending on whether it is office or apartment buildings that is almost as tall as downtown.

I know this forum thinks it is a poor place to build up, preferring another park and ride station, but I think this is a good place for development given the BART station.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 4:54 AM

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...e-development/

Quote:
SAN JOSE — Prolific developer Jay Paul Co. has bought two vital properties in downtown San Jose, a deal that sets the stage for a dramatic project poised to transform the skyline and streets of the Bay Area’s largest city.

Jay Paul bought on Friday two properties at the corner of Park Avenue and South Almaden Boulevard located across the street from another large complex that the veteran real estate company purchased in 2018, a trio of sites that enables the company to create a huge development in downtown San Jose.

“We have some very exciting ideas for these properties,” said Matt Lituchy, chief investment officer with Jay Paul Co. “This is going to be a single development.”

In addition to the just-acquired parcels at 200 Park Ave. and 282 S. Almaden Blvd., the company nearly a year ago bought the vast Cityview Plaza, a mixed-use office, retail, and restaurant complex that could be bulldozed and replaced with modern office towers and other new uses.

Jay Paul has bought out Dinapoli from the lot across CityView Plaza (kitty corner from Adobe HQ) apparently paying $100M for a tiny vacant office building parking garage to assemble more lots. Presumably the next step might be to buy out the rights to build on Parkside Hall.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...-draw-concern/

Depending on whether it is office or apartment buildings that is almost as tall as downtown.

I know this forum thinks it is a poor place to build up, preferring another park and ride station, but I think this is a good place for development given the BART station.
There seems to be a lot of hate for this kind of TOD in this forum, and would love to understand why? I think the South Bay really needs this kind of development instead of the Santa Clara, Sunnyvale office parks far from transit as of late.

But I'm not understanding the support for that and opposition for this, especially since it is touted as building close to transit, when it is miles from BART or Caltrain, but this development is literally adjacent to a BART station.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...e-development/

Jay Paul has bought out Dinapoli from the lot across CityView Plaza (kitty corner from Adobe HQ) apparently paying $100M for a tiny vacant office building parking garage to assemble more lots. Presumably the next step might be to buy out the rights to build on Parkside Hall.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/..._news_headline

New renders and talk about plans by Jay Paul to combine the two.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 8:54 PM

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...opment/591991/

Quote:
On Tuesday, Google announced plans to invest $1 billion dollars in land and money to construct housing in the Bay Area over the next decade. The search giant is the third major tech employer this year that has pledged to address an acute housing shortage in its surrounding community. Yet Google’s commitment is different, not only for its size, but also for its focus on land.

The bulk of Google’s investment will come in the form of property that’s worth $750 million, the company says. This is land that Google already owns around the Bay Area and that it now plans to repurpose for residential use, CEO Sundar Pichai explained in a blog post. Parts of the company’s present and future office campuses in cities such as Mountain View, San Jose, and San Francisco would be rezoned and converted to “new homes at all income levels ... including housing options for middle and low-income families,” Pichai wrote.

Given that there largest expansion will be in San Jose this will likely mean something like 10k new housing in San Jose, but the question will be where? They are not just talking downtown anymore Google has bought land in Alviso and is leasing offices near the airport too. Though only the land they are buying downtown can be zoned for multiple uses and they have been buying residential land.

But presumably this will include several mixed-income high rises, if not mixed use office/residential. More to come from them.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 4:02 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
There seems to be a lot of hate for this kind of TOD in this forum, and would love to understand why? I think the South Bay really needs this kind of development instead of the Santa Clara, Sunnyvale office parks far from transit as of late.

But I'm not understanding the support for that and opposition for this, especially since it is touted as building close to transit, when it is miles from BART or Caltrain, but this development is literally adjacent to a BART station.
when you say 'hate for TOD' are you referring to the generally negative reaction to the stuff that is going up near the Milpitas BART station?

I am VERY much in favor of TOD, but Milpitas BART area is just executed really poorly. doesn't seem like it will encourage the new residents not to get around with their cars at all. the station itself is surrounded by a moat of either parking or traffic lanes, literally walled off from the nearest existing houses, if I am not mistaken.

but maybe that's not what you meant!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 11:44 AM
BANNED

Apparently, many people have learned the way to San Jose.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
when you say 'hate for TOD' are you referring to the generally negative reaction to the stuff that is going up near the Milpitas BART station?

I am VERY much in favor of TOD, but Milpitas BART area is just executed really poorly. doesn't seem like it will encourage the new residents not to get around with their cars at all. the station itself is surrounded by a moat of either parking or traffic lanes, literally walled off from the nearest existing houses, if I am not mistaken.

but maybe that's not what you meant!
I meant the opposition in this forum to all the development planned by the Berryessa BART. Did you read the article? They only talk about the development around the Berryessa BART station, that is my main concern, the opposition to building up the area around Berryessa, but yet supporting other developments that are far from transit and have a lot more office space.

Last edited by cardinal2007; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:42 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 9:28 PM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
I meant the opposition in this forum to all the development planned by the Berryessa BART. Did you read the article? They only talk about the development around the Berryessa BART station, that is my main concern, the opposition to building up the area around Berryessa, but yet supporting other developments that are far from transit and have a lot more office space.
ah, OK. I do remember thinking the Berryessa area was also not laid out optimally, with the closest things to the station being huge parking lots/garages, but I'd have to go back and look at it again - that's just a recollection. I'm not sure which article you mean - could you point me to it?

my take generally is: the South Bay in particular in the Bay Area is tough for this, due to its growth during a time when all the thinking was car-centered. we have the daunting task of trying to undo/retrofit 50+ years of development in that mind-set (and work to create awareness that things don't have to, and probably shouldn't, continue to be that way, which sometimes seems equally as daunting).

so when we get these opportunities like a major transit station, the thinking is still, well, we need to make it easy for people to drive here. so they build 2000 (random large number) parking spaces and wide roads right next to the station. but you can accomplish the same thing (attract 2000+ potential riders) by building 2000 units of housing (or mix of equivalent office space) with a walkable street grid right around the station too, with all the other benefits for health and environment the latter provides. if Berryessa does that, or even something approaching that, then woohooo.

(and I don't mean there should be no parking, but much less, and it should not get in the way of access to the station by other means)

the thing in Santa Clara (which I think you are also referring to) I'm not super familiar with. I got the general impression it was increasing density and walkability in an area that does have some existing transit options, particularly the light rail, which I think runs along one edge of it. I'm often thrown off in scale in the South Bay, though, where things are farther apart than I think, so could be that this is the case here.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:22 PM

Adobe broke ground on their new tower today in downtown San Jose

Quote:
SAN JOSE — Adobe officially broke ground Monday on a gleaming new office tower in downtown San Jose that is expected to be large enough to accommodate 4,000 employees and to become a dramatic addition to the skyline of the Bay Area’s largest city.

Slated to be completed in 2022, the 18-story Adobe North Tower will total 700,000 square feet and be connected to the tech titan’s existing three-building campus in downtown San Jose with a pedestrian bridge that will arc over West San Fernando Street.

The last office high rise in downtown San Jose was the River Park Tower 2, which rose on West San Carlos Street in 2010.
Source:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/06/...h-real-estate/

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
ah, OK. I do remember thinking the Berryessa area was also not laid out optimally, with the closest things to the station being huge parking lots/garages, but I'd have to go back and look at it again - that's just a recollection. I'm not sure which article you mean - could you point me to it?

my take generally is: the South Bay in particular in the Bay Area is tough for this, due to its growth during a time when all the thinking was car-centered. we have the daunting task of trying to undo/retrofit 50+ years of development in that mind-set (and work to create awareness that things don't have to, and probably shouldn't, continue to be that way, which sometimes seems equally as daunting).

so when we get these opportunities like a major transit station, the thinking is still, well, we need to make it easy for people to drive here. so they build 2000 (random large number) parking spaces and wide roads right next to the station. but you can accomplish the same thing (attract 2000+ potential riders) by building 2000 units of housing (or mix of equivalent office space) with a walkable street grid right around the station too, with all the other benefits for health and environment the latter provides. if Berryessa does that, or even something approaching that, then woohooo.

(and I don't mean there should be no parking, but much less, and it should not get in the way of access to the station by other means)

the thing in Santa Clara (which I think you are also referring to) I'm not super familiar with. I got the general impression it was increasing density and walkability in an area that does have some existing transit options, particularly the light rail, which I think runs along one edge of it. I'm often thrown off in scale in the South Bay, though, where things are farther apart than I think, so could be that this is the case here.
Berryessa
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/...opment/591991/

https://www.relatedsantaclara.com/about/
I have to admit it is an improvement over the first plan:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/...nies-huge.html

I hate to spoil it for you, but very few people use light rail, VTA has a farebox recovery rate of 9%, one major issue is that average speed for VTA is something like 14mph, and even in the worst traffic South Bay traffic is at 15mph average. When you add the parking garage is usually adjacent, while the station is not, you have this problem. Either way you have to look at the map, only one office building is made convenient to transit, all the other ones are towards the back/sides of the development a significant and unfriendly walk from the station (note the Related didn't even bother highlighting the stations this time, you have to cross reference the current map), the ACE/Capitol Corridor station that is the only one adjacent to the development (light rail is adjacent to the "future residential" and further down by the convention center) and it only gets 3 ACE trains in the morning and evening, and a few more Capitol Corridor. Those are nowhere near BART or Caltrain like service, and VTA which is about to go on strike is really lacking here (honestly their stops are way too close for a low density area like the north part of Sunnyvale, SC & SJ, they need to come up with ways to reach the 55mph top speed that it never does north of downtown).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations