HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai World Financial Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 6, 2006, 6:04 PM
`

Nov. 4:

zavidecoineis/dougstravelad

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 7, 2006 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 3:27 AM
`

Today (Nov.7):

saseki/beardnan

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 2:28 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I'm sorry I got us on this rant in the first place with my skyline comparison comment.

From what I've seen Shanghai in photos (I've been to Beijing and Wuhan in mainland China myself, but not Shanghai), I just think that Shanghai needs more of a variation in heights in other parts of the city to really make it part of the group of elite skylines. Kuala Lampur to me fits this idea as well (Petronas Towers and Menara Telekom with a lot of the same height inbetween). This is not to say that it won't ever get there. It just isn't there with the construction of this building alone.

On the non-skyscraper side, I've been to over 25 countries on 5 continents, and if you haven't been to China (Mainland, HK, Taiwan all inclusive), then you haven't seen the future of the global marketplace. Say what you want about the US getting out of the gate first, but the US is losing the business and culture marathons as we speak.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
^^
Don't worry. He's a delusional 14-year old who has been fed too much propaganda from his American parents, and who doesn't know shit about the world, let alone China and Shanghai.
It seems as if the world believes it knows tons about the U.S. but it doesn't know shit. On the other hand, liberals are constantantly barking about the U.S. no longer have respect in the world so why should his American parents give a shit?

I think the personal attacks go both ways, don't you? By the way, you can keep your China and Shanghai.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 11:28 PM

As far as numbers of high rises are concerned the only other city that might top Shanghai could be Sao Paulo. I haven't really seen any statistics that seem accurate on this subject, the photos above make it obvious that there are hundreds and hundreds of them. However, Sao Paulo and most other cities couldn't begin to compete with the number of Shanghai buildings like the World Financial Center which are truly impressive skyscrapers. Sao Paulo's buildings are much more modest in size.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 5:32 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefigman
From what I've seen Shanghai in photos (I've been to Beijing and Wuhan in mainland China myself, but not Shanghai), I just think that Shanghai needs more of a variation in heights in other parts of the city to really make it part of the group of elite skylines. Kuala Lampur to me fits this idea as well (Petronas Towers and Menara Telekom with a lot of the same height inbetween). This is not to say that it won't ever get there. It just isn't there with the construction of this building alone.
Ummm, what? What exactly is remotely interesting skyline wise (excepting the Maybank Tower) about the area BETWEEN Menara Telekom and Petronas?

You can't judge the scale of Shanghai by photos. Not till you go there.

uber:

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZheat
As far as numbers of high rises are concerned the only other city that might top Shanghai could be Sao Paulo. I haven't really seen any statistics that seem accurate on this subject, the photos above make it obvious that there are hundreds and hundreds of them. However, Sao Paulo and most other cities couldn't begin to compete with the number of Shanghai buildings like the World Financial Center which are truly impressive skyscrapers. Sao Paulo's buildings are much more modest in size.
Seoul. Not as dense as parts of Shanghai but it goes on for ever! Seoul is mind-bogglingly immense. It just lacks a bunch of super-talls to act as a focal point.
I think the average block of flats is taller (and newer) in Seoul than in S.P. though, so it may mean less of them.
I suspect the real winner is Tokyo but I haven't been there.
All of these cities have huge numbers of towers that don't register on any database. I guess the reasons are much the same way noone bothers to count the two story houses in Perth.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 3:13 PM

we get it, shanghai has a lot of skyscrapers......and is big....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:05 PM
`

"Big" and "lots" is right. Especially in the last pic.

Yesterday (Nov. 8):

... and watch out for the old!

thormatt83

Old Posted Nov 9, 2006, 10:30 PM
gettin' rich!

The Mission Impossible Skyscraper. Oh my god!!!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 4:26 AM
Crisp and Squishy

^Yeah I just so that the other night--some fantastic shots of the city...although somewhat amusing to see Tom Cruise parachute out of the Bank of China building, yet land near People's square, not only across the river but in a completely different part of town--same goes for the "water village" near the end, which according to the map was located in the center of the city, but in reality is waaaayyy out in the country-side.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2006, 5:17 AM
`

Behind the scenes of MI3...with the SWFC of course:

Last edited by Slugbelch; Nov 10, 2006 at 5:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 8:06 AM
Crisp and Squishy

November 14th:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2006, 11:16 PM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

how many floors are they putting up a week now?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:53 PM

^The bracing should have been visible through the glass wall. I'm afraid that it won't be.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb

^The bracing should have been visible through the glass wall. I'm afraid that it won't be.
umm...that's already been established like months ago when they started claddding the building. yeah, big missed opportunity to make this building really stand out from other conventional skyscrapers. that, and the squaring of the 'hole'.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefigman
imo, shanghai is already part of the elite group of skylines in terms of size, scale and number of buildings. kuala lumpur isn't even close. but to be honest, i prefer kuala lumpur's skyline and city in general because it looks much cleaner, greener, prettier and more liveable. it's not massively overdeveloped with hundreds of tall buildings randomly constructed on every square block like shanghai. tho it appears kuala lumpur doesnt appear to have been developed based on an organized city grid - buildings seem randomly constructed among small winding streets - i love kuala lumpurs green squares and parks which separates the buildings and prevents the appearance of suffocating density and compactness that characterizes most asian cities. kuala lumpur's architecture in general also looks more tasteful than shanghai's. with the exception of a few buildings like jin mao, shangai's architecture is just so incredibly tacky and tasteless. (they need to install rocket launchers on that oriental pearl tv tower and launch it FAR AWAY into space.) i am not easily impressed by a building's size or height or a city's massive number of buildings. i value greatly the architectural design and a city's thoughtful urban planning. but i guess i'm in the minority in this forum.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 9:22 AM
low life in a tall place

Shanghai is already number one in the world in terms of size, scale and number of buildings.
To say that "Shanghai's architecture is incredibly tacky and tastless" is the equivalent of saying "I have never been to Shanghai, and only seen pictures on the internet".

SWFC's new official name is Shanghai Hills - World Financial Center.
http://www.shanghaihills.com/en/index.html

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 9:37 AM
low life in a tall place

Some info and images from the official website (check it out, there are some really cool videos to be found).

Location : Block Z4-1, Lujiazui Finance and Trade Zone Center, Pudong District, Shanghai

Total site are : 30,000 m2

Building area : 14,400 m2

Total floor space : 377,300 m2

Number of floors : 101 floors above the ground and 3 floors under the ground

Height of building : 492m

Structure : Steel-framed-and-reinforced-concrete composite, Steel-framed

Project Owner : Shanghai World Financial Center Co., Ltd.

Basic plan : Forest Overseas Co., Ltd.

Project architect & engineer : Mori Building Co., Ltd.

Design architect : Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates P.C. (KPF)

Structure engineer : Leslie E. Robertson Associates R.L.L.P. (LERA)

Architect of record : Shanghai Modern Architectural Design (Group) Co., Ltd.
East China Architectural Design & Research Institute Co., Ltd.

Contractor : China State Construction Engineering Corp.
Shanghai Construction (Group) General Co.

Completion : Early 2008

Site map and ground floor plan:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 2:00 AM
We can kiss the sky! - MC

could someone get an update after the weather clears up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive