HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 5:24 PM

River North Passes Unanimously

City Council voted today to approve the River North TIRZ.

What this means: Developers will have added incentives to building in the area. This is really going to change the face of Downtown San Antonio in terms of residential units. This plans envisions nearly 8000 new units of all classes of housing in the area as well as 750 thousand sq ft. of new office and 300 thousand sqft. of new retail. Watch this area evelove. It should begin realtively soon.

An Ordinance designating the River North Project area located in City Council District 1, as shown by the TIRZ Boundary Map to be bounded by the centerlines of the following streets: on the north by IH 35, to the west by N. St. Mary’s, Camden, Wilmington, Brooklyn, Augusta, and Baltimore Streets, to the south by 4th, Taylor, and 3rd Streets, and to the east by N. Alamo, 4th, Bonham, McCullough, Avenue E, Brooklyn, Union, 10th, E. Jones, and Broadway as a Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (“TIRZ”); describing the boundaries of the TIRZ; creating a board of directors for the TIRZ; providing for an effective date and a termination date for the TIRZ; naming the TIRZ “Reinvestment Zone Number Twenty-Six, City Of San Antonio, Texas”; establishing a tax increment fund; and containing other statutorily required provisions for the designation of a TIRZ. [Presented by David D. Garza, Director, Housing and Neighborhood Services; Jelynne LeBlanc Burley, Deputy City Manager]

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 6:05 PM

I fear this will be a lot of low-end housing.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:03 PM
James

Well, it said a mix of income...so we will see.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 8:52 PM
Endless Moments...

We will have to see. I doubt they would put "low income" housing on something as important as the riverwalk. I think its just political that they put that wording in to appease any people who are against "High End" development/housing. But we shall see, nice to see the area moving forward...

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 10:01 PM
BANNED

And the face of downtown development has just changed.

In a very good way.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2006, 10:53 PM

Is there a website for River North?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 12:56 AM

No way will it be low income.It is going to be a part of the Musuem Reach.It is going to be awesome.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
No way will it be low income.It is going to be a part of the Musuem Reach.It is going to be awesome.
Last time I checked there was so some low income apartments along the northern part of the river there, and fox tech high school certainly isn't a ritzy high school. Hopefully we'll get some tall apartments for mid-range incomes and nothing "cheaper".

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21bl0wed View Post
Last time I checked there was so some low income apartments along the northern part of the river there, and fox tech high school certainly isn't a ritzy high school. Hopefully we'll get some tall apartments for mid-range incomes and nothing "cheaper".
You can't compare that area of the river now as opposed to what it will be and look like once the Museum Reach is finished in a couple of years. Low income housing is there because there's no incentive yet for deevelopers to build along the River in the north downtown area. With the Riverwalk expansion (museum reach) and this TIRZ, they will have a lot of incentive to do so.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 4:01 AM
BANNED

Uptown Houston and Midtown Houston are both TIRZ. I'm sure there are plently of other examples.

On thing this TIRZ has over the two aforementioned districts is the Riverwalk expansion.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asobi Seksu View Post
You can't compare that area of the river now as opposed to what it will be and look like once the Museum Reach is finished in a couple of years. Low income housing is there because there's no incentive yet for deevelopers to build along the River in the north downtown area. With the Riverwalk expansion (museum reach) and this TIRZ, they will have a lot of incentive to do so.
So all the low housing that is already there is just going to move out? Hmm. I think they have better chances of making the area farther north nicer, than the immediate north part of dt.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 3:53 PM
BANNED

I don't know what will happen to any low income housing. However what is the address for the apartments? Are you sure its in the River North TIRZ district, because Fox Tech High School isn't.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asobi Seksu View Post
I don't know what will happen to any low income housing. However what is the address for the apartments? Are you sure its in the River North TIRZ district, because Fox Tech High School isn't.
No Then the apartments are not in the project. I seem to have thought that drainage ditch that ends under 10/35 near fox tech was part of the project.

Actually thinking about where the project is actually going to be...I think that area def. needs some sprucing up. We'll see if theres any good proposals come spring.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2006, 8:18 PM

there was a map outlining the TIRZ in the paper today. I will try to find it online and post it.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 12:54 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Definently a lot of potential in the area and a lot of incentive for future growth between this TRIZ and this Museum reach project through to Brackenridge.

Last edited by Double L; Dec 16, 2006 at 12:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2006, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Weston Solutions is relocating from 410 to the RIver North area. The TIRZ was a big factor in their decision. Along with their office being there, there will also be housing (condos) and a multi story parking garage.

I guess that would be the first (of many) projects announced for River North.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio