HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 4:50 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect
Yes, there are things like zoning, politics, and egos that do play a supporting role in how cities develop, to be sure...but they take a back seat to ecomomics. And by economics, I don't just mean balance sheets, revenue graphs, and returns on investments for individual developers, but also the broader economic scope of whole cities/regions on a national, and even international scale.
of course economics, both micro and macroscopic, play the biggest role, i never refuted that, but cities are not always "developed on economics, pure and simple". there are dreams involved, and dreams are very important, for any city.

make no little plans.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 9:29 PM

Quote:
There's an "Edit" button, so you can go back and fix up your original message, rather than making a new post with your fixed message.
Thanks, Markitect.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 10:09 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
There's an "Edit" button, so you can go back and fix up your original message, rather than making a new post with your fixed message.
The irony being that you made this message with a second post.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 12:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII
I think a lot of people are missing the point. The location of this tower is perfect, currently a piece of shit two level parking garage that yells at pedestrians to get the fuck away from it. It's just a couple hundred feet from Pier Wisconsin, the MAM, and Summerfest (and those are only the attractions on the lake, not to mention what's in the city), and to say this tower should be built somewhere else is rather perplexing to me.
good post CGII. This is the perfect location for this tower and the reason why people would spend the kind of money to live in it. The surrounding area is without a doubt the most spectacular area of Milwaukee--with the landmark MAM, Pier Wisconsin, and of course that big body of water. Not to mention the parks, dining, Summerfest, and the incredible views.

And this is off topic but..do you guys think that Menard could possibly fund a new arena for Milwaukee or buy the Bucks? I of course knew he was rich, but I heard on Bob and Brian today that he is like in the 40's for the Forbes richest men. And where do you guys think a new arena should be built if they decide to go that route?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 4:41 PM

A couple of weeks ago I saw a report on one of the sports casts, I think TMJ, saying that Mark Attanasio was talking with Kohl, suggesting that he was interested in buying the Bucks. Since then, not a word, which may mean anything.

Also, the Bradley Center board is reconsidering a major overhaul again with the idea that they can make it viable for years to come, which would be nice considering it's only 18 years old.

Now I want to know what's going on with the soccer stadium and MLS team.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 6:59 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

I really think it is unnecessary to build a new arena, the Bradley Center is a fantastic venue that the Buck's can't fill up anyway. But if it positively must be done, do it by replacing the Arena, and give the Arena's previous uses to the Bradley Center.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 6:56 AM

Speaking of the Bucks, what's up with their new colors, PINK and GREEN?
Who's the jackass that decided on that?
Those two colors go well together.
Shit, bring back the purple.
Even red and green don't match. Christmas colors.
The Green Bay Packers are GREEN and **YELLOW** and the Bucks are PINK and GREEN.
Blech.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei
Speaking of the Bucks, what's up with their new colors, PINK and GREEN?
Who's the jackass that decided on that?
Those two colors go well together.
Shit, bring back the purple.
Even red and green don't match. Christmas colors.
The Green Bay Packers are GREEN and **YELLOW** and the Bucks are PINK and GREEN.
Blech.
Ahem...the Bucks new (and old, again) colors ARE RED and green. Where are you getting the pink from? While I personally don't mind the red and green together (ho, ho, ho), I wish the Bucks would've updated that wall mounted trophy that passes as the logo. I mean, it's lifeless and difficult to relate to...especially for younger kids -- and they're the ones who pester their parents to buy them the merchandise!
Now, I'm not suggesting they go back to that cutesy cartoon-like "buck" they used to have, but something with a bold. brashy look -- maybe showing from a three-quarter angle to give it some depth.
That's enough on this. Let's talk about the better proposal winning out today for Park East corridor: Ruvin Development. This was a much better choice given the scope of the project and the more upscale hotel. Here's to you, Ruvin (and Rana Enterprises for your effort)!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 9:56 PM
BANNED

The new bucks jerseys are going to be awesome. Trust me. Its a dark green and red. The away jerseys look almost black and red.

The logo could use a spruceing up though. The Bucks head in the triange is a bit plain. It should be an angry looking Buck, not a dead one...perhaps with its antlers in a more threating position. BTW...what do you people think about the new Admirals logo? A cartooon skull with a Captian crunch hat?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Wait, Skyking, I haven't heard anything about it, but has the Ruvin proposal been favoured since they passed it on to the County Board?

EDIT:
I just looked it up on JSOnline. This is great news everyone, I'm delightedly happy to see such a fine project gain approval in this town. A toast for Ruvin.

Luxury hotel for Park East area approved
By TOM DAYKIN
tdaykin@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Sept. 28, 2006

A proposal for a luxury hotel, condominiums, offices and retail space in downtown Milwaukee's Park East area won approval today from the County Board, which voted to sell a county-owned site for the development.

The board voted 16-3 to sell the parcel, bordered by N. Old World 3rd and N. 4th streets and W. Juneau and W. McKinley avenues, to a group led by Ruvin Development Inc. and Dallas-based Gatehouse Capital Corp. Their plan calls for a 175-room hotel, 70 condos, 55,000 square feet of offices, 31,000 square feet of retail space and a 330-car parking structure.

In making that decision, the board rejected a rival proposal, from Rana Enterprises. Rana proposed a 202-room hotel, a gas station/convenience store, 14,000 square feet of offices, 9,000 square feet of additional retail space and a 400-car parking structure.

Robert Ruvin, Ruvin Development president, said the development firm plans to begin site preparation work within 90 days. He said he expects to begin construction on the new building within a year. It will take 18 months to 24 months to complete the project once construction begins, Ruvin said.

The three supervisors who voted against selling the land to Ruvin and Gatehouse were Toni Clark, Elizabeth Coggs-Jones and James White.

Today's vote came two months after the proposals were initially presented to the board's Committee on Economic and Community Development. The committee, at a special meeting before the board meeting, recommended approval for the Rana proposal. That occurred two weeks after the committee declined to make a decision on recommending a proposal.

County development officials said Ruvin's proposal would generate annual property taxes of just more than $2 million, compared with roughly $626,000 that Rana's development would generate each year.

Ruvin would create 500 construction jobs, while Rana would create 131 to 154 construction jobs, according to the developers. Ruvin offered to buy the parcel for $2.9 million, compared with $2.8 million offered by Rana.

Also, Rana Enterprises President C.A. Rana said he would guarantee a $500,000 payment to a county fund to help develop affordable housing in Milwaukee. He had previously guaranteed a $150,000 payment for that effort.

Meanwhile, Ruvin officials emphasized their partnership with Gatehouse, which has developed luxury hotels in Los Angeles, San Diego and Dallas. Ruvin's projects include the $35 million conversion of the 169-unit Blatz Apartments, 270 E. Highland Ave., into condos.

Rana is known for operating Milwaukee-area gas stations and convenience stores. Also, Rana once worked for a firm that has developed mid-price hotels in Canada.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 10:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ HOLY SMOKES! that shit is hot!

way to go milwaukee.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 12:23 AM

The Admirals logo grew on me some. It's definitely fresh. Possibly the coolest logo in minor league hockey, anyway.

The Bucks uniforms back in the 70's and 80's with the green and red and white stripes on the sides were the best. Sidney Moncrief!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:31 PM
devout Pizzatarian

here's a ground level perspective of that dope-ass ruvin project. i count 21 floors.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriol
The Admirals logo grew on me some. It's definitely fresh. Possibly the coolest logo in minor league hockey, anyway.
That new logo for the Admirals is...well, dumb-looking to say the least. I can understand that sports teams need to change look from time to time for two main reasons:
First, to get fans interested and sell merchandise; and second, to be hip and stay with the times, man.
In the case of the Admirals, I can't imagine they realize much revenue at all due to merchandising (perhaps they'll sell a few more season tix...but, probably not) because they are strictly a local team with a small - albeit loyal - following. And, as for them changing the logo to be current with fashion, somebody sold them a bill of goods with that design. Is that skeleton head that of a dead admiral? Last I checked, skeletons can't skate very well, primarily because they're...oh yeah, DEAD!!! Where is the connection with an admiral?! I wish the Admirals would have stated why they think this logo is a good one -- probably, because they can't! And the oh so trendy black color, ooooh, so cool -- and soooo done already. Match the black with the blue and white and a dead guy with a stupid grin wearing a hat and you get one dumb-ass logo. Sorry. That's just one opinion from a dumb ass...
What's going on with Lake Pointe? Ghazi? The Renaissance Hotel project in the Third Ward?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:45 PM

Why do you think this Ruvin design is "dope-ass" Steely Dan?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:49 PM

^^^^I think the newspaper article said 20 floors. That is fantastic. The Park East is finally starting to take shape.

I'm glad they picked this one, a mid-rise built above a gas station is a bit odd.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 1:59 PM

Like him or not, Mark Belling is a sharp cookie and is well-connected and informed. I read where he says a major project is being planned --the largest ever in the area -- for some 500 condos to be built south of Downtown. If there's any truth to this, wondering if it's in the Third Ward...
Anyone else hear anything about this?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 2:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking
Why do you think this Ruvin design is "dope-ass" Steely Dan?
because i love it. it's beautiful. i love the staggered window pattern and the way in which it opens up the building as it rises, fading away to the nothingness of the sky itself. it looks like it will also have a very inviting street level presence with big welcoming glass wall retail spaces. of course, a lot of the potential success of the design will come down to materials and execution (just as with any design), but it looks fantastic on paper thus far. this could be the coolest thing built in milwaukee since calatrava's bird.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBruce
^^^^I think the newspaper article said 20 floors. That is fantastic. The Park East is finally starting to take shape.

I'm glad they picked this one, a mid-rise built above a gas station is a bit odd.
Agreed. A gas station, however nicely-appointed, just doesn't seem to fit in this area. And while I sort of liked the rendering of Rana's plan, I think we're starting to get "white happy" with all of the new (and proposed) buildings in this town. The Ruvin design looks a bit quirky, but that's ok -- we need a blend of looks and this is a significant development...sans gas pumps, thank goodness.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
because i love it. it's beautiful. i love the staggered window pattern and the way in which it opens up the building as it rises, fading away to the nothingness of the sky itself. it looks like it will also have a very inviting street level presence with big welcoming glass wall retail spaces. of course, a lot of the potential success of the design will come down to materials and execution (just as with any design), but it looks fantastic on paper thus far. this could be the coolest thing built in milwaukee since calatrava's bird.
Well put. I guess I thought you were being sarcastic. The staggered windows do represent something different for Milwaukee. It seems Calatrava really opened up the previously-provincial look of the buildings here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations