HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: What is the second most urban US city after NYC?
Boston 3 5.00%
Chicago 28 46.67%
DC 0 0%
LA 6 10.00%
Philly 7 11.67%
San Francisco 16 26.67%
some other city 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Manhattan has more people on its 22sq miles than the entire 227 sq miles of Chicago - residential, tourist, office, etc.
You have not proven that.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

This is a good study to read: https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf

Old one, but good reading material. From 2012.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:42 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I'd say Chicago followed by Philly. DC doesn't feel all that urban and SF/Boston have quite small urban cores.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Toronto and Montreal would be safely in that same nebulous second tier, not really any obviously higher or lower than those five American cities.

But, not really relevant as this is one just one of many other USA-only threads!
I think Chicago would still be a clear 2nd and then Montreal 3rd, then Toronto, then you'd get Boston and Philly, etc.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:44 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
But I think that distinction is meaningless here, Tyson and Miami Beach are part of the main urban area just as much as north York or Eglington, which are only part of Toronto due to amalgamation
Sure, but North York has basically functioned as part of the city since the 1950's when it became a borough within the two-tiered Municipality Of Metropolitan Toronto, which became the single tier City Of Toronto in 1998. Yonge and Eglinton is within the Old City of Toronto.

Brooklyn is only part of NYC due to amalgamation, too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

This is a good study to read: https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf

Old one, but good reading material. From 2012.
Still hasn't proven anything. Manhattan is its own county, so it will look different from Cook County, which covers Chicago and many of its suburbs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Right but he was saying "more people" which can be surmised that Chicago within its 227 sq-miles most likely does not have 4-4.5 million people on any given day.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Right but he was saying "more people" which can be surmised that Chicago within its 227 sq-miles most likely does not have 4-4.5 million people on any given day.
But how do you know that? Chicago metro is about half of NYC metro. So why wouldn't it be plausible that if Manhattan grows by 3M during the day, Chicago grows by 1.5M? That would put Chicago's daytime population well above 4M.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
No I didn’t, you just made that up.

Manhattan has more people on its 22sq miles than the entire 227 sq miles of Chicago - residential, tourist, office, etc.
New Orleans’ French Quarter and CBD during Mardi Gras has more people in a 1 square mile area than Manhattan has in a 2 square mile area at any time of the year

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I think Los Angeles is pretty legible from the standpoint of Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Mexico City etc.
Yeah, to me, LA is probably the most globally translatable U.S. metro.

It's the American metro most similar to Tokyo, Beijing, Jakarta, Tehran, Sao Paulo, Santiago, Bogota and Mexico City. I think it's a legit contender for #2 most urban, even if it has nontraditional urbanity in the Eastern U.S./Western European context.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
New Orleans’ French Quarter and CBD during Mardi Gras has more people in a 1 square mile area than Manhattan has in a 2 square mile area at any time of the year
I have no idea how one would measure this, but sounds wildly implausible. Mardi Gras is a two-month window. New Orleans probably doesn't have more than 10% the hotel capacity of Manhattan.

I had the misfortune of attending a conference at a hotel right on Canal in the middle of Mardi Gras, and it wasn't that crazy, except right on Canal. The parades are so spread out. All the big parades are on one street.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I have no idea how one would measure this, but sounds wildly implausible. Mardi Gras is a two-month window. New Orleans probably doesn't have more than 10% the hotel capacity of Manhattan.

I had the misfortune of attending a conference at a hotel right on Canal in the middle of Mardi Gras, and it wasn't that crazy, except right on Canal. The parades are so spread out. All the big parades are on one street.
Mardis Gras is a single day.

Carnival is the longer season you’re speaking of... from the feast of the epiphany/3 kings/twelfth night/etc... usually around 40-50 days before Lent.

And anyway, there are more sperm in 1 mL of my semen than there are people in the entire NYC CSA

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 11:58 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Mardis Gras is a single day.

Carnival is the longer season you’re speaking of... from the feast of the epiphany/3 kings/twelfth night/etc... usually around 40-50 days before Lent.

And anyway, there are more sperm in 1 mL of my semen than there are people in the entire NYC CSA
New Orleans celebrates Mardi Gras for a good week or so leading up to Fat Tuesday.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
New Orleans celebrates Mardi Gras for a good week or so leading up to Fat Tuesday.
New Orleans celebrates Carnival from Epiphany to Mardi Gras.

Depending on when Easter falls, it's usually 40-50 days.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:15 AM
Dryer lint inspector

I'm talking specifically about the celebrations; the beads, tourists, music and parades is within a one/ two week window of Mardi Gras itself.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I'm talking specifically about the celebrations; the beads, tourists, music and parades is within a one/ two week window of Mardi Gras itself.
Yeah, I know what you mean... tourists... yes, mainly from about a week or so before Mardi Gras, and peaking in population from the Friday before until Ash Wednesday.

But celebrations (parades, music, parties, etc.) start on Epiphany and continue until Mardi Gras. I experienced it firsthand for 5 years in my mid 20s.

For example, in this coming year, there are 23 krewe parades in New Orleans proper (not including all the celebrations in Old Metairie and in any of the other suburbs) between Jan 6th and Feb 16th. Mardi Gras is Feb 25th. Locals definitely party hard the whole time... not much work really gets done in New Orleans from around Christmas to Ash Wednesday.

Anyway, this is way off topic obviously. But was only made to tongue-in-cheek point out the unproven claim of "Manhattan has more people on its 22sq miles than the entire 227 sq miles of Chicago - residential, tourist, office, etc."

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Still hasn't proven anything. Manhattan is its own county, so it will look different from Cook County, which covers Chicago and many of its suburbs.
I have no idea what you are talking about at this point - what does all of Cook County have to do with this. I think you are confusing yourself.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:32 AM

Here’s my hot take contribution: Boston’s North End is the most urban neighborhood in the country outside of NYC. Without a single skyscraper or subway station too.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
But how do you know that? Chicago metro is about half of NYC metro. So why wouldn't it be plausible that if Manhattan grows by 3M during the day, Chicago grows by 1.5M? That would put Chicago's daytime population well above 4M.
Serious question, are you being difficult on purpose? I'm not sure how you are not grasping this...I'll lay it out one more time for you:

Manhattan has a daytime population of ~4M people

The city of Chicago (not all of cook county, not dupage county, not lake county - the city of Chicago) has a residential population of ~2.7M - the daytime population of the CITY OF CHICAGO swells by about 800,000 people. Bringing the total DAYTIME POPULATION of CITY OF CHICAGO to ~3.5M people.

Now for the mathletes out there, 4M people is greater than 3.5M people.

SO...Given the above, what I said earlier still holds true:

Manhattan's 22sq miles has a larger population than the entire 227sq miles of Chicago.

Get it?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:10 AM
cities|transit|croissants

SF and Boston aren't getting enough love in this thread. The Tenderloin and the North End are the most urban neighborhoods in America outside of NY.

If you're want endless horizontal expanses of urbanism, then yes, Chicago and Philly are clear numbers 2 and 3. And that's a legit way to measure. But if you want peak urban experience in a single location--a different but no less legit measurement--then Tenderloin and North End are 2 and 3.

I fully admit DC isn't competitive with the top 3 in either category.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions