HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Who will you vote for in the 2016 Manitoba Provincial Election?
New Democratic Party of Manitoba (NDP) 12 15.58%
Progressive Conservative Party of Manitoba (PC) 36 46.75%
Manitoba Liberal Party 19 24.68%
Other / Not Voting 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 3:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Bokhari won the Liberal leadership with 431 votes, compared to 285 for Dougald Lamont and 131 for Bob Axworthy. In other words, it was roughly as competitive as a PC riding nomination race in a safe Southern Manitoba seat.

Being Liberal leader still gets you a lot of exposure at election time. It's still taken fairly seriously. On that basis, it's a little surprising that the last Liberal leadership race attracted three candidates who were simply not cut out to lead a party.
The three of them together couldn't lead a one car funeral procession!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Yeah, Today's headline has Selinger calling him out as Homophobic?
Pretty desperate. Im a big proponent of Gay rights and Pallister made some less than ideal remarks years ago. But Selinger is so desperate its laughable. He's a great example of not just a Captain going down with the ship but the Captain taking the ship down with him.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
True. I guess we can give Palister the point for being a little more human then Selinger lol.

The liberals have run the worst campaign I have ever seen. Who was the brainchild that put her in power as the leader? I'm all for a woman. But she is as dumb as a doorstop. It's embarrassing watching her. It's like the female version of Donald Trump. Clueless to everything .....like the tax funny. Asked about last years taxes and she isn ummmmmmm. Then asked again and she says she file her 2013 taxes. Like ffs do you know what year it is?

That Green Party guy should have been with another party. To bad as I like him.
How could she admit she didnt think she filed her 2014 taxes? If she cant handle her own finances, how can she run the Province? That's the obvious take away.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 4:55 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Charities have revenue, expenses, and don't make a profit. Government is the same (as it should be). That is entirely different from a business.
It's not that simple. The big problem is too much muda.

Modern business, like ones that are ISO certified operate using methods of continuous improvement. They continually work to improve the quality of the product or service they provide while also making attempts to reduce costs. The method (or model) is a requirement to a retained ISO certification and is constantly audited.

Doesn't matter if profit or loss is in the equation. The process of continuous improvement can work without it and therefore can work in government.

Thank you Mr. Toyoda.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 6:21 PM

[QUOTE=Riverman;7406150]It's not that simple. The big problem is too much muda.

Modern business, like ones that are ISO certified operate using methods of continuous improvement. They continually work to improve the quality of the product or service they provide while also making attempts to reduce costs. The method (or model) is a requirement to a retained ISO certification and is constantly audited.

Doesn't matter if profit or loss is in the equation. The process of continuous improvement can work without it and therefore can work in government.

Thank you Mr. Toyoda.[/QUOT

they should start lean processes at cra federally for sure.. if that is what you are talking about. they don't really seems to have a handle on some major issues. pet peeve - why in Canada do you have to buy private on line tax filing programs when in countries like Brazil you get it free from the revenue agency..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 10:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It's not that simple. The big problem is too much muda.

Thank you Mr. Toyoda.

That method isn't exclusive to business. It is also used in charities and not for profits.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 11:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

It is used basically everywhere. Except our government. So anyone with a hint of business experience (read: NOT unions or NDP) would have some knowledge of this.

Presently, we throw money and people at problems to no avail, other than to grow the civil service and its buerocracy. This has to, and WILL stop under the next government. Thank goodness.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 11:54 PM
Heart of the Continent

I'm not convinced it will stop.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
It is used basically everywhere. Except our government. So anyone with a hint of business experience (read: NOT unions or NDP) would have some knowledge of this.

Presently, we throw money and people at problems to no avail, other than to grow the civil service and its buerocracy. This has to, and WILL stop under the next government. Thank goodness.
Is that they're doing it with your Liberal government in Toronto?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:30 PM

I agree in principle with Riverman on this. just have to watch that you don't enrich consultants at the taxpayers expense with few results. I think they had a pretty bad experience along these lines in Saskatchewan recently with the goal of bringing lean into the health care system. haven't followed it closely though.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy View Post
I agree in principle with Riverman on this. just have to watch that you don't enrich consultants at the taxpayers expense with few results. I think they had a pretty bad experience along these lines in Saskatchewan recently with the goal of bringing lean into the health care system. haven't followed it closely though.
Lean has been highly politicized in SK, with the NDP and unions being strongly opposed from the outset for ideological reasons. It is very hard to assess whether it has been effective with all the political spin.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Lean has been highly politicized in SK, with the NDP and unions being strongly opposed from the outset for ideological reasons. It is very hard to assess whether it has been effective with all the political spin.
I can believe that. Thanks for weighing in.

The role of unions in society is an interesting question. To me, real unions are in the private sector, where there is an economic incentive on both sides towards accommodation. In fact many successful lean companies are highly unionized.
In the public sector the calculus changes fundamentally because the negotiations are between an economic interest on the one hand and a political interest on the other. Collective bargaining in that context is really an ass-covering exercise.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:14 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Is that they're doing it with your Liberal government in Toronto?
The government of the City of Toronto is not associated with a political party AFAIK. Besides, what does that have to do with the election here? Or are you just being yourself?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:27 PM

Maybe she didn't file taxes because she wasn't working and her husband was the sole provider?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:42 PM

she should have said that to the media, instead of saying 'uumm i dont know if i filed takes in 2014 (stops to think)....yea i think i might have'??

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Maybe she didn't file taxes because she wasn't working and her husband was the sole provider?
She is single so she has to live on what she earned as a lawyer, I wonder if the Manitoba Liberal party pays their leader so poorly she has no income to report in 2014?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:57 PM

she actually lives at home with her parents, no lie

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:59 PM

lol.... what a disaster. Even if she didn't have income that year, wouldn't she have to file a claim to the government telling them that? Otherwise the Feds would come after her eventually for not paying taxes in 2014.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:00 PM

something just came to me, have any of the Federal Party leaders been in Manitoba to help support their Provincial wing?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
lol.... what a disaster. Even if she didn't have income that year, wouldn't she have to file a claim to the government telling them that? Otherwise the Feds would come after her eventually for not paying taxes in 2014.
If you don't owe money (feds don't have T4's etc in their possession) or they think you have overpaid and due a refund, they don't chase after you as fast to file as if they think you owe them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan