HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:33 PM
菠蘿油

That first Laval photo is a perfect example of what's wrong with the suburbs. The residential area is actually pretty dense and could probably support some walkable neighbourhood businesses. But instead it's set up so that everyone needs to drive to the big box store just a few hundred metres away.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 12:07 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
Philly Pennsylvania
Reminds me of the downtown University of Calgary campus parkade...

It’s especially pretty when it’s windy, as the steel tiles move with the wind.

Some other decent examples in Calgary...

The Colours of Battistella (local family owned developer)

https://www.juliedempsey.ca/Colours.ubr

SAIT Parkade by Bing Thom

https://www.archdaily.com/129142/sai...ext_project=no

Annnd... can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

This one is UC in the East Village. It will double as a tech incubator hub on the bottom two floors with community amenities in the centre open-air section. The parking floors are designed to be converted to office or hotel space once non-autonomous vehicles become obsolete...

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jun 30, 2020 at 12:22 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 3:32 AM
菠蘿油

Crazy that the garage in Philadelphia is called a parkade. I've never seen that word used outside of Western Canada.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:16 AM

I give you West Edmonton Mall's parkade, t'was bragged as being the largest in the world when built.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5223.../data=!3m1!1e3

It has 3 levels in some parts.
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5242...7i16384!8i8192

If you go to the mall, there is a 50% chance that the parking lot will be full and you will be driving in circles waiting for someone to leave.
Take a virtual tour around the mall and you will see what I mean.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:41 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
That first Laval photo is a perfect example of what's wrong with the suburbs. The residential area is actually pretty dense and could probably support some walkable neighbourhood businesses. But instead it's set up so that everyone needs to drive to the big box store just a few hundred metres away.

Canadian suburbia is actually frustrating in that it is "almost there".

A few more through-streets and corner businesses, and (say) Markham is outer Philadelphia. It's not pretty, but it's rows of houses. It can work.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 1:10 PM

Parkades are never going to be a thing of beauty but at least those ones in Calgary posted above make some kind of effort to improve their appearance.

If you put some kind of non-parking related use on the ground level and add something to the exterior to give it a sculptural type of character like in that Philadelphia example, it is possible to make parkades tolerable in the urban context...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Another problem with a lot of parkades (as well as underground parking) is the entry/exit system. Someone is always trying to make a left-hand turn, and pedestrians have to scramble to avoid being hit or very nearly so.

As others have said, ground level retail and an attempt to make the parkade levels/ramps less utilitarian can do wonders for their appearance.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Another problem with a lot of parkades (as well as underground parking) is the entry/exit system. Someone is always trying to make a left-hand turn, and pedestrians have to scramble to avoid being hit or very nearly so.

As others have said, ground level retail and an attempt to make the parkade levels/ramps less utilitarian can do wonders for their appearance.
I wonder if cities have the power to make left hand turns from parking garages illegal.

I'm highly supportive of Montreal's no right turns on a red light. Makes the roads much safer and the drives much more relax (don't have a guy in a Ram 1500 beeping at me constantly while I'm trying to figure out if it's safe to go). I wish we would implement this in Ottawa, at the very least downtown.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:26 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Reminds me of the downtown University of Calgary campus parkade...

It’s especially pretty when it’s windy, as the steel tiles move with the wind.

Some other decent examples in Calgary...

The Colours of Battistella (local family owned developer)

https://www.juliedempsey.ca/Colours.ubr

SAIT Parkade by Bing Thom

https://www.archdaily.com/129142/sai...ext_project=no

Annnd... can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

This one is UC in the East Village. It will double as a tech incubator hub on the bottom two floors with community amenities in the centre open-air section. The parking floors are designed to be converted to office or hotel space once non-autonomous vehicles become obsolete...

Although it borders a bit on Stampitecture this parkade on 9th ave is also a good example:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0449...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:30 PM
Fake News

10th Ave has some of the worst parkades in the entire city:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0434...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:32 PM
Fake News

Any other universities hide their Fine Arts department above a parkade like U of C? Took me forever to find it when I had a drawing class there in first year.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Concordia's fine arts department is actually in a repurposed parking garage. If you don't believe me, see the before and after at https://www.concordia.ca/offices/arc...ore-after.html

concordia.ca

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Very true. There are many examples of parking garages that are not only attractive but actually add to a city's urbanity. Most parking garages are sterile and unforgiving because they were allowed to be built that way and not because they had to.

This is just like a subway/rapid transit station...........some are as sterile and alienating as hell and others attractive and welcoming.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:47 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I wonder if cities have the power to make left hand turns from parking garages illegal.

I'm highly supportive of Montreal's no right turns on a red light. Makes the roads much safer and the drives much more relax (don't have a guy in a Ram 1500 beeping at me constantly while I'm trying to figure out if it's safe to go). I wish we would implement this in Ottawa, at the very least downtown.
Why wouldn't cities be able to make no left turns illegal from private property onto a public boulevard?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:57 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Parkades are never going to be a thing of beauty but at least those ones in Calgary posted above make some kind of effort to improve their appearance.

If you put some kind of non-parking related use on the ground level and add something to the exterior to give it a sculptural type of character like in that Philadelphia example, it is possible to make parkades tolerable in the urban context...
The Philadelphia facade is beautiful.

Parking garages are built like bunkers. Automation which saves space in expensive urban environments doesn't need to be built to such concrete standards. The showroom feel with bright lights showcasing the cars can be beautiful. Until then, the best solution will be to put parking behind residential or commercial units.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Video Link

In the United States, parking spaces collectively occupy a size equal to the state of West Virginia.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:14 PM

edit

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 4:52 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Retail at grade helps, like this one in Kensington:https://goo.gl/maps/J3VNu1YVagk5BwmS8
In my perfect Toronto world a parking garage like this (talking about use, architecture notwithstanding) would exist somewhere near most urban subway stations and in major destination neighbourhoods such as Little Italy, West Queen West, etc. Any portion that fronts a main street would have retail but there are also plenty of opportunities behind commercial buildings, some of which is already pay public parking. In return get rid of street parking and use the curb lane for combination of patio space like is happening now during COVID and expanded pedestrian and cycling infrastructure. Traffic concerns could be largely ameliorated by adding left turn lanes at key intersections - really the curb lane is barely used as a traffic lane on most streets anyways.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada