HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite design!
TorontoDrew 1 5.00%
koops65 1 5.00%
urbandreamer 8 40.00%
dleung 5 25.00%
ericmacm 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 16, 2020, 3:01 PM

I agree. Who wants to be next to pick the site?

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 12:59 AM

Ya Halifax or St Johns.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 1:00 AM

Also maybe allow for multiple pics in the polling. It wasatough choice for me.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 2:09 AM
recession proof

In Halifax the large block between Robie Street/Young Street/Windsor Street/Almon Street could be redeveloped with the exception of the unfortunately ugly Monaghan Square Condos, 6080 Young Tower (office building) and the historic Halifax Forum building. Let's limit the height to under 20 storeys. Clean sheet design do whatever you think would make the area more desirable from a residential/shopping perspective: a new neighbourhood in the style of Pan Am Village, Olympic Village or Cité du Multimédia.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 17, 2020 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:24 PM

Damn, that's a huge plot of land, almost as big as Halifax's downtown core itself. How long should the deadline be? For something this big, I'll definitely need at least a month.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 6:40 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Do Halifax.

But if you're desperate, the fucking Oceanex storage lot where they store all the Japanese cars imported into Newfoundland. It's such a huge gash near the core.

I wish these maps would show elevation. The change between that parking lot and the brown old-age home at the lower right is probably 500 feet lol Even that highway is many times higher than the height of the houses on Southside Road. They have landslides and avalanches there regularly enough that I've been alive for two lol

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:04 PM
recession proof

^Yeah that's a difficult site. I like to look at real world high density building sites. The Oceanex yard would be hard to get approved for high rises being surrounded by low density housing.

The site I've selected in Halifax looks big; however look at it as phase 1 of 4 in the area that extends all the way to the Fairview Cove container terminal, between Robie/Massachusetts Avenue and Windsor Street. The block I've focused on would be more of a master planning exercise: street layout, parking requirements, green space, residential blocks, facade design, how would you integrate the historic hockey arena/farmer's market and build around the Monaghan Square project. Individual building structure and floor plans aren't necessary in this round, although you could do a few for various residential styles eg townhouse, midrise, flats. Suggested due date: 21 June 2020.

The rules
1) 20 storey height limit
2) Monaghan Square Condos site must be retained
3) integration of historic Halifax Forum (hockey arena/farmers market)
4) 6080 Young office block - options to retain, adaptive reuse or redevelop
5) public park space
6) some commercial retail at grade
The site: Young St/Robie St/Windsor St/Almon St in Halifax's northend.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 17, 2020 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:32 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The Halifax site has the regional Canada Post sorting facility which as far as I'm aware isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Sure it's all make believe and you could just pretend and treat is like it was vacant, but... then that would apply to anything. The area that extends up to Fairview cove is largely military and industrial/commercial and doesn't have much in terms of actually vacant land either. It may not be desirable from an urban enthusiast POV, but most isn't going anywhere.

I think it would be interesting to see the site of the Barrington St. Superstore (near the train station) developed. Superstore is basically just a rebranded Loblaws. The new development could include an urban format version of the store in the lower level. This would probably not be too big a stretch in fact. It would also be interesting to see how people would develop all the ugly surface parking along Valour Way, on the grounds of the Eastcoast Navy docks. It's still near downtown and the buildings would be very visible in the skyline and from the bridge. I doubt the navy is actually going to develop any time soon but the redevelopment of a government-owned parking lot is still probably more plausible than that of a government occupied mail facility.

Also, has Andrew said when he'll be posting his submission? I was waiting to see them all before deciding who to vote for.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:37 PM
recession proof

A Canada Post sorting station could easily be integrated into the new development. Mixed uses are encouraged. The superstore site is really just a 2 tower development on a podium. Valour Way could work -- essentially a long narrow strip of land where buildings under 12 storeys would be appropriate.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 7:55 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm not sure I'd classify the supertore site as being prohibitively small given that it's a heck of a lot bigger than the first site. I mean, it's about 18k m2. Yet you managed to shoe horn three towers onto less than half that.

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 8:17 PM
recession proof

Ok so I opened Google Earth and Sketchup and took a look at the site: 1075 Barrington Street. Let's do it. Only rules: height under 20 storeys with parking and a large format grocery store on the site. 15 June 2020 due date. (Wow that Southport apartment building looked sexy in renderings but in reality it's quite ugly. As a bonus you could include the Tim Hortons site if you want.)

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 17, 2020 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 12:38 AM
recession proof

I can fit 6 Toronto-style balcony towers on the Barrington Superstore site: 1100 units in towers and a further 500 units in the podium, a Superstore on the ground floor with a two storey parking garage above.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:15 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Why only 20 floors? Isn't that kind of short?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:22 AM
recession proof

Context is everything: check the neighbouring building heights: most are midrise with a few in mid teens. Immediately next door is Southport apartments, a new development that is only 6 storeys. Across the street from Edward Cornwallis Park is another new 6 storey condo building. The Westin hotel is 12 storeys. I imagine Halifax has strict urban design guidelines and possibly a height restriction in this area. The gas station means soil remediation: probably residential uses aren't even allowed -- contaminated land at the railway terminus? Twenty storeys is likely too high for the site: I suspect six storeys is the limit and that means we're limited here to that height.

Read about the site's history: https://hmhps.ca/sites/cornwallis-park-and-statue (Halifax has made so many insane architectural and political blunders over the years kind of sad.)

There's a reason tall towers only go up in the bigger cities.

The other site I suggested is arguably easier to work with although it too isn't a stupid tall site: Monaghan Square apartments are 18 storeys.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 18, 2020 at 1:48 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:12 AM

I like this site better. As great as a giant urban planning exercise would be, I feel like we can put a greater focus on the quality of our designs with a smaller site. In this case, I can accept the imposition of a height limit as well, it makes sense for Halifax.

I have been messing around with some early massing, and this site does actually have a lot of potential going for it. I've got a good idea of how I can play off of the existing facilities in the area.

Last edited by ericmacm; May 18, 2020 at 5:03 AM.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:26 AM
recession proof

^I'm going to suggest either a six or eight storey height limit here. After playing around with the typical balcony tower concept and reading about the site's history I realize it's time to do something different. Besides a tall tower is really just stacking the same facade design upwards: yawn.

6 or 8 storeys?

Would you pay $1700 for a 1 bedroom apartment here?! https://killamreit.com/apartments/ha...ort-apartments

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 3:00 AM

I disagree with having such a short height limit here. Halifax's tallest tower, Fenwick Tower, is just down the street. A height limit of 20s would be fine, translating to roughly 80m for an office or roughly 60m for a condo, both of which are shorter than Fenwick and are within the typical range of tall building heights in Halifax.

In my personal opinion, I think that being limited to 6 or 8s won't make for a fun competition, especially for a site this big. I do appreciate that you're trying to go for something different this round, but I completely disagree with having such a strict height limit.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:01 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Why the sudden fixation on height limits? There were none in Toronto, although there should have been, and there were none in Winnipeg either, so why here?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:02 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Besides a tall tower is really just stacking the same facade design upwards: yawn.
Not necessarily...

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:04 AM
recession proof

Suggested reading:
https://www.halifax.ca/about-halifax...ifax-plan-area
https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...dartmouth.html

- Schedule S-1: Downtown Halifax Design Manual

"2.2 Precinct 2: Barrington Street South The following general criteria shall apply: a. Retain, and to respect in future development, the small to mid-size types of buildings, or the effect achieved by buildings of that size range, and their relationship to the street, that currently exists along Barrington Street. Buildings that occupy larger floorplates and frontages should have design elements that replicate the existing rhythm of individual storefronts along the street. b. Ensure that buildings create an animated streetscape through active ground floor uses and pedestrian scaled design features. c. Infill development along Hollis Street should be of a similar scale and type as that found on Barrington Street. d. New development shall appropriately frame Cornwallis Park and respect the train station as a historic landmark."

"3.1.3 Streetwall Height To ensure a comfortable human-scaled street enclosure, streetwall height should generally be no less than 11 metres and generally no greater than a height proportional (1:1) to the width of the street as measured from building face to building face. Accordingly, maximum streetwall heights are defined and correspond to the varying widths of downtown streets – generally 15.5m, 17m or 18.5m. Consistent with the principle of creating strong edges to major public open spaces, a streetwall height of 21.5m is permitted around the perimeter of Cornwallis Park."

I love these rules:
"g. Stucco and stucco-like finishes shall not be used as a principle exterior wall material. h. Vinyl siding, plastic, plywood, concrete block, EIFS (exterior insulation and finish systems where stucco is applied to rigid insulation), and metal siding utilizing exposed fasteners are prohibited. i. Darkly tinted or mirrored glass is prohibited. Clear glass is preferrable to light tints. Glare reduction coatings are preferred."

Greater Halifax has a 27 storey height limit although many sites are severely restricted to buildings under 6 storeys.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 18, 2020 at 5:30 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada