HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I have been very disappointed since their move to BMO and MLSE taking over in how inconsistent their front office has been and how their community outreach has been weak or misguided trying to go after millennials in liberty village who don't seem to care about football.
You can't be reading the same things I have, your slant on here is often quite negative towards the league and in this case erroneous. There is a big difference in not yet achieving the results (most of us want) and doing nothing at all.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
You can't be reading the same things I have, your slant on here is often quite negative towards the league and in this case erroneous. There is a big difference in not yet achieving results and doing nothing at all.
The CFL is my favorite sport to watch by far and watching my Blue Bombers play has really helped me while I fight cancer this year. I may be negative at times but it is out of frustration as I want to see the league do well and its very annoying seeing the fan apathy in Toronto in a city over 6 million people that can barley draw 10,000 fans a game these days. I think it is fair to criticize and not just label people as haters who disagree with your point of view and think that everything the argos are doing is right when its obvious it is not working.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The CFL is my favorite sport to watch by far and watching my Blue Bombers play has really helped me while I fight cancer this year. I may be negative at times but it is out of frustration as I want to see the league do well and its very annoying seeing the fan apathy in Toronto in a city over 6 million people that can barley draw 10,000 fans a game these days. I think it is fair to criticize and not just label people as haters who disagree with your point of view and think that everything the argos are doing is right when its obvious it is not working.
Nobody is more frustrated and annoyed than me about fan apathy in Toronto but tell me how does negative posting help build a fanbase. When newcomers come to sites seeking information and they are greeted with disinformation and negativity (for usually no good reason) please tell me how that helps.

I am not saying stick your head in the sand or deny bad news but negative conjecture on things we don't have a clue about does not help at all. As an example, people just bitched and moaned about the Als last year totally oblivious to the talent they were building. Look at them now, do you really think they won't be sold to an owner that won't add something to that franchise? Have they not become a great feel good turnaround story.

Everybody can help by adopting a more positive attitude, be a cheerleader. People are attracted to things other people are attracted to. It's far too easy to be lazy and negative. If you love the game spread the word and sell it, lots of haters out there, they don't need any help.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 1:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I do every week and there are not many fans left on there because their fan base is so small and the fans who are on that forum still gripe about the cost of tickets its a grumpy old man forum on there.
Because of their structure and format most forums these days are filled with grumpy old men, this one included. Social media and other resources would give one a better idea of what's going on. Forums are....not going to give you a clear picture of what's going on.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Everybody can help by adopting a more positive attitude, be a cheerleader. People are attracted to things other people are attracted to. It's far too easy to be lazy and negative. If you love the game spread the word and sell it, lots of haters out there, they don't need any help.
You're asking us all to be cheerleaders for... the Argos?

OK I am with you guys when it comes to seeing the team's fanbase re-energized and that stadium full, but cheering for the Double Blue on the field is just asking too much of me man!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:39 PM

Looks like the Wetenhalls may be back when it comes to being part of an ownership group with the Als'

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...ership-picture

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Yes, the sports themselves do the marketing. That's what i'm saying. MLSE owns sports teams that require less marketing than, say, the CFL because they're a commodity that is very easy to sell.

I think the prestigiousness of the sport, professional league, and the team (in the case of the Leafs) do the marketing themselves. The Leafs are the Leafs and sell seats regardless of how the team is doing and the city's demographics effectively ensure crowds at both Raptors and TFC. There isn't much marketing to actually do to bring awareness to these teams.
As others have alluded to, awareness and loyalty to a team doesn't simply fall out of the sky. What you see with successful teams is the legacy of years and sometimes decades of marketing and brand-building. Once a really solid die has been cast, it looks easy.

Also, sometimes once-powerful teams fail in and move from markets that were thought to be permanently theirs, in sports that are "big time" and culturally significant.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As others have alluded to, awareness and loyalty to a team doesn't simply fall out of the sky. What you see with successful teams is the legacy of years and sometimes decades of marketing and brand-building. Once a really solid die has been cast, it looks easy.
Ding ding ding, someone gets it. The Leafs don't prosper in the absence of marketing... the reason they are such a box office success is precisely because of decades of masterful marketing. That's why I said that sales and marketing are two different things... when you do a great job marketing, the product practically sells itself... that's why no one has to go door to door trying to extol the virtues of iPhones in an effort to get you to buy one.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
You're asking us all to be cheerleaders for... the Argos?

OK I am with you guys when it comes to seeing the team's fanbase re-energized and that stadium full, but cheering for the Double Blue on the field is just asking too much of me man!
My support for the Argos extends so far as cheering for them to remain alive so that they can be used as a punching bag by the Bombers.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Looks like the Wetenhalls may be back when it comes to being part of an ownership group with the Als'

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/f...ership-picture
So you will have Claridge group+ Wetenhalls+ Lenkov bros maybe? This looks almost as crowded as when the Oilers had a 37 member community ownership group in the late 1990's.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
My support for the Argos extends so far as cheering for them to remain alive so that they can be used as a punching bag by the Bombers.
Having rivals with passionate fanbases is lots of fun.

As a lifelong Habs fan I hated the Nordiques and their fans with a passion. But did I miss that acrimony when the Nordiques moved away. It's never been the same since.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 3:51 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
The CFL is my favorite sport to watch by far and watching my Blue Bombers play has really helped me while I fight cancer this year. .
Ooh that really sucks. Hope the battle is going well.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Ooh that really sucks. Hope the battle is going well.
Thank you I go in for colon cancer surgery tomorrow morning at St. Boniface hospital I am nervous but at the same time it will be a relief to get it out of me so I can resume my life.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Thank you I go in for colon cancer surgery tomorrow morning at St. Boniface hospital I am nervous but at the same time it will be a relief to get it out of me so I can resume my life.
Best of luck.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

Looks like the Alouettes will hire Bombers director of college scouting Ryan Rigmaiden as their new GM. TSN’s Farhan Lalji is reporting that Ryan Rigmaiden has been offered the Montreal Alouettes’ general manager job..

https://3downnation.com/2019/12/11/r...gm-job-report/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:17 PM

All the best, thurmas!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:21 PM

thank you guys!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:38 PM

Eskimos to hire Scott Milanovich as new HC

Nothing is confirmed but it's basically everywhere on Twitter that he will be the next head coach.

By the way, how does one embed a tweet on this site? Or is that not allowed?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Eskimos to hire Scott Milanovich as new HC

Nothing is confirmed but it's basically everywhere on Twitter that he will be the next head coach.

By the way, how does one embed a tweet on this site? Or is that not allowed?
Isn't he still coaching in Jacksonville? How can the Esks do this when he's still gainfully employed? I think he would be a great hire, though.

On the Als thing, after the Wetenhalls basically let the team fall apart only to dump it in the league's lap, I'm not sure which is weirder: that they want back in as owners, or that the league would let them come back in as owners.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 8:07 PM

I think it's most likely that the Wetenhalls will have a stake in ownership purely by being investors in Claridge. I don't think they will be owners with their own individual stakes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada