HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:25 AM

"The most remarkable part is Streveler was an X-factor despite playing on a broken bone in his foot, hurt ribs and a shoulder issue. But you could not tell: Streveler never once winced in pain. The adrenaline of making plays likely numbed the discomfort, as did all the beer he consumed celebrating."
The guy is amazing and his attitude is infectious for team mates. He deserves a great deal of credit for the Bombers winning the cup.
A class person as well.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:27 AM

Bit surprised Lapo didn't choose Edmonton with Harris at QB and very good receiving core compared to Ottawa which is basically a bare cupboard. Won't surprise me if Nichols or Collaros joins Lapo in Ottawa.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The stuff is flying off the shelves, I see it everywhere around town. Which is crazy considering that a simple cap is nearly fifty bucks.
Good to see. Everyone loves a winner!

Next season should be "lit"! (at least that is what the young folks say these days)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Bit surprised Lapo didn't choose Edmonton with Harris at QB and very good receiving core compared to Ottawa which is basically a bare cupboard. Won't surprise me if Nichols or Collaros joins Lapo in Ottawa.
I bet Ottawa gave him more $$$ to go coach there.

Maybe he also relishes the chance to rebuild a team?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 12:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Bonjour LaPolice

I am sure it is lost on him as he is from New Hampshire, but the francophone media and some of my friends on social media had great fun with Paul LaPolice's hiring yesterday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt2zv672YMI

This is a classic Quebec novelty song from the late 1980s. By our most legendary comedy troupe.

(And this is Ottawa. Can you imagine if LaPo had been hired by the Alouettes?)

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:11 PM

^ Haha... what a great jam

LaPolice is a great hire for the RBs. The Bombers never should have fired him as HC in the first place... that was not a popular move when it happened, and it sent the Bombers into a prolonged tailspin. The guy is so good that he deserves another crack at a head coaching job and I think he'll do well as long as Desjardins doesn't ruin things for him.

Last edited by esquire; Dec 10, 2019 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Apparently Paul LaPolice has Franco-American roots from his native New England, but I've never actually encountered this surname in real life.

Canada411 has a grand total of 38 people with that name in all of Canada. Almost all of them in Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:52 PM
Community Guy

Schooners!!!!!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Schooners!!!!!
Huh. Go figure, I thought it had descended to pipe dream status, but they got it done. Good for Ambrosie, Leblanc and Halifax. I will happily eat my words on this one.

Between O'Shea leading the Bombers to the Grey Cup and Ambrosie leading the charge to get a new stadium built in Halifax, I am seriously going to have to rethink what I previously considered to be the limits of the realm of the possible.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:57 PM

Halifax Council Vote for CFL stadium 10 - 7

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 8:58 PM
Community Guy

Yellowknife, St.John's, Victoria, Saskatoon, QC, KW next up!

16 league team!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Halifax Council Vote for CFL stadium 10 - 7

Is it April 1?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:

16 league team!
IF they go anywhere next, Quebec City should be a the top of that list.

That won't be for a few years though.

Kelowna is an interesting choice as that city just keeps on growing and growing.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

16 league team!
One would hope Moncton would be higher on the list than Yellowknife.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

So this is for 20 million. Where is the rest of the money coming from? (I assume this has all been determined already in their plan.)

Also, I gather they need to find a new site that's not that old barracks(?) site on the point in Dartmouth?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Is it April 1?
One thing to keep in mind is that the media and many people in general in the Maritimes tend to be unusually negatively biased toward projects like this. There is always a naysayer contingent that's much stronger than what I normally see in other parts of Canada (though it seems to be in decline), but most of it is noise. You can hear a perpetual negative drumbeat about how a project will never work and will bankrupt the city/province. Then one day the project is just approved and built and it's fine. Sometimes the anti crowd continues to pretend the project is a failure long after it is clearly not a failure.

The Nova Centre was like this. In the media it is bankrupting the city and province and is a flop. In the real world it's well used and people like the area, which is way better than it was before the project. And the finances of both the city and province have been improving every year.

I see the CFL project as being much the same. This doesn't mean it will work out but it's not as risky or far-fetched as some people want to make it out to be. Even if the city spends $40-100M on a stadium and the CFL folds, there's a lot of value to be had from the facility, and that sum is nowhere near make-or-break territory for the municipality (which has a $1B+ budget every year; HRM has spent $40M on a single multi-pad neighbourhood ice rink before). I think the biggest concern is making sure that the stadium is useful for a lot of things and is in a good location.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:47 PM

Some video analysis of today's vote:

https://www.tsn.ca/halifax-regional-...dium-1.1411128

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is that the media and many people in general in the Maritimes tend to be unusually negatively biased toward projects like this. There is always a naysayer contingent that's much stronger than what I normally see in other parts of Canada (though it seems to be in decline), but most of it is noise. You can hear a perpetual negative drumbeat about how a project will never work and will bankrupt the city/province. Then one day the project is just approved and built and it's fine. Sometimes the anti crowd continues to pretend the project is a failure long after it is clearly not a failure.

The Nova Centre was like this. In the media it is bankrupting the city and province and is a flop. In the real world it's well used and people like the area, which is way better than it was before the project. And the finances of both the city and province have been improving every year.

I see the CFL project as being much the same. This doesn't mean it will work out but it's not as risky or far-fetched as some people want to make it out to be. Even if the city spends $40-100M on a stadium and the CFL folds, there's a lot of value to be had from the facility, and that sum is nowhere near make-or-break territory for the municipality (which has a $1B+ budget every year; HRM has spent $40M on a single multi-pad neighbourhood ice rink before). I think the biggest concern is making sure that the stadium is useful for a lot of things and is in a good location.
Those first two paragraphs could have been written about Winnipeg. I suspect it's something that afflicts mid sized cities where there is a need or at least a desire for certain big city amenities like stadiums or whatever else, but getting them built isn't necessarily a slam dunk the way it might be in a larger city like Montreal. And then they take on a life of their own as politicians try to boost their career by catering to the 'no' crowd, and on and on it goes.

I would agree that a somewhat modest pro stadium for a city like Halifax is not an unreasonable expense considering it would probably be the region's main stadium for the next 50 years. There's value in that.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:53 PM

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the biggest concern is making sure that the stadium is useful for a lot of things and is in a good location.
Agree, and that message has really not got out there aside from what I posted earlier.

Jamie Ferguson touches on Sport Nova Scotia and other groups' involvement in the stadium (start at 38 min).

Randy's Road Trip LIVE from Dartmouth, NS
Posted by Atlantic Schooners

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada