Leafs receive
D Tyson Barrie,
C Alex Kerfoot
2020 6th-round draft pick

Colorado received
C Nazem Kadri,
D Calle Rosen
2020 3rd-round pick.

Colorado is retaining 50 per cent of Barrie’s annual average salary of $5.5 million

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Just like Montreal, now three of Torontos best players are from BC.
Yea, if you ignore at least 12 other players.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:13 AM
Go Chiefs!

Sebastien Aho signs an offer sheet with the Habs!

5 years, $42M for an avg of $8.4M per year

Canes have 7 days to match.

Nice attempt by Bergevin to sign a 21 years old forward who is coming off a 83 pts season but I am 99% sure Carolina will match.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Yea, if you ignore at least 12 other players.
Most of those 12 players are not as good.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Most of those 12 players are not as good.
This is a really stupid post. The Leafs top players are JT, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Anderson and Rielly in no specific order. Only Rielly is from BC. I don't even know who else on team is from BC.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 2:43 PM

Actually it was TSN who first made the comment.
For Toronto it includes the two new players you just traded for.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:01 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Rumour as it Mike Smith is headed to Edmonton and the Flames are going to sign Talbot lol.
He did an interview on NHL Network Radio yesterday saying that "the Flames told him they were going in a different direction." Definitely sounded like he wanted to re-sign in Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Actually it was TSN who first made the comment.
For Toronto it includes the two new players you just traded for.
Barrie is from B.C. Who's the other one?

Don't think any of the players the Leafs acquired are better than the 6 I listed. I see these trades as depth acquisitions and salary cap management.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 4:52 PM

Maybe depth players on the mighty Leafs, but they would play a prominent role on the Canucks, especially Barrie, who the Canucks were looking at getting. This is a 59 point defenseman and a decent producing C, plus Colorado retains salary? Don't know all the intricacies of Colorado's salary cap situation, but on the surface it looks like Joe Sakic got fleeced here.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:02 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I don't think Barrie is quite a depth acquisition. He'll play top-4 defense, likely in the top pair in the (historically) highly deficient RD slot. Ceci will likely end up in the pairing.
Top 4 D of Rielly, Muzzin, Barrie and Ceci doesn't look so bad now and has that L-R balance that Babcock seems to crave so much.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:31 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Sebastien Aho signs an offer sheet with the Habs!

5 years, $42M for an avg of $8.4M per year

Canes have 7 days to match.

Nice attempt by Bergevin to sign a 21 years old forward who is coming off a 83 pts season but I am 99% sure Carolina will match.

Word is out now that Carolina will match. As they should.

It was exciting to have an offer sheet. It's a shame the Habs half-assed it and made it pretty easy for the Canes to match.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 5:48 PM

I'm not sure the trade is quite the fleecing for Toronto. Kadri has 3 years left while Barrie has one. The Leafs are unlikely to sign both of Muzzin and Barrie in 2020 as the cap next year is likely to only go up a few million unless the dollar improves.

Many Avs fans say Kerfoot is not a good player and had his points inflated by playing with McKinnon some of the time. He is an RFA so I'm not sure if there is enough room for him and Marner who is likely to receive $10 million or more.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:22 PM

I wouldn't call it a fleece but a trade that makes sense for both teams. Colorado has more cap space than they'll ever be able to use this year. Retaining part of Barrie is probably what landed them the extra pick or even made the trade possible in the first place.

They get the scoring depth they need and they're paying a bit extra for kadris sweetheart contract this year when they can afford to. It was probably time for the leafs to move on from Kadri who came as close as a forward can to single-handedly costing them two playoff series in a row. A solid right-handed dman let's them avoid playing Muzzin on his off-hand like he had to last year.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:34 PM

The cap is having too much of an effect on what moves teams have to make. You get 2 great players on your team and you're scrambling to make room for the rest. You shouldn't have to do that with only 2 or 3 elite players. It's kind of like a communist league now where everybody has to share the wealth way too much. You look at a team like the Oilers - you've got a ton of money invested in McDavid and Draisaitl, and 1 bad signing and they are screwed, and they are not even a good team. I know the cap will go up when the new TV contract comes up, but I just see it as the elite players getting a raise, and we are back to the same issue of being able to get good support players.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
He did an interview on NHL Network Radio yesterday saying that "the Flames told him they were going in a different direction." Definitely sounded like he wanted to re-sign in Calgary.
Direction feels like it’s down with our signing so far. Cam Talbot, sure hope he’s able to get it together again.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The cap is having too much of an effect on what moves teams have to make. You get 2 great players on your team and you're scrambling to make room for the rest. You shouldn't have to do that with only 2 or 3 elite players. It's kind of like a communist league now where everybody has to share the wealth way too much. You look at a team like the Oilers - you've got a ton of money invested in McDavid and Draisaitl, and 1 bad signing and they are screwed, and they are not even a good team. I know the cap will go up when the new TV contract comes up, but I just see it as the elite players getting a raise, and we are back to the same issue of being able to get good support players.
In fairness the Oilers had several bad signings and that is why they are in the situation they are currently in. What is hamstringing teams is the recent phenomena of RFAs receiving huge second contracts that appear to be almost UFA-like. Second contracts use to be far cheaper a few years ago.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:47 PM

Oilers now have 4 former Flames players and 2 former Flames coaches lol. Love how they keep chewing up our scraps lol. That being said, I think I would rather have Smith than Talbot currently, though we shall see how that shakes out.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:26 PM
Near Generational

Talbot was the best option available at a price the Flames wanted to pay.

Lehner and Varlamov both got $5M.

McBackup will never set foot in Calgary again, and who wouldn't want to play for Tampa.

The only other guy who might have been in play was Mrazek and even he got $3.125M for two years.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 8:31 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
Word is out now that Carolina will match. As they should.

It was exciting to have an offer sheet. It's a shame the Habs half-assed it and made it pretty easy for the Canes to match.
Half-assed? That's an awful take. The bonus structure was very creative and was designed to put pressure on an allegedly cash strapped team. Aho was willing to sign the offer sheet at a number that Montreal was willing to pay. At the end of the day nobody in the league would trade a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for Aho.

The Habs signed Carolina's best player for them on a 2nd contract that gets him to UFA as fast as possible.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Oilers now have 4 former Flames players and 2 former Flames coaches lol. Love how they keep chewing up our scraps lol. That being said, I think I would rather have Smith than Talbot currently, though we shall see how that shakes out.
Steve Smith, Gelinas, Glencross, Smid, Talbot are the ones that easily come to mind.

Talbot’s a great person but last season he was unable to make early saves and consistently put his team in a bad position.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada