HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

commercialspaceto
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Brick is better than vinyl; it's just that notoriously run-down brick projects, when they're fixed up, and covered in vinyl, it's an improvement.

For example:

Doesn't this vinyl one objectively look better than any of its neighbours?

I'll argue with you on this one. It looks nicer because it's been updated. If you put the money into new doors, windows, shutters, trim (same as the other house) but cleaned up the brick and did some other improvements, I'd say the brick would look nicer.

They're all still awful though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:18 PM
arf

I would argue that the tree hiding the structure is doing more for the overall beauty than anything else.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

postmedia
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

zolo

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

postmedia
That's even more scandalous when you consider where it's located.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

this London mall lost both its anchors, and is soul-sucking to the absolute highest level:
http://www.westmountshoppingcentre.com/map

ssp

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

I guarantee you that tree would bother my mother as much as the pole does and she'd want both gone.
I've already shared my theory on here about people who have modest origins a generation or two back often seem hostile to having trees out front because they hide the house that's their symbol of having "made it". You see this in Quebec where widespread prosperity in line with average North American levels only goes back a couple of generations (often just one or two) for most people. My sense is that Newfoundland is fairly similar in this respect.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
^ Wow, some of that looks even worse than GTA suburbia.
All of Canada has ugly suburbs but one thing about Toronto and Montreal is that they have expansive suburban areas with relatively little in the way of natural scenery. There are many parts of the GTA where you can drive around for a while without seeing much more than concrete and asphalt.

Low-end suburbia in Atlantic Canada can be extremely ugly in terms of its construction but it is mixed in with hills, forest, and waterfront areas. Those areas also tend to be built along winding formerly rural roads rather than on grids. That adds a bit of charm.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:27 PM
Fake News

Quote:
this London mall lost both its anchors, and is soul-sucking to the absolute highest level:
http://www.westmountshoppingcentre.com/map

ssp
That clocks and Collectibles store reminds me of Things Engraved. How in the hell does that store stay open? And it's been in my local mall for decades.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:31 PM

Quote:

commercialspaceto
How did you settle on this pic of Dixie and Aimco? Lol. I got Mr. Greek there like 12 years ago. Dixie during the work week is physically and mentally exhausting. Used to work down the road from there 10 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are many parts of the GTA where you can drive around for a while without seeing much more than concrete and asphalt.
Spent the past week driving around parts of Mississauga and Vaughan and can confirm I was near death by the end of it. Needed trees or rivers or something to look at, Lake Ontario was a welcome sight on the 401.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's even more scandalous when you consider where it's located.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:37 PM

I think what takes the soul sucking part to another level regarding the Vaughn and Sauga suburbs is how expensive they are. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the homes posted of that Vaughn suburb were starting at a million plus. That's depressing.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
That clocks and Collectibles store reminds me of Things Engraved. How in the hell does that store stay open? And it's been in my local mall for decades.

Because it is engraved, it isn't easily removed.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

ugly or soul-sucking? Soul-sucking or ugly? Soul-sucking and ugly? Ugly and soul-sucking?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:24 PM

Soul-sucking and/or ugly pick your poison.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.23314...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've already shared my theory on here about people who have modest origins a generation or two back often seem hostile to having trees out front because they hide the house that's their symbol of having "made it". You see this in Quebec where widespread prosperity in line with average North American levels only goes back a couple of generations (often just one or two) for most people. My sense is that Newfoundland is fairly similar in this respect.
In the Victorian-built neighborhood of Sherbrooke's Anglo elite, you have several examples of the exact opposite, like this.

(You can still catch a glimpse of the house through the driveway opening, at the right angle.)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:36 PM

Possibly the only thing more soul-sucking than a subdivision is a brand new subdivision still covered in dirt, and with zero mature trees to hide the bland facades duplicated to infinity.

Not to mention that this is the separation from your neighbour that a million dollars buys you nowadays.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Soul-sucking and/or ugly pick your poison.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.23314...7i13312!8i6656
DOUBLE BARRELED! FUGLY BUILDING AND SHITTY PIZZA.

Reminds me of this most famous combo meal of all time:

Francely54

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada