HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 27, 2017, 11:54 PM

Very nice upgrades

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

New drone picture of the new events centre currently under construction in downtown Moncton. The plaza in front of the building is beginning to take shape. There will be an outdoors refrigerated skating surface on the plaza in the winter, which will do double duty as the audience area for a stage in the summertime. They are also laying curbs for the southward extension of Highfield Street around the arena. The building under wraps across Main Street from the events centre is a federal office building under renovation.

Alos of note on the right is the rare appearance of the VIA Ocean Limited, which currently sojourns east from Montreal only three times weekly.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthumb2 View Post
I was thinking of old pics or stories like the one about Winnipeg Stadium and this one (courtesy Ab Prov archives):

I guess it was pretty nice back in the day but all they did over the years was expand it slightly. They really didn't make any actual improvements to it.
From Wikipedia

With permanent seating totalling 35,650, the stadium is the fifth-largest stadium in Canada. It was expanded in several stages from its original 22,000-seat capacity in 1960 to 38,205 in 1988.

More recent renovations in 2001 and 2005, in which luxury boxes replaced bleacher seating in the higher rows of the grandstands, reduced the stadium capacity to 37,317 in 2001, and to its current 35,650 in 2005. In 2007, Calgary Stampeders president Ted Hellard proposed a further reduction of the stadium's capacity by approximately 4,200 seats to accommodate further luxury boxes, with renovations to be underwritten with personal seat licenses.

For special events such as Grey Cup games, temporary bleachers have been built in the facility's end zones. These seats accounted for a record 46,020 spectators at the 97th Grey Cup, between the Montreal Alouettes and Saskatchewan Roughriders on November 29, 2009.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 11:53 PM

Before

After

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 12:32 AM

Fifty years of McMahon memories
Calgary Herald 15 Aug 2010

1959: Mewata Stadium, home of the Calgary Stampeders since 1931, needs to be replaced but provincial funding is not forthcoming.

1960: Calgary oilman Frank McMahon, of Pacific Petroleums and Westcoast Transmission, and his brother, George, are instrumental in developing plans to build a new stadium.

Work is completed in record time and the stadium bears the brothers’ surname. McMahon has a capacity of 19,536 seats — all of them bench-style.

Aug. 15, 1960: In the first game held at the stadium, Calgary Stampeders president George McMahon boots a football held by his brother Frank at the ceremonial kickoff of the CFL season opener between the Stampeders and the visiting Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

1967: Due to surging attendance at Stampeder games, McMahon is expanded by 2,600 seats for a capacity of 22,136.

July 4, 1970: Rock fans pack the stadium for Festival Express, which includes performances from Janis Joplin, the Grateful Dead and The Band.

1973: The Stamps continue to grow in popularity. Another 3,500 seats are added to create a new capacity of 25,636.

1975: A $1.125-million expansion begins as Calgary prepares to host the Grey Cup.

Nov. 23, 1975: The Grey Cup game comes to Calgary for the first time, as 32,454 eager Calgarians pack McMahon Stadium on a frigid fall day to watch the Edmonton Eskimos edge the Montreal Alouettes 9-8.

1978: As Calgary booms, so do the crowds at McMahon. A major expansion brings the capacity to 33,386.

July 1978: The Eagles touch down in the end zone for the evening as nearly 36,000 people fill the stadium to capacity for the concert.

July 1978: George McMahon, 74, dies in Calgary after a lengthy illness.

Aug. 5, 1979: Chris DeBurgh warms a crowd of 37,000 that packs McMahon Stadium to the rafters, in preparation for the arrival of rock stars Supertramp in a summer concert billed as “The Big One.”

March 18, 1981: City council approves the sale of beer at sports stadiums, including McMahon.

May 1986: Frank McMahon dies at the age of 83 in his Bermuda home.

1987: A total of 4,819 permanent seats are added for the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1988 Winter Olympics. Capacity swells to 38,205 with 11,000 seats being converted to theatrestyle in compliance with International Olympic Committee requirements.

Sept. 7, 1987: the northwest leg of the LRT opens to serve Olympic venues at the U of C and McMahon Stadium.

Feb. 13-28, 1988: The largest-ever McMahon Stadium crowd of 60,000 attends the opening and closing ceremonies of the 1988 Winter Olympics.

June 30, 1990: A capacity crowd of 38,000 is on hand to witness the Queen’s visit to Calgary for a parade.

1993: Skyboxes are added on the west side. Capacity drops to 37,211.

Nov. 28, 1993: More than 50,000 fans pack the stadium to watch the Edmonton Eskimos defeat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 33-23 in the Grey Cup final.

Aug. 28, 1998: Lilith Fair takes over McMahon Stadium.

2000: Skyboxes are added on the east side. Capacity drops to 35,967.

Nov. 27, 2000: The B.C. Lions capture the Grey Cup with a 28-26 win over the Montreal Alouettes before 43,822 fans.

2003: Four sections of bench seats are replaced by theatre-style seating. A sellout crowd now sits at 35,650.

Aug. 22, 2003: The future home of the Stampeders is in doubt, as the club — unhappy with the cost of leasing McMahon Stadium — reveals it has held discussions with investors on building a new stadium, possibly near the airport.

July 26, 2008: Ozzy Osborne’s Monsters of Rock Festival hits McMahon.

Nov. 29, 2009: Temporary bleachers give 46,020 fans the chance to see the Montreal Alouettes beat the Saskatchewan Roughriders in a stunning, last-second 28-27 win in the 97th Grey Cup.

June 27, 2010: Lilith Fair returns to McMahon, attracting 9,000 fans.

February, 20, 2011: The Calgary Flames will take on the Montreal Canadiens at McMahon Stadium in the 2011 Heritage Classic.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 6:48 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/mlse-agrees-to-rec...abank-1.842133

Quote:
Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment has agreed to a landmark 20-year sponsorship agreement with Scotiabank to rename the Air Canada Centre, TSN has learned.
The agreement is worth about $800 million (Canadian), according to three sources familiar with the matter. Under MLSE’s previous agreement with Air Canada, struck in 1999, the airline paid about $4 million per year.

The agreement with Scotiabank, which will see the downtown Toronto arena renamed the Scotiabank Arena next July 1, is believed to be the highest-priced annual building and team sponsorship in North American sports history.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:07 PM

$800 million for 20 years... just incredible. It's astonishing how much the value of naming rights has appreciated.

It's funny how most of the NHL arenas in Canada now have Rogers, Scotiabank and Bell in their names.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's funny how most of the NHL arenas in Canada now have Rogers, Scotiabank and Bell in their names.
Less funny and more mundane and boring, I'd say.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
$800 million for 20 years... just incredible. It's astonishing how much the value of naming rights has appreciated.

That's all of them now

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:21 PM
I am the law!

Seems unreal. There has to be more to it than just sponsorship, no?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
That's all of them now

What an unimaginative bunch we seem to be.

But I guess those names are better than "Sir John A. Macdonald Gardens", eh?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What an unimaginative bunch we seem to be.

But I guess those names are better than "Sir John A. Macdonald Gardens", eh?
I kind of miss the geographic appellations that were once common, although interestingly none of the Canadian NHL rinks of the 80s and 90s were named after people:

Pacific Coliseum
Olympic Saddledome
Northlands Coliseum
Winnipeg Arena
Maple Leaf Gardens
Ottawa Civic Centre
Montreal Forum
Le Colisée

The closest we got to a NHL rink named after someone in modern times was Copps Coliseum...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:42 PM

Thinking about this some more, you have to wonder what the MLSE/Scotia deal does to the argument for public subsidies for NHL arenas... I mean, you could finance a new rink off the naming rights alone. If Toronto can get $800 million for 20 years, then surely Calgary could do at least $300 million for 20 years... boom, there's your new arena. Or at least most of it.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:58 PM

I wonder how the accountants will split that revenue between the Raps and Leafs. $20 million per annum to the Leafs and $20 million to the Raps? 50-50 split? Maybe throw a few thousand to the Lacrosse team?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 7:59 PM

Quote:

I wonder if the new CIBC towers across the street were part of the reason for it? Anytime they show a game and show the obligatory helicopter shot's and the CIBC towers and logos will be in full view. At least now so will Scotia. Does this sort of marketing work though? I haven't flown Air Canada in over 20 years. I suppose for that cost it must.

(QWST comment)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I wonder if the new CIBC towers across the street were part of the reason for it? Anytime they show a game and show the obligatory helicopter shot's and the CIBC towers and logos will be in full view. At least now so will Scotia. Does this sort of marketing work though? I haven't flown Air Canada in over 20 years. I suppose for that cost it must.

(QWST comment)
Good point. I can certainly see there being some value in naming rights... I mean, I had never heard of companies like Pengrowth and Skyreach before they had NHL rinks named after them.

But is having the sports barn in Toronto named after Scotiabank really going to bring a billion dollars of business to them over the next two decades? Obviously someone thinks it will.

Hands up any Leafs/Raps/Rock fans who are moving their mortgage or chequing accounts to Scotia on account of this news...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 8:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
But is having the sports barn in Toronto named after Scotiabank really going to bring a billion dollars of business to them over the next two decades? Obviously someone thinks it will.

Hands up any Leafs/Raps/Rock fans who are moving their mortgage or chequing accounts to Scotia on account of this news...
I'm guessing it gets them exclusivity. Exclusive rights to all events at the building, prime sponsorship at all events, exclusive ticketing and boxes to all events. Having the only ATMs in the building for all sporting events/concerts must be worth something. Machines the concession stands use, etc.

I'm guessing it shuts out every other bank from being physically seen in the arena for 20 years. Big money value.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 9:09 PM

It is a lot of cash but that's 20 years of bonus free marketing by sports and news channels, the city and transit authorities need to change signage around the core so i bet it works out in their favour.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 9:11 PM
BANNED

credit GunsNRoses twitter acct

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 9:24 PM

To commemorate their 100th show last week Coldplay played an ode to Toronto and Canada. They also used the CN Tower as part of their light show.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada