HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 2:50 PM
gettin' rich!

Thank god, the TTC didn't get rid of the streetcars. The NEW Machines are almost as comfortable as subways, just slower. We got lucky here!!!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 2:41 PM
More transit please

Encouraging news from Montreal (finally)

Two days ago at the National Assembly, we learned from Municipal Affairs minister Pierre Moreau that the Blue line extension project office will release it's final report in December 2015, and that part of funding might come from the Caisse. At that time, we will learn what mode will be used (Metro, tram-train, elevated light rail).

Here's a reminder of what the extension towards Anjou looks like:

http://i2.wp.com/lenavet.ca/wp-conte...ize=1110%2C453

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:05 PM

Why would they switch technologies? Is it not just a 5 station extension of the existing line, and therefore should have the exact same technology?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:10 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Why would they switch technologies? Is it not just a 5 station extension of the existing line, and therefore should have the exact same technology?
They wouldn't switch. The government wants the most effective and less expensive system available. If that means a tram line going East and connecting at Saint-Michel station to serve more people at a lesser price they might consider it. The idea of imposing a transfer is pretty stupid though.

The extension was announced by the PQ in 2012 and is now being delayed with the Liberals. Although I think something will be completed before the end of 2020.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
+1

That seems a bit half-assed and a good way to discourage ridership. Why not reduce the extension by one stop and use the savings to make it a Metro extension instead of one of the other modes?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:23 PM

Toronto did exactly the same thing on the Sheppard route... the subway only goes to Don Mills thanks to the austerity cuts of the 1990s, and the extension is going to be an LRT. Then again, in Toronto it makes more sense considering ridership numbers and the fact that the Sheppard subway was a mistake in the first place (by contrast, the Blue line is a solid metro route).

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:24 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
+1

That seems a bit half-assed and a good way to discourage ridership. Why not reduce the extension by one stop and use the savings to make it a Metro extension instead of one of the other modes?
I'm asking myself the same question... The AMT was already conducting studies, so I think the MTQ only asked them to study the impact of others modes. I believe it'll be done underground though.

And yes, the government is trying to fix it's finances. Hence the Caisse having to invest in future transit projects. The reconstruction of the Turcot Interchange will cost 5 billion itself, so the MTQ doesn't have as much money as Ontario to invest in public transit.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:24 PM

The model Quebec has chosen for its transit management--having the Caisse fund it--is probably incompatible with the P3 model the federal government is demanding as a condition for access to the new transit fund. Setting the stage for another Federal-Quebec showdown?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:26 PM

Is the Pie-IX corridor still supposed to be BRT (or SRB, as it's called in Quebec)? I thought I heard they were thinking about switching to LRT.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 3:32 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Is the Pie-IX corridor still supposed to be BRT (or SRB, as it's called in Quebec)? I thought I heard they were thinking about switching to LRT.
It's supposed to be BRT but it should be switched to LRT, IMO. The ridership potential on that line is huge. They should also at least do a one station extension of the Blue line so the BRT/LRT can connect effectively with the Metro system.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:16 PM
Still optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
+1

There's another element at play here - the Orange line is already past capacity, so we can't add more passengers at Jean Talon. What they should do instead is build the metro out to Pie IX and build LRT from Downtown to Laval via René Lévesque and Pie IX with a spur turning off at Jean Talon to Anjou. You avoid a costly metro extension under bungalows and duplexes, you provide direct service for more people and you avoid burdening the Orange Line any more than It already is. Probably cost less too.

EDIT:

Something similar to this:

Or this, plus an extension all the way downtown

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 5:41 PM
More transit please

^great alternatives. I saw the tram one (2nd proposal) a few months ago and thought it was a good idea. Unfortunately this isn't an official proposal made by the STM or the AMT...

What we do know is, massive transit investments are coming to Montreal in the next five years. We know at least 50km of LRT (two new lines) will be built, plus the BRT on Pie-IX and a possible Blue line extension.

Last edited by SkahHigh; Apr 27, 2015 at 9:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:41 PM

Here is a great update of the Evergreen Line east of the tunneled section.

I really like the use of wood, adds a nice West Coast character to the stations. I also really like the variety in super structures.

For me such grade separated projects feel so much more urban / metropolis as far as rail projects go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
Took a walk last Sunday along the eastern portion of Evergreen Line:

Lafrage Lake-Douglas Station

Guideway between Lafrage and Lincoln

Coquitlam Central Station

Guideway along Aberdeen Ave. This section was still under construction when I was here 2 months ago, but its now completed.

East end of VSF. This was only a pile of dirt two months ago.

Inlet Centre Station with glasses and escalators installed.

Moody Centre Station

West of Moody Centre, column for future Moray-Clarke connector?

I don't think you can get this close to the track elsewhere in the system?

Not sure if this is the site for future station in west Port Moody.

Elevated guideway east of north tunnel portal.

North portal plus the new route for Trans-Canada Trail beside the guideway.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 12:59 PM
Closed account

Does anyone know what the expected life span is for the elevated structures on the Skytrain?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 1:07 PM

100 years, but I am sure when the time comes they can be maintained for longer, like every other bridge structure in the world.

The West Coast climate is also much more forgivable in general for such structures than pretty much anywhere else in Canada.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:41 PM

Quote:
100 years, but I am sure when the time comes they can be maintained for longer, like every other bridge structure in the world.

The West Coast climate is also much more forgivable in general for such structures than pretty much anywhere else in Canada.
They've actually used this in Ottawa as a way to explain to the public why the city went underground instead of elevated--Ottawa's climate would drive maintenance costs through the roof on elevated structures.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Does anyone know what the expected life span is for the elevated structures on the Skytrain?
I recall someone telling me once that all SkyTrain structures are built to something like a 70/100 rule: 70 year design life, 100+ year structural life. As the system approaches the end of its design life they will need to do substantial upgrades but the thing itself still has several decades of structural life left in it.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
They've actually used this in Ottawa as a way to explain to the public why the city went underground instead of elevated--Ottawa's climate would drive maintenance costs through the roof on elevated structures.
But not too much underground.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
But not too much underground.
Ottawa is mostly right on the ground level with separation at intersections. But where that's not possible, it's going underground instead of being elevated.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 12:21 AM

O-Train Confederation Line stations (roughly):

Elevated: 2
Ground/Underpass: 11
Trench: 8
Underground: 6

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada