HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 6:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 18, 2013, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
bahahahahahha I have never thought of the garbage boxes as unique hahahahaha very functional and who would want an ugly one anyway? (can be expensive too, if you want a nice one it could run you $200)

Old Posted Jun 19, 2013, 1:20 PM

Montreal's Top 5 Summer Events

http://travel.ca.msn.com/rd-photovie...ntid=258049783

L'International des Feux Loto-Québec

Every Wednesday and Sunday night from June 22 to August 3, Montreal's skies will come alive with the bright bursts of colour and light of the International Fireworks Competition. Each year, countries from around the world compete throughout the summer in this illustrious pyromusical festival, founded in 1985. This year, competing countries will wow onlookers with firework shows created around a particular theme, from 'Magic of the Movies' to 'Swan Lake', 'Languages of Love' to a 'Tribute to U2'. You can watch the fireworks from many locales around the city, including the Jacques Cartier Bridge, which is closed to cars for the occasion.

Montreal International Jazz Festival

Every year, Montrealers swoon to the sound of international artists in town for its most musical of festivals. In its 34th edition, this year's Jazz Fest is bringing in some megawatt headliners including Serena Ryder, Belle & Sebastian, Martha Wainwright, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, and Chucho Valdés, to name a few. Canadian phenom Feist will open the festivities on June 28 at 9:30pm with a free outdoor concert that's not to be missed.

Just For Laughs

Founded in 1983, the Just For Laughs festival is the largest comedy festival the world over. So if you like to laugh, then this is definitely the place to be this summer. For an entire month, street performers, improv acts and visual, verbal and non-verbal shows take over the city's clubs, cafés, theaters and streets, especially around the Latin Quarter, to the delight of Montrealers and tourists alike.

Grand Prix Montreal

Grand Prix fever is a palpable feeling in Montreal. It takes hold of the city's collective spirits for a whole week of high-energy activities all around town, culminating in the big F1 race around the Gilles Villeneuve track on Île-Notre-Dame. More tourists visit Montreal during Grand Prix weekend than at any other time during the year, so get ready to party like never before!

Osheaga Music and Arts Festival

Since its first edition in 2006, Osheaga has grown to become the largest festival of its kind in Canada, boasting about 100 musical acts as well as an impressive visual arts segment. This year's fest is no different, with some impressive names like Beck, The Cure, New Order, Frank Ocean and more gracing its multiple Parc Jean Drapeau stages.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 3:06 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The Globe and Mail has a wonderful article about the Fogo Island Inn.

Think you’ve seen Newfoundland? You’ve never seen anything like this .

Quote:
We peer out the two-storey windows, water stretching to Greenland and Ireland, and scan for icebergs. We feel excitingly on the edge of things. Here, remoteness breeds resourcefulness and creative energy. And warmth.

On an island that’s home to two international artists-residency programs, the inn doubles as a cultural centre and houses a gallery and screening room. The afternoon finds us in the Red Shed, a fishing shed transformed into a rustic studio on the edge of Shoal Bay. Artist Vida Simon leads us in a series of exercises sketching beachcombed finds.

Our days feel like a microcosm of contemporary Fogo Island: a mixture of old and new, where a spirit of reinvention is quick in the air. People with long ties to the place rub shoulders with recent arrivals who’ve been called here, because Fogo Island has a way of summoning people. And, as everyone we meet tells us, once you visit, you’ll yearn to return.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...ticle13327253/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 11:01 PM

The Airstream convoy is in town and looking a bit bigger than the last couple of years. I guess gas prices took a toll on them, but they're back and I went down to snap a few photos.

They always set up on the tarmac of an old air terminal that is no longer standing. In the background you can see more trailers and motorhomes on an old runway.

100_2660edit

100_2675edit

Seen this flagpole in my first photo and had to see what it was. Apparently we have some Green Bay Packers fans and University of Kentucky alumni.

100_2683

And a little evidence of our town's appreciation of the United States, these flags hanging above the entrance to the Arts and Culture Centre during this summer's Stephenville Theatre Festival season.

IMG-20130714-00151

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 4:27 PM

Here's a youtube video showing the west coast of the island. Outside of Gros Morne park this area is pretty much ignored in our tourism commercials, which is a crying shame because it has some of the most beautiful and surreal landscapes in the country. The video just scratches the surface between Port-aux-Basques and Norris Point.

Enjoy,
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Completely agree. The east coast of the island is very boring compared to the west. If we'd had closer ties to North American sooner, perhaps our capital would have been on the west coast, facing the gulf. That'd have been spectacular.

But, like Dublin, we face Britain.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:30 PM
is watching.

BC seems to be focusing on promoting tourism from China, especially over the past few years, and it seems to be paying off as travellers from there are surging and BC is their #1 Canadian destination. There are now 75 non-stop flights weekly from 6 Chinese hubs to Vancouver International - that's over 10 a day ... and they are big jets. Vancouver now has more flights to China than any other North American airport - so the numbers will continue to rise as more daily flights are anticipated.

Chinese are now the biggest-spending travel market in the world, with their travellers spending over $100 billion annually, and we currently have only a small fraction of that so lots of room for growth. See this article from The Financial Post - April 18, 2013:

Chinese travellers flocking to Canada in record numbers

Chinese tourists enjoying Butchart Gardens in Victoria (from financial post article)

Now the US numbers to BC seem to be increasing again as their economy slowly improves. Here is a slick tourism video spot featuring the fresh seafood to be had in BC:

Video Link

Last edited by craneSpotter; Jul 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:35 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Completely agree. The east coast of the island is very boring compared to the west. If we'd had closer ties to North American sooner, perhaps our capital would have been on the west coast, facing the gulf. That'd have been spectacular.

But, like Dublin, we face Britain.
Newfoundland is the only province I haven't been to. I really, really want to visit and hear nothing but good things and that St. John's is all kinds of fun Maybe next year I'll get a chance. My favourite Canadian provinces to visit would be Ontario/Quebec/Nova Scotia (really liked PEI too!) so maybe I'll have to add another

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

If you do, let us know. We'll arrange a forum meet in your honour.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Some great footage from tourists whale watching. They even get to touch its tail.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 10:30 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Sssooo jealous...

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 5:36 PM

One thing I think Canada and its businesses should do for tourism: maybe have special deals with partners that bring back 2000-level exchange rates (i.e. 1 US dollar = $1.50 Canadian; NOT reversible) just for American tourists when they go shopping or visit sights to bring them back to Canada without impacting other businesses or the "legal" exchange rate...even as short-term promotions.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:24 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Aww... so sweet.

I've no idea if this couple is American, but there seem to be a lot more Americans spending their honeymoons here these days. It started after 9/11 - all the Americans stranded here started setting up scholarship funds for local students, coming back for reunions with the families who took them in, etc. And shortly after that, there started to be a more visible presence of American honeymooners.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 1:10 PM

I would think Montreal pride is a big tourist draw. That's one of the reasons I am coming this weekend. I know many people from Ontario that are either taking a bus or VIA rail to celebrate pride.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:22 AM
not a NIMBY

Bowen Island British Columbia

Snug Cove marina and chandlery, Bowen Island by LUMIN8, on Flickr

as seen at "Dog Days on Bowen"

"we're all here cause we're not all there" by LUMIN8, on Flickr

a visitor from Seattle with a crew of 8

looking out the living room window by LUMIN8, on Flickr

The cottage I rent is a 7 minute walk to Snug Cove.

light painting at dusk by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 1:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
bahahahahahha I have never thought of the garbage boxes as unique hahahahaha very functional and who would want an ugly one anyway? (can be expensive too, if you want a nice one it could run you $200)
When I took Denscity for a drive out around the bay (we went as far as Holyrood), he actually asked what they were. So I guess they do stand out to people not from here.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:25 PM
ARTchitecture

haha what an odd thing to be unique

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Bowen Island British Columbia

Snug Cove marina and chandlery, Bowen Island by LUMIN8, on Flickr

as seen at "Dog Days on Bowen"

"we're all here cause we're not all there" by LUMIN8, on Flickr

a visitor from Seattle with a crew of 8

looking out the living room window by LUMIN8, on Flickr

The cottage I rent is a 7 minute walk to Snug Cove.

light painting at dusk by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Love these pics,brings me back to the short(1 week) I actually spent on Vancouver Island...(didn't see Bowen Island)..wish I had.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:58 PM
ARTchitecture

Never made it out to Bowen Island when I lived in Metro Van, I wish I had!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada