HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
That sounds like a pretty terrible approach in Vancouver. Disappointing to hear.
Keep in mind ssiguy has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Demovictions have largely been eradicated in Burnaby. New rules have been put in place and all rental housing must be replaced at a minimum 1:1 ratio.

Just look at the proposals that adhere to the new rules.

Quote:
A 35-storey condo building atop a six-storey rental apartment podium with 42 “affordable” rental apartments would replace a 42-unit, four-storey rental apartment building at 4960 Bennett St. (between Marlborough and Nelson avenues). According to BC Assessment, the property sold for $15 million in 2016 and was valued at $36 million as of July 2018.

A 37-storey tower with 332 condos and a six-storey rental apartment building would replace a three-storey low-rise apartment building at 6525 Telford Ave. All but one of the existing 54 apartments are already vacant, according to the city. The rental building includes the required 54 replacement apartments, plus 12 market rental units. The property was assessed at $51 million as of July 2018.

A 43-storey tower with 409 condos, 15 townhouses and a six-storey, 92-unit non-market rental building would replace a rental apartment building at 6444 Willingdon Ave. According to BC Assessment, the property is currently home to a four-storey, 72-unit apartment building and is valued at $51 million.

A 34-storey tower with both strata and rental apartments and a four-storey “affordable” rental building would replace a detached home and three apartment buildings with a total of 36 rental units on three adjacent Marlborough Avenue lots. The developer wants to build 218 condos and 47 market rental units in the mixed-tenure building and 41 non-market homes in the other.
https://www.burnabynow.com/news/burn...ley-1.24011831

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Keep in mind ssiguy has a massive chip on his shoulder.

Demovictions have largely been eradicated in Burnaby. New rules have been put in place and all rental housing must be replaced at a minimum 1:1 ratio.

Just look at the proposals that adhere to the new rules.

https://www.burnabynow.com/news/burn...ley-1.24011831
And yet all this sort of policy will achieve is further limiting supply and increasing prices for everyone for the temporary benefit of a tiny few renters. This policy now means that on top of all the cost of building a condo building, they have to subsidise a large number of shite below market rent units, meaning the remaining units have to be high end to pay for it. Increasing the density of a lot became less financially attractive and thus less likely to happen.

If you like affordable housing, you should hate this sort of policy and any other form of rent control.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:27 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
And yet all this sort of policy will achieve is further limiting supply and increasing prices for everyone for the temporary benefit of a tiny few renters. This policy now means that on top of all the cost of building a condo building, they have to subsidise a large number of shite below market rent units, meaning the remaining units have to be high end to pay for it. Increasing the density of a lot became less financially attractive and thus less likely to happen.

If you like affordable housing, you should hate this sort of policy and any other form of rent control.
I think it's a bit more complicated than this.

One complaint in Burnaby was that there was a lot of development of speculative or investment-class condo units when the market was hot. This tends to produce housing crunches and instability, even if the development does eventually increase supply years later when construction is completed. It makes sense that policies might aim for housing stability for renters, even if as you say it's important to increase the overall supply. Furthermore Burnaby alone is not in a position to fix the supply problem for all of metro Vancouver, and is one of the better cities for allowing development (while Vancouver proper is the most dysfunctional development-wise).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think it's a bit more complicated than this.

One complaint in Burnaby was that there was a lot of development of speculative or investment-class condo units when the market was hot. This tends to produce housing crunches and instability, even if the development does eventually increase supply years later when construction is completed. It makes sense that policies might aim for housing stability for renters, even if as you say it's important to increase the overall supply. Furthermore Burnaby alone is not in a position to fix the supply problem for all of metro Vancouver, and is one of the better cities for allowing development (while Vancouver proper is awful).
I think the minor decrease in market efficiency of allowing for some renter protection would be worth it, ie maybe something like 6 months - 1 year notice before eviction in case of building replacement. But forcing condo makers to modify their buildings permanently and trapping people in these units is a sure indicator that the market has already failed. However even though it has failed, rent control still is not the answer and demonising those supplying the solution also will not help.

If anyone is interested, this was a really good podcast on the subject:

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/rent-control/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
Impressive. Did Ottawa upzone an entire neighbourhood around an O train station or all of these proposals individual rezonings?
Ottawa has been creating new Community Design Plans (CDPs) for areas around O-Train stations. They've completed the CDPs for Carling and Gladstone along the Trillium Line and Bayview at Trillium and Confederation. Those are the three northern-most Trillium stations, in the urban area.

The City has also completed rough CDPs for eastern stations from Lees to Blairm along with Tunney's, the current western terminus of Confederation. They are currently working on a Cleary and New Orchard area CDP (new urban stations along a major service gap of the former Transitway).

For this particular area, the western half of Scott Street, along the transit trench, the last CDP was completed in the mid-2000s before they had any plans to convert the Transitway.

Long story short, the City seems to be rezoning one-by-one as proposals come in based on recent CDPs, and "logic" in the case of areas like the western edge of Scott Street, where the CDP is outdated.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 2:41 PM

Feel like the CDPs are of very limited value as the suburban boundary gets pushed further and further out.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:28 PM

Some serious TOD coming near Carling and Gladstone stations. Here's a recent shot taken from Icon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
This is almost an identical photo to what I previously posted with one significant difference. Who can spot it?

HINT: There were a ton of workers on the roof that morning and none of them needed to be there (myself included).

20190813_102604
In the big parking lot in the foreground, this proposal was approved today. 550 units, a sorely needed grocery store and lots more retail amenities.

https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...26525862494208

Across the street, where the industrial buildings can be seen (former Natural Ressources Canada Labs, Canada Lands Corporation is working on a new development scheme that perserves many of the historic structures.

The grassy area on the upper left will become a mixed income community, including a francophone public school. No concept images to share yet.

Across the tracks from the grassy area, out of frame, we have this proposal.

https://obj.ca/article/trinity-drops...se-development

Gladstone station will be between the two.

The City of Ottawa is also redeveloping some of the affordable housing town-homes in the area (at the right of the white adult high school in the centre) into an affordable housing mid-rise:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
haven't seen this render before...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:31 PM

And another major TOD approved today near Cyrville station, currently the leased used O-Train station in a relatively low-density area. Residential dwellings, 850 of them, in 25, 27 and 36 floor towers, along with an eight storey hotel, 150-room hotel.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 8:13 PM

I'm not quite sure if these qualify as TOD since they are just west of downtown, though the proposed densities are far grater than they were before the conception of the Confederation Line.

Here's the LeBreton Flats area, from east to west.

New central library

https://twitter.com/JimWatsonOttawa/...52298544275456

Eastern Flats, 1,600 units

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
NCC LeBreton Flats redevelopment: 4,000 residential units and a possible NHL arena

For more on the LeBreton Master Concept Plan:

https://ncc-ccn.gc.ca/projects/lebre...r-concept-plan

Trinity Centre [900 Albert St] | 234/211/109m | 65/56/23fl | 1,300 units

Every proposal posted above will be developed within the vast empty field.

http://www.trinity-group.com/property/albert-preston/

In total, LeBreton Flats proposals include 6,900 residential units and millions of square feet of commercial space served by Pimisi Station (Confederation Line) and Bayview Station (Confederation and Trillium Lines).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:26 PM

The combination of Lebreton Flats and Zibi should be a serious power move for Ottawa and Gatineau. A neighbourhood connecting two downtowns that's built around canals and a damn waterfall will be something unique in North America, if not the world. Get the Gatineau tram in the mix too and Ottawa is suddenly a big city.

That being said, I have my doubts that it will work out perfectly. I'm worried the one-two punch of the parkway and that windswept looking park will kill any momentum between Lebreton Flats and Zibi. Is there any plan to develop the field north of the Holocaust memorial? Has anyone thought that since the parkway only goes where the Confederation Line will go, that it doesn't need to be 7 lanes through Lebreton Flats? Finally, why is Booth street 5 lanes through Lebreton Flats when it's only two lanes on either end?

Choking off the parkway before Lebreton Flats is particularly appealing for the downstream benefits. Between the Gatineau tram coming over the Portage bridge and hopefully running down Wellington, and the Confederation Line bringing people in from the west, you'll have a lot of surplus road capacity at the Portage/Wellington/Parkway intersection that you can clean up, making that area a lot more pleasant.

Lebreton Flats seems like it'll be Ottawa's Yaletown. I just don't want it to end up with its own cruddy version of cruddy Pacific Blvd.

Anyway, cool project. I hope Ottawan's are generally excited about it too. I know Zibi is somewhat controversial, but I'd like to hear more from the SSP forumer's perspective.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
That being said, I have my doubts that it will work out perfectly. I'm worried the one-two punch of the parkway and that windswept looking park will kill any momentum between Lebreton Flats and Zibi. Is there any plan to develop the field north of the Holocaust memorial? Has anyone thought that since the parkway only goes where the Confederation Line will go, that it doesn't need to be 7 lanes through Lebreton Flats? Finally, why is Booth street 5 lanes through Lebreton Flats when it's only two lanes on either end?

Choking off the parkway before Lebreton Flats is particularly appealing for the downstream benefits. Between the Gatineau tram coming over the Portage bridge and hopefully running down Wellington, and the Confederation Line bringing people in from the west, you'll have a lot of surplus road capacity at the Portage/Wellington/Parkway intersection that you can clean up, making that area a lot more pleasant.

Lebreton Flats seems like it'll be Ottawa's Yaletown. I just don't want it to end up with its own cruddy version of cruddy Pacific Blvd.

Anyway, cool project. I hope Ottawan's are generally excited about it too. I know Zibi is somewhat controversial, but I'd like to hear more from the SSP forumer's perspective.
I completely agree with you. we should strive for an active street-front up Booth, all the way to Zibi. The War Museum offers none of that. AFAIK, the plan north of the Holocaust monument is another monument, which is quite disappointing. I understand the need to preserve views of Parliament, but that land could be lined with 3-4 storey buildings that would not effect those views.

Booth and the Parkway could stand to go on a road diet, even if it means narrowing existing lanes. Same with Wellington and Portage once the STO Tram is built.

The area has massive potential, but it could also end up a massive disappointment. With all the false starts over the years, we're cautiously optimistic.

As for Zibi, SSP forumers have mostly been very enthusiastic about it. The restoration of historic industrial buildings, true waterfront development, access to the falls, this is something Ottawa has needed for a long time.

There is a lot of controversy from the perspective of certain Indigenous groups, as many of them believe the site should return to nature and the falls should be released, but that's not necessarily realistic, mainly because this is mostly private land, as it has been for two centuries, not to mention the green power generation produced by the falls.

The developers have done a great deal of work to include Indigenous communities, consulting with them, providing work for Indigenous peoples and companies, including the Algonquin language in signage (along with French and English). From what I have observed, most Indigenous groups in the region approve of the development, with a minority continuing to oppose.

The development also aims to be a One Planet community, which aims for the highest standards in sustainability.

I hope to one day see the Federal Government build a museum dedicated to the Indigenous peoples on Victoria Island (NCC owned, part of the same cluster of islands as Zibi), LeBreton or even at Zibi itself. More needs to be done to honour the First Nations, past, present and future.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
And another major TOD approved today near Cyrville station, currently the leased used O-Train station in a relatively low-density area. Residential dwellings, 850 of them, in 25, 27 and 36 floor towers, along with an eight storey hotel, 150-room hotel.

Is this where Claude's chip wagon currently is?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2020, 7:44 PM

The vision for LeBreton might come to fruition, but it will take a very long time. There is still lots of land left to build detached homes in Ottawa, and for the most part that’s what people want, especially when that home is still close to the city centre. East Village in Calgary is walking distance to a abnormally large office district, and it is taking decades to develop. Unless that’s deemed acceptable, but I think LeBreton should be built with ground oriented and low rise wood frame apartments in mind. Row homes are more affordable than high rise condo units, and they provide enough density to energize and animate the main streets. Neighbourhoods like Commercial Drive and Riley Park (south Main) have around 20 000/sq mile. Row-house with apartments on the Main Streets would provide the same density.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Is this where Claude's chip wagon currently is?
Yup.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
The vision for LeBreton might come to fruition, but it will take a very long time. There is still lots of land left to build detached homes in Ottawa, and for the most part that’s what people want, especially when that home is still close to the city centre. East Village in Calgary is walking distance to a abnormally large office district, and it is taking decades to develop. Unless that’s deemed acceptable, but I think LeBreton should be built with ground oriented and low rise wood frame apartments in mind. Row homes are more affordable than high rise condo units, and they provide enough density to energize and animate the main streets. Neighbourhoods like Commercial Drive and Riley Park (south Main) have around 20 000/sq mile. Row-house with apartments on the Main Streets would provide the same density.
I'd generally agree--the missing middle and all that--but Lebreton Flats is pretty small. The kind of density that can support Commercial Drive, which is already a pretty sporadic high street, needs blocks in all directions. Lebreton Flats is compact, immediately adjacent to downtown, on the new metro line, and therefore should go big. That being said, filling in something like Tunney's Pasture with low-midrise development is exactly what should happen, and could turn it into a pretty interesting area. Thinking more about Lebreton Flats and how it doesn't address Booth really drives home that it is, in fact, TOD.

I wouldn't worry too much about the development timeline for Lebreton Flats, though. Ottawa is thinking big with their transit expansion; they obviously want to milk this system for the next 30 years, and development should reflect that. By then we'll be looking at a city legitimately jumping from mid-sized to big. What they do should reflect that.

Finally, and not to be argumentative, but I wouldn't draw too many sweeping conclusions about where people want to live based on the living habits of boomers in mid-sized Canadian cities. Ottawa already appears to have more multi-family housing starts than single-family. And when a majority of Canadians (Ottawa cleaves to the average) will never be able to buy a house, don't expect that to change. Even if we could, to quote David Byrne, "I wouldn't live there if you paid me."

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. Good points, too, J.OT13; I agree with everything you've said. Canada really can't do too much to make things right with its indigenous people, but expecting anyone to rip out a functioning hydro dam and restoring the falls to nature seems like a reach without a lot of upside, compared to what Zibi can bring to the table. I too would love to see Victoria Island become a great place for Canada's indigenous people--maybe even a capital within a capital.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 6:09 PM

a new proposal for Port Moody on the Evergeen extension of the Millenium line.

Massive redevelopment with 4,000 homes proposed for SkyTrain's Moody Centre Station
Kenneth Chan | Jul 29 2020

as is current:

proposed future:

Quote:
There could be as many as 4,135 new homes, including 2,500 to 3,300 condominiums, 300 to 385 market rental homes, and 400 to 450 affordable homes.

These homes will be largely contained within over a dozen towers reaching up to 36 storeys in height, with the tallest towers located next to the station and tapering downwards for parcels farthest away from the transit hub. Tower spacing will allow for solar access and protect views of the inlet and mountains. Building heights in this area are currently restricted to up to 12 storeys.

Podium levels at the base of these towers will see uses that include retail, restaurants, office, tech, light industrial, and post-secondary institutions, creating about 600 retail and restaurant jobs and 1,400 jobs for the other uses. The employment generated will increase Port Moody’s total job supply by 27%.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mood...7CXkI1pO1kbdYk

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 8:14 PM

Port Moody is a nice suburb surrounded by mountains, hills, and water. For transit you will have Skytrain with a direct route to Central Broadway in 31 minutes, and easy access to popular neighbourhoods like Mt Pleasant, Commercial Drive, and Kits, when the Broadway subway is complete in 2025. There’s also a West Coast Express station, where you can get to downtown Vancouver in 25 minutes. Development will happen at a rapid pace. Coquitlam Centre also has Skytrain and West Coast Express, so there will be rapid growth there too.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 7:50 PM

Port Moody proposal looks great. A true, complete urban community. Often times, TOD ends up being towers in a park, towers in a parking lot; very isolated communities that still require cars for basic things like grocery shopping. That's what worries me about some of Ottawa's TOD proposals along suburban stretches of the O-Train lines.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 8:05 PM

This Port Moody development looks good and well thought out. This looks like a truly pedestrian friendly development as opposed to just a standard transit oriented one.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This looks like a truly pedestrian friendly development as opposed to just a standard transit oriented one.
Yep. Like everything else Canada seems to always be a decade behind. So more TOD but not enough of a focus on walking and biking. One would think one bike parking spot per unit would be mandatory in most condos by this point, especially for buildings not right in the urban core.

The focus on TOD and not enough on walkability and mixed use is still maddening. It's great that you can live near a station. But still sucks if you don't have a grocery store, gym, medical care, schools, etc. within walking distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada