HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:17 PM

Poppy Plaza

Just noticed this up on the U of C home page:

Public space design wins awards
http://www.ucalgary.ca/news/utoday/j...-2010/memorial
January 25th, 2010

Quote:
These artistic renderings were part of the design submission by marc boutin architectural collaboration inc.

The design of one of Calgary’s newest public spaces, led by a Faculty of Environmental Design professor and several alumni, has won two prestigious awards: the Canadian Architect Award of Merit and the City of Calgary’s Mayor’s Urban Design Award.

The Poppy Plaza is the first of many public spaces to be created as part of the second phase of Memorial Drive: Landscape of Memory, a City of Calgary effort led by the marc boutin architectural collaborative inc (MBAC) and Stantec Consulting. MBAC is the firm of Marc Boutin, a Faculty of Environmental Design professor, and includes several EVDS alumni including Mike DeBoer, Jerry Hacker, Sean Knight, Tony Leong, Mauricio Rosa, Kristin St. Arnault and Nick Standeven.

“The project’s goal is to revamp Memorial Drive and develop a space that commemorates Canada’s role during wartime, while offering a much needed contribution to the city’s fledgling public realm,” says Boutin.

The existing site is characterized as a residual green space, adjacent to the intersection of Memorial Drive and 10th Street. North of the site is the Kensington neighbourhood and south of the site is the Bow River. While the site’s grade slopes steeply southward to the river, it lacks an appropriate connection to the water.

Another project thats part of the upgrades being done along Memorial Drive. Personally I think it looks good and will change the current feeling of the pathway along there which is very utilitarian right now.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 11:21 PM

I like! Looks like it'll be a great accent piece to the Kensington neighborhood and the River system. I really like the shapes in the pavement and the little seats (are they seats?). Real nice Calgary!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 1:41 AM

its small improvements like this that go a very long way in improving a cities urban fabric. I am looking forward to seeing this done, along with the upgrades along the elbow river in mission.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:19 AM
Fake News

So this is what that park will look like. Very nice! Memorial is ramping up to be the nicest drive in the city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:27 AM
Round Head

I really like what I see! Marc Boutin's site has some more small images of this project too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:28 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
its small improvements like this that go a very long way in improving a cities urban fabric. I am looking forward to seeing this done, along with the upgrades along the elbow river in mission.
I couldn't agree more. We're doing a good job of upgrading our pathways and some parks, now it's time to focus on some of our streetscapes too.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
So this is what that park will look like. Very nice! Memorial is ramping up to be the nicest drive in the city.
Not if they keep closing it to have street parties for latte-sipping social engineers!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:29 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Not if they keep closing it to have street parties for social engineers!
don't forget the latte-sipping elitists!

silly hall.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:31 AM
I'm the bear on the right

Sssshhh.....don't tell Blinky.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 3:49 AM

On a serious note, this is a highly visible and high profile spot, and it's good that it will be made to look more attractive. I'd like to see some more renderings though.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2010, 9:48 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
Not if they keep closing it to have street parties for latte-sipping social engineers!
I never heard anything about this being the site of a war memorial! It's just political posturing to waste taxpayer money!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 2:08 AM

couldnt find anything on when this will be completed?

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 5:49 AM

slowly taking shape

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:14 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Ah, thanks for the thread bump. I saw those panels on the weekend. I was regaling my rafting mates with stories about the new Riverwalk we were going to shortly pass by, and the robo-toilet - which came in extremely handy - and then we saw these. So of course they asked me what they were, and I had no clue.

Are they supposed to look like crappy rusted metal, or is that just until they're "finished"? I felt a certain sense of irony because the banks of the Bow used to be littered with scraps of rusted metal before the big cleanup started in the 1960s.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:21 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

I think that is the final look for the metal, and I love it. Can't wait for this whole section of the memorial pathway to be opened up, maybe even with a new bridge.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:26 PM

they be hoping for the steel to get a to a deeper reddish color...for a memorial, the rusting is actually something selected so that there wouldn't be the need for yearly maintenance, and if someone tags its, the hope is that you'd simply sand blast it and it will eventually rust back...

apparently, the interesting stuff is still to come...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 2:42 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
they be hoping for the steel to get a to a deeper reddish color...for a memorial, the rusting is actually something selected so that there wouldn't be the need for yearly maintenance, and if someone tags its, the hope is that you'd simply sand blast it and it will eventually rust back...

apparently, the interesting stuff is still to come...
I hope nobody has the lack of respect to tag art that reflects on the sacrifice and the commitment of those that have served.

If anyone does the authorities should be allowed to catch them and let a group of infantryman beat the shit out of them.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I hope nobody has the lack of respect to tag art that reflects on the sacrifice and the commitment of those that have served.

If anyone does the authorities should be allowed to catch them and let a group of infantryman beat the shit out of them.
well, interestingly enough, I noticed the retaining walls had been tagged prior to the corten install - but no one touched the corten, even though they happened to be beside each other...

but you never know - I heard the soldier's memorial (just west of 10th st) was tagged on the marble, but it looks like it has been removed...

no accounting for idiots unfortunately

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post

I agree that taggers should be treated very harshly, perhaps broken hands might make them think twice. Its the nerve of damaging other peoples property that really gets to me. If you want to spray paint something, do it to your own stuff.

On a more project specific note, is it just me, or is this the never ending project. I swear that its being going on for nearly two years now with no end in sight.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:34 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

It has definitely been going on for a couple of years, but it looks like things must be getting near to the end. Looks like they moved a lot of dirt for the new landscaping and pathway layouts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues