HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 11, 2009, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
If I had to lay money on the outcome of a Glenmore Trail east extension, I would account for the following factors:
  • 17 Avenue SE to Chestermere would more than likely be stripped of its AB-1A designation in favour of an upgraded Peigan Trail;
  • Farm, residential acreage, and industrial landowners in the AB-1/Peigan/Glenmore corridors might have a thing or two to say about a straight-line spur connecting AB-1 to AB-8, and would more likely strongly suggest an alignment hewing more closely to the township and range road allowances already in place;
  • AB-1 between AB-2 and AB-201 will be upgraded to full motorway standards sooner rather than later;
  • ABDoT and Calgary Roads possess a multitude of tools that would make life more than miserable for any non-local or non-tourist driver tempted to drive through the city on AB-1 instead of diverting to AB-201;
  • The Glenmore Causeway is a flat-out, full-stop, no-go zone for dangerous goods traffic in the first instance, and a constant bottleneck due to rush-hour commuter traffic in the second instance; and
  • The individual segments of AB-1 through Calgary fulfil very different local roles than the one-size-fits-most way of thinking that informed the last round of plans for a Transcanada Motorway back in 1970.

In short, I would expect Peigan and Glenmore to tie into a northish-southish spur of the Transcanada, but not the full-on diversion to Glenmore.
It should be noted that only Class 6 Dangerous Goods are prohibited from using the Glenmore Causeway (Toxic or Infectious Substances), other Dangerous Goods are permitted. Class 6 Dangerous Goods could easily use the bypass.

Also, the diagonal extension shown on the map loosely follows the CN rail line, which enters the city around Peigan Trail.

Last edited by dmuzika; Feb 12, 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 7:20 PM
Mooderator

the feds are going to be making an announcement tomorrow re: Trans-Canada thru Banff National Park (this is on top of what they've already announced).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 7:31 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
the feds are going to be making an announcement tomorrow re: Trans-Canada thru Banff National Park (this is on top of what they've already announced).
What can possibly be any different this time around? My understanding is that the funding is already in place for the twinning of the highway and all associated components to the BC border.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2009, 7:48 PM
Mooderator

I guess we'll have to wait and see. Interchange, maybe (with 93)?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 1:37 AM
BANNED

here's that announcement:

Quote:
Feb 14, 2009 13:00 ET
Government of Canada Highlights Further Improvements to Trans-Canada Highway Through Banff

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - Feb. 14, 2009) - The Honourable Jim Prentice, federal Environment Minister and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, today highlighted new resources for the twinning of the Trans-Canada Highway in Banff National Park, an investment recently announced in Canada's Economic Action Plan.

"With Canada's Economic Action Plan, we are taking immediate action to improve roads, create jobs and provide the infrastructure Canada needs to grow in the years to come," said Minister Prentice. "This funding provides real action and real stimulus, while ensuring tangible benefits for Banff National Park and its millions of visitors for years to come and will contribute to the region's reputation as a world-class destination."

Budget 2009 - Canada's Economic Action Plan - provides for $130 million to complete the twinning of the Trans-Canada Highway in Banff National Park with an additional eight kilometres twinned between Lake Louise and the British Columbia border. The funding also includes the construction of a new interchange at the intersection of the Trans-Canada Highway and the Icefields Parkway (Highway 93 North).

This area of highway has been the site of several fatal traffic accidents and is considered one of the most serious remaining congestion points between Vancouver and Calgary. The Trans-Canada Highway twinning project seeks to maximize motorist safety, bring about environmental improvements, resolve wildlife and traffic conflicts and facilitate the safe and efficient flow of commercial goods and services on Canada's national highway.

This investment is in addition to a $100 million investment announced by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in August 2008, which permits upgrades to the 14 kilometres of two-lane highway remaining on the Trans-Canada between Lake Louise and Banff.

"In the past year, our Government has committed over $230 million to Trans-Canada Highway twinning - the largest investment ever made in Banff National Park," added Minister Prentice. "We are committed to delivering projects that stimulate our economy, create jobs and ensure the safety of Canadians traveling on our roadways."

As part of Canada's Economic Action Plan, the government is delivering immediate action and investments in infrastructure. This is a targeted plan that will create and maintain jobs for today and tomorrow. The plan invests $4.5 billion over the next two years for infrastructure projects in Alberta.

(Also available on the Internet at www.pc.gc.ca under Media Room.)
http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...da-949817.html

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 8:05 PM

Good to hear

======================================
New Interchange on the TCH in Regina
======================================

Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
Just heard on News Talk 980 that construction is to begin on the Lewvan and Highway 1 interchange this spring as the design phase has been completed. The first step will be relocating utilities. Its about time this is getting done. It is terrible though how long it takes to get federal infrastructure funding.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 9:09 PM
Busy Beaver

Although Ontario's Highway 17 won't be twinned in our lifetimes, I'd like to see it upgraded with ample wide shoulders though its entire length as soon as possible. Bear in mind that every cross-Canada endeavour has to go though this corridor, from Terry Fox's run, to Rick Hansen's wheelchair, and every cyclist/inline skater/you-name-the-activity adventurer that hopes to go from coast to coast. There are hundreds of them each year -- I know I was one of them a couple of years back. The Northern Ontario stretch was one that left me constantly fearing for my life because of the lack of shoulders, sometimes with trucks passing my bike by mere inches (at least it felt like it). I'd love to see Ontario adopt the Route verte standards for this highway.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Although Ontario's Highway 17 won't be twinned in our lifetimes, I'd like to see it upgraded with ample wide shoulders though its entire length as soon as possible. Bear in mind that every cross-Canada endeavour has to go though this corridor, from Terry Fox's run, to Rick Hansen's wheelchair, and every cyclist/inline skater/you-name-the-activity adventurer that hopes to go from coast to coast. There are hundreds of them each year -- I know I was one of them a couple of years back. The Northern Ontario stretch was one that left me constantly fearing for my life because of the lack of shoulders, sometimes with trucks passing my bike by mere inches (at least it felt like it). I'd love to see Ontario adopt the Route verte standards for this highway.

On behalf of my brother-in-law who cycled the entire TCH in 2007, I Agree with you %100. According to him, the WORST part of his journey was the lack of shoulders in Ontario.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 8:08 PM

This was just announced for the Antigonish Bypass in Northern NS;

Tenders Called for Highway 104 Twinning
Transportation and Infrastructure RenewalFebruary 18, 2009 3:01 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first visible step in the twinning of Highway 104 in the Antigonish area will begin soon thanks to a tender call by the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.

The tender is to clear the right-of-way for the construction of four new lanes of Highway 104 from two kilometres west of Exit 31A, near Antigonish, east for about 7.5 kilometres. The project is being cost-shared with the federal government.

"This tender call represents the all-important first step in twinning Highway 104 in the Antigonish area," said Brooke Taylor, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal. "Both the federal and provincial governments recognize that Highway 104 is a key transportation corridor that connects Nova Scotia to the rest of Canada and we're committed to upgrading its ability to move drivers and products safely and efficiently."

The department's highways division manages more than 23,000 kilometres of roads in Nova Scotia. It maintains 4,100 bridges and operates seven provincial ferries. Staff provide services from district offices in Bridgewater, Bedford, Truro and Sydney.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 6:43 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Good News in Alberta and NS.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2009, 5:58 PM
So very tired...

Haven't seen this posted here yet:

(Map from BC Government)

Phase 1 and 2 (Park Bridge and Yoho Bridge) are complete. Phase 3 is funded and preliminary work is underway. Phase 4 is still in planning, and may feature a long twin-tube tunnel.

More info: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/kickinghorse/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2009, 4:16 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Although Ontario's Highway 17 won't be twinned in our lifetimes,
I wouldn't bet on that... the freeway builders are planning to blow holes in the Canadian Shield of Northern Ontario:

http://news.ontario.ca/mndm/en/2008/...o-success.html
Quote:
Ontario is making record investments in the province's northern highway system.
A $546-million investment in 2008-09 will continue to improve the safety and efficiency of the area's highway infrastructure.
In Northwestern Ontario, critical projects include:
-Planned safety enhancements along the Thunder Bay expressway
-Continued work on Highway 17 east and west of Thunder Bay [this is twinning work]
-A major five-year rehabilitation of the Noden Causeway on Highway 11 near Fort Frances
-Detailed engineering work on the Highway 11/17 corridor from Thunder Bay to Nipigon
-Route planning studies for future four-laning for several sections of Highway 17 to the Manitoba border.
And see also: http://kenorachamber.com/News.html

Quote:
I'd like to see it upgraded with ample wide shoulders though its entire length as soon as possible. Bear in mind that every cross-Canada endeavour has to go though this corridor, from Terry Fox's run, to Rick Hansen's wheelchair, and every cyclist/inline skater/you-name-the-activity adventurer that hopes to go from coast to coast. There are hundreds of them each year -- I know I was one of them a couple of years back. The Northern Ontario stretch was one that left me constantly fearing for my life because of the lack of shoulders, sometimes with trucks passing my bike by mere inches (at least it felt like it). I'd love to see Ontario adopt the Route verte standards for this highway.
Lord knows what the MTO will do about cyclists et al doing Trans-Canada tours since there are no other roads through there. Not that the MTO cares about such things anyway... where Hwy 17 turns into Hwy 417 at Arnprior there are no signs telling cyclists that they're not allowed on the 417, never mind telling them where they should go. Because of this moronic thoughtlessness on the MTO's part every now and then you see fully-laden European cycle tourists trying to navigate through the 416/417 interchange...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 8:52 PM
HVAC guru

From the Edmonton Construction Association plan room:

2009-E0321 DESIGN-BUILD - ICEFIELDS INTERCHANGE - LAKE LOUISE
Subscribe

City:
BANFF NATIONAL PARK
Start Date:
09/03/2009
Gen Close Date:
17/04/2009
Addendum:

The Work includes (but is not limited to) design and construction for the twinning of approximately 3 kilometers of existing Trans Canada Highway, demolition and removal of the existing Interchange Bridge, construction of a new Interchange Bridge and associated ramps, lighting of the interchange, a new Bow River Bridge at km 76 for new eastbound lanes of twinned Trans Canada Highway and associated works as more fully described in the RFP Document.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 5:15 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Great news in the last three posts - and long overdue. Maybe the recession is good from a road building perspective.

I've been following the Kickinghorse project closely through the website and have to say the phase 4 tunnels option would be awesome. It still bugs me that the completed portion next to the massive new retaining wall is only 3 lanes (unless it's changed in the pase year since I drove it).

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 2:20 PM
Chuggernaught

Hey Craner, FWIW, it is only three lanes as of end of July 2008; two climbing and one descending. Would be cool if at the bottom of the hill (at Yoho bridge) if they just turned it right into the face of the mountain and tunnelled at that elevation all the way to town, or wherever they were going to pop out (hard to tell the lines are thick on that satellite photo).

While going to University at Lakehead I had the brainwave to cycle from Thunder Bay to my buddy's campground 20km past Nipigon, along 11/17. The shoulder was non-existant on parts of that highway, think 2ft of unridable chunky asphault, you basically had to ride on the white line to have any hope of good pace. Not very good for cyclists and on that particular day I think I passed two cross Canada groups, not very safe at all for anyone not in a transport truck! Preaching to the choir here but yeah, my thoughts were along the line of "I can't believe this road right here is the only one that will get you across the country".

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
I wouldn't bet on that... the freeway builders are planning to blow holes in the Canadian Shield of Northern Ontario:

http://news.ontario.ca/mndm/en/2008/...o-success.html

And see also: http://kenorachamber.com/News.html
The sad thing about the first URL is how great it all sounds, but how ambiguous the actual news is. The only real twinning project officially on the books is between Kenora and the Manitoba border. There are plans for studies again and again, just like there have been for the last 30 years.
The upgrades to the Thunder Bay Expressway include extended turning lanes at the intersections, repaving, and lighting along the entire route. There isn't even a plan for a proper solid median inside the city, never mind grade-separated interchanges. There is a study taking place for the next two years as part of a plan to twin an additional 10km of highway with an inclusion of ONE grade-separated interchange at a minor highway crossing east of the city. There are 8 additional intersections along the length of the Thunder Bay Expressway alone. In the 31 years of my life they have constructed one fly-over, twinned less than 5km, and conducted at least 4 studies that proposed grade-separated exchanges for safety reasons. At this rate the 1300 or so kilometres between Sault Ste. Marie and the Manitoba Border should be twinned by the time my great-grandchildren are having grand-children.

I am sorry but there have been too many studies and not enough action on the part of the provincial and federal governments when it comes to construction on this stretch of highway. Vid is right - this is going to take decades.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2009, 11:07 PM
I am a typical

I remember in 1993 or 1994, when I lived right across from County Fair, how the whole neighbourhood was talking about the clover leaf that was going to be built right near us. It never happened.

They have done studies to improve the highway between Thunder Bay 2 or 3 times in my lifetime, and that's just two decades. Never goes anywhere. The latest plan has them, instead of improving the existing highway, spending millions on getting private land and building a third corridor between the city and Crystal Beach. The Shabaqua Extension alone took 15 years to complete phase one, and they worked it down from a four lane divided highway between here and Shabaqua that was going to replace Arthur Street and 102 to a two lane road to the weight scales that no one uses. And they spent how much on it? 60 million? It doesn't even go anywhere near the community it's named after!

Most of the Thunder Bay Expressway doesn't even have light towers! One stretch between 102 and John Street and right by the airport has illumination and that's it.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:20 AM
I'm just joking.

Does Thunder Bay even get traffic jams to warrant an freeway?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 1:07 AM

The traffic problems at Dawson Road, the Thunder Bay Expressway, and Red River Road at rush hour are legendary in the city of Thunder Bay.

The need for grade-separate exchanges and a true expressway come from the sheer traffic volumes of transports and large vehicles on the expressway here. I have been witness to at least two accidents on the expressway involving fatigued transport drivers trying to run a light or drifting across the median. I'm not sure of the actual numbers but I would estimate that, on average, a dozen people die a year on the expressway here because of similar circumstances, not to mention the accidents where people are only injured. They might be small numbers compared to the south but considering the population here - those numbers is unacceptable and easily changed if the government would only invest a little more effort in this part of the province.

Vid - do you have a better estimate than that?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
I am a typical

I can't find stats on highway fatalities, but aside from the Expressway proper, the Shab and Arthur Street between the airport and 130 have claimed a lot of lives in the past year, mostly young women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathgrith View Post
Does Thunder Bay even get traffic jams to warrant an freeway?
Yes. Our widest road is five lanes, the fifth is turning. Intercity at rush hour is gridlocked (and it isn't even a grid!). There have been occasions where traffic moves so slow you get caught at the same light 3 or 4 times or worse, stuck in the middle of an intersection, unable to go anywhere, thus blocking another road. The main roads in the intercity area are four lane roads with AADTs above 25,000 and many are turning and merging in and out of traffic. (Depending on the day and season; during Christmas shopping it had to have been at or above 50,000, it was chaos.) Imagine all of the shopping malls and big box stores of your city on a three block corridor between two downtowns, and there being no other choices. That's intercity.

Aside from the intercity area, the intersection of Highways 102 and 11/17 has exceeded its capacity. When I lived in Jumbo Gardens up until 2004, that intersection was backed up over a mile west in the morning, and in the afternoon there was so much traffic that on several occasions, the intersection of Junot and Red River (102) was blocked because cars got stopped in the middle of it, causing that street to lock up, though I never saw traffic on Junot stretch more than 200m. Jumbo Gardens has grown since then (it is the fastest growing part of Thunder Bay, aside from the reserve) so the problems are likely worse now.

AADTs on major roads in Intercity were between 25,000 and 40,000 AADT in 2004, and that area has grown since then.

Highway traffic data from 2004 in the Lakehead:

The thickness of the line is how many lanes the road has--2 pixels is 2 lanes, 4 is 4 lanes. Each pixel represents 500m.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada