HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:56 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I know we had this discussion about the Kicking Horse Phase 4 schedule a while ago - must have been in the BC section.
The fall 2020 start has been the plan for at least a year now.

Here is a good link:
http://https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/kicking-horse-canyon-project/kicking-horse-canyon-phase-4/kicking-horse-canyon-project-overview

When they are done in 2024 it will have taken 21 years to twin 26kms of the TCH. At this rate I’ll have to live to be about 300 years old to see the national highway fully twinned through BC. And still no interchange in Golden (or Field or Salmon Arm West, or ...).

I am excited about Kicking Horse Phase 4 though - going to be cool to see.

Last edited by craner; Jun 2, 2020 at 3:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 3:12 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

For anyone that's interested about Quebec's Autoroute 85 construction, I've finally found the map of the current and proposed route.
From Rivière-du-Loup to Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata:
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...85-Carte-1.pdf

From Saint-Honoré-de-Témiscouata to Saint-Louis-du-Ha!-Ha!:
https://www.transports.gouv.qc.ca/fr...85-Carte-2.pdf

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
I got the impression from the Calgary Herald article from last fall that closures would start this spring, but re-reading the article it mentioned that construction would begin this year and closures would be permitted Apr 1-May 15 and Sept 15-Nov 30; nothing specifically saying that it would be closed sometime between April 1-May 15, 2020.
This doesn't mean they couldn't be working around the road when it's open, though. That's why I'm surprised they aren't starting in the summer. They can make detours for the road to keep it open and get some work done. Those closure dates are very short in construction terms so there's no way to get it all done in those short times.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:27 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Making detours for KHC Phase 4? Can cars (especially trucks) go down the cliff into the river below and climb back up safely??
Or do you mean closing 1 lane and alternate traffic?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Making detours for KHC Phase 4? Can cars (especially trucks) go down the cliff into the river below and climb back up safely??
Or do you mean closing 1 lane and alternate traffic?
If you drove through the canyon during the Park bridge phase, you'll have a pretty good idea of how they can move the road around. Narrowing the road, shuffling it over where there's room, and intermittent lane closures for short duration. They even pulled those off in areas where the hillside was literally falling apart from the construction.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:45 PM

On a related note - I do have a lot of memories of sitting on the hood of my car while waiting for blasting, approaching what is now the truck stop at the top of the Park Bridge hill. They would close the highway for 30 minutes to an hour and traffic backed up a ton from that. When you were sitting on the old hill climb, you really saw just how old that stretch was and I always impressed how these old timber walls held up the road for so long.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
If you drove through the canyon during the Park bridge phase, you'll have a pretty good idea of how they can move the road around. Narrowing the road, shuffling it over where there's room, and intermittent lane closures for short duration. They even pulled those off in areas where the hillside was literally falling apart from the construction.
Might be a bit tricky in Phase 4. The Park Bridge was an outright realignment (the highway rejoins the old alignment at the rest stop). Phase 4 is mostly be an expansion of the existing alignment with some new bridges and rock cuts; no major realignments. I think there will still be construction work, but outright closures are only permitted spring/fall.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
Might be a bit tricky in Phase 4. The Park Bridge was an outright realignment (the highway rejoins the old alignment at the rest stop). Phase 4 is mostly be an expansion of the existing alignment with some new bridges and rock cuts; no major realignments. I think there will still be construction work, but outright closures are only permitted spring/fall.
Depending on the blasting work that is required, I think there will be minimal closures as well. With the original tunneled approach there would have been more closures.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:08 AM

Last edited by flipper316; Jun 18, 2020 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:31 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Thanks for posting those flipper.

Effin’ at-grade intersections for left-hand turns.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 7:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea have fun dealing with B.C.M.I.T. I'm done with B.C. highways, and I'm better off mapping out the freeway routes in Ontario where M.T.O. has done no planning whatsoever.
For example, between Kenora and Willard Lake, in the middle of Lake of the Woods:
https://imgur.com/a/fiPkEF4
Then from Willard Lake to Vermillion Bay:
https://imgur.com/a/WxFjzuE
I was actually pretty surprised that I ended up tackling the most challenging section west of T Bay first.

Legends:
Red colour = proposed 4-lane divided freeway
Black colour = emergency detour route (EDR)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2020, 8:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Yea have fun dealing with B.C.M.I.T. I'm done with B.C. highways, and I'm better off mapping out the freeway routes in Ontario where M.T.O. has done no planning whatsoever.
For example, between Kenora and Willard Lake, in the middle of Lake of the Woods:
https://imgur.com/a/fiPkEF4
Then from Willard Lake to Vermillion Bay:
https://imgur.com/a/WxFjzuE
I was actually pretty surprised that I ended up tackling the most challenging section west of T Bay first.

Legends:
Red colour = proposed 4-lane divided freeway
Black colour = emergency detour route (EDR)
Just charge the MTO a consult fee when they actually start planning.

"Look! I already did the work for you guys!"

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 1:28 AM
I am a typical

It's one thing to draw the lines, it's another to know what's underneath those lines. Building highways up here isn't the easiest task.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 2:20 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
It's one thing to draw the lines, it's another to know what's underneath those lines. Building highways up here isn't the easiest task.
@swimmer_spe and I have had extensive talks about that when I used to try to “plan” the route for NEO. Then I was like, “Forget it, I’m gonna work with T Bay and points west first. It looks like I only have to worry about granites and muskegs.” (In NEO, I also have to watch out for fault lines and craters and on top of them, numerous settlements...)

I do admit it’s more or less a shot in the dark right now though. Lol, if you read check the Manitoba Highway thread, you’ll find out that I was trying to recruit help. Then again swimmer_spe said that route planning (by me) in NEO (other than those already finalized by M.T.O.) is a shot in the dark too.

Maybe one of the proposed routes is feasible, which will be great. Maybe none of them works. I showed that drawing in Google terrain map so it’s easier for locals like you(?) to identify potential issues right away.

By the way, do you remember how the alignment for Shabaqua - T Bay freeway goes? I can guess the part between Twin City and a bit south of Sistonens Corners, but after that, I can’t.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:44 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-bc-1.5505159

CBC comment sections are usually pretty toxic but this article is an exception. Several people in agreement that this highway sucks. Just like us on here.

Edit

Now its closed east of Revelstoke as well . https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304...hursday#304276

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper316 View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...t-bc-1.5505159

CBC comment sections are usually pretty toxic but this article is an exception. Several people in agreement that this highway sucks. Just like us on here.

Edit

Now its closed east of Revelstoke as well . https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/304...hursday#304276
I was affected by that, although I came through today after the section east of Revelstoke re-opened. Still, it took me 3 hours to get from Golden to Revelstoke.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:12 AM

Quote:
At least now I know that I don’t have to decide my routes in Medicine Hat until Fall for my hypothetical crosscountry trip.
Actually, where’s mannysantos? This will be useful information for him!
Funny, I never checked out this thread until today. How did I miss this??!

Medicine Hat badly needs a bypass. And I think the Perimeter Highway in Winnipeg leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:56 AM

Just gets worse and worse. Why does BC suck so much at building highways?

https://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...obs-1.24164995

Nobody ever said building highways in B.C. would be easy. But New Democrats seem to be going out of their way to make the ventures as expensive and time-consuming as possible.

There was an exchange last week in the legislature between past and present highways ministers that delved into this phenomenon.

It was on the topic of four-laning the Trans-Canada Highway east of Kamloops.

Liberal critic Todd Stone, the former minister, faced off against Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Claire Trevena.

The overall project of extending the four-lane sections from Kamloops to the Alberta border has been underway for years. But it will still take another billion dollars over the next three years to complete. Judging by performance to date, those cost and time figures are very loose estimates.

The Opposition suspects the community benefits agreement the NDP government created to mandate fairer hiring on public job sites is a big reason. It set up a new Crown corporation to act as a hiring hall and stipulates mandatory membership in select unions for anyone looking for work on the project.

Trevena was not interested in talking about the new cost those deals impose, only the benefits they are supposed to create.

But the deals appear to be driving some of the scope-shrink and cost-creep that Vancouver Sun columnist Vaughn Palmer identified earlier.

In one specific phase, said Stone, the original plan for 9.9 contiguous kilometres of four-laning (Hoffman’s Bluff-Jade Mountain) has turned into a 4.9-kilometre job that will cost $61 million more that the original $199 million estimate.

There’s one less interchange and an emergency access has been skipped. One stretch has been postponed because there’s no accommodation agreement with a resident First Nation. That means millions in federal money is off the table for the time being.

Trevena said the original plan was a “conceptual design … The figures were definitely not solid.

“I think what we have now is the realistic budget … What was proffered before, unfortunately, wasn’t grounded in a foundation.”

She took pains to note that Stone was responsible for the original estimate.

That was in 2015, which means it’s taken five years to plan and re-plan what turns out to be 4.9 kilometres of road.

Stone said it was ready to go in 2017, but Trevena suspended all work on that job, as she did on the Massey Tunnel replacement.

“Of course the costs are going to go up when you delay a major highway construction project by three years,” he said.

Even Trevena had to concede “there’s a sense of frustration” in the community about the delay.

Further along the road, Liberal MLA Greg Kyllo (Shuswap) had a similar story about the Salmon Arm section.

It was originally announced by the Liberals in 2016 as a six-kilometre-long paving job for $162.7 million.

Now it’s been scaled back to 3.3 kilometres and the price estimate has jumped to $184.7 million.

It’s currently out to tender. One section has been postponed because there’s no accommodation agreement with a resident First Nation. That means millions in federal money is off the table for the time being.

Trevena said they did due diligence on the project and were facing a hot construction market that drove up prices.

There are no cost figures for exactly how much community benefits agreements are adding to the road jobs. More accurately, the cost of the agreements is not being made public.

The goal is worthy — spur the employment of local people, Indigenous people and under-represented groups, by taking more control of the hiring process.

But that goal has been widely adopted in construction for several years.

If the government was trying to make more room in an all-white male industry it would be a different story.

But the industry was already broadening its hiring, partly due to the labour shortage. Until the difference in diversity is made clear, it’s hard to see how community benefit agreements are worth the costs.

Just So You Know: There’s one thing the Trans-Canada Highway projects can save money on. They won’t have to bother putting up the “Completed on time and on budget” billboards if they ever finish the work.

lleyne@timescolonist.com

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 4:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
In Ontario, IMO, the Arnprior-Renfrew section (from Division Street to Highway 60) should be put up almost immediately (it would likely only take about 2 years to construct, so they don't even need to start it until late next year to get a 2013 completion date). Due to the lack of any real expensive bridges, that whole 22 km section should be done at once. The only real challenge is some blasting between Miller Road and the abandoned CNR overpass where it skirts the edge of the valley plains.

Given the relative low costs, the Pembroke and Petawawa bypasses (32 km, probably in 2 contracts) could be twinned as well before the new alignment east of Muskrat Lake (which would create a gap). By 2019, there would be a full freeway at least as far as the end of Petawawa, or a total length of about 295 km in Ontario (including about 115 km of new construction). Of the remaining sections up to CFB Petawawa, my guess is the Renfrew bypass will be the most expensive as it also requires 2 new high-level bridges of the Bonnechere River.

How I would do that:

CR 29 to Division Street (Under construction) - Completion 2011
Division Street to Highway 60 - Start 2011/12, Completion 2013
Highway 60 to east of Storyland Road/CR 4 - Start 2014, Completion 2016
East of Storyland Road/CR 4 to Chenaux Road/CR 653 - Start 2015, Completion 2016
Chenaux Road/CR 653 to Greenwood Road/CR 40 - Start 2016, Completion 2018
Greenwood Road/CR 40 to Highway 41 - Start 2013, Completion 2014
Highway 41 to Forest Lea Road/CR 42 - Start 2015, Completion 2016
Forest Lea Road/CR 42 to Paquette Road/CR 55 - Start 2016, Completion 2017
Paquette Road/CR 55 to south end of currently undefined(?) Chalk River bypass - Start 2018, Completion 2019

The Chalk River bypass (would likely take 3 years to construct) and the Deep River bypass (would likely take 3-4 years to construct depending on bridge work necessary) would be funding-dependant and unlikely before the next decade unless others get moved up.
10 years later...
I was looking for information on Chalk River Bypass and Google led me here.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 6:21 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada