HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Okotoks took some ribbing for adopting the tourism slogan "There are a number of things to do in Okotoks":

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...tter-1.3241656
If vid needed that explained to him then he should turn in his SSP Canada Membership Card

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:17 AM
I am a typical

Yeah I was hopping someone would directly respond with just "There are plenty of things to do in Okotoks". To which I would then respond, "O? List them."

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
But even if he does look like that, what happens if that black guy just happens to be an electrician's apprentice on his weekend off coming into the community or reserve to visit his indigenous girlfriend and her family?
"What happens?" Nothing - the cops let him go.

I'm sure I'd also be likely to get stopped for questioning if I ventured into a remote NWO reserve with Quebec plates (I passed through the area in March of this year, as you know) if it's somewhat well known that a significant percentage of the cases of "people from away" being interested in the area involve drug trafficking.

I could say I'm just randomly sightseeing, they might still search my vehicle...

I'm sure I'd be smart enough to not get Darwinized, though. Regardless of the turn the situation takes. (And if I wanted Suicide-By-Cop, I'd also be smart enough to achieve that.)

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Yeah I was hopping someone would directly respond with just "There are plenty of things to do in Okotoks". To which I would then respond, "O? List them."
"List them"?!? You can't do that... It's just marketing; there aren't really things to do there.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 3:54 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
"What happens?" Nothing - the cops let him go.

I'm sure I'd also be likely to get stopped for questioning if I ventured into a remote NWO reserve with Quebec plates (I passed through the area in March of this year, as you know) if it's somewhat well known that a significant percentage of the cases of "people from away" being interested in the area involve drug trafficking.

I could say I'm just randomly sightseeing, they might still search my vehicle...

I'm sure I'd be smart enough to not get Darwinized, though. Regardless of the turn the situation takes. (And if I wanted Suicide-By-Cop, I'd also be smart enough to achieve that.)
Some of them will actually ask where you're staying or who your contact there is, and if you don't have one, they don't let you in.

A few of those communities still practice banishment (illegally, but they have their ways of enforcing it) so even sometimes natives aren't allowed back to their own communities. A small amount of the homeless in Thunder Bay are banished natives from the far north.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
If vid needed that explained to him then he should turn in his SSP Canada Membership Card
OK, it was late, I was tired and sleep-deprived, I was drinking (etc., etc.)

However, to redeem myself, the Top 10 things to do in Okotoks as presented by TripAdvisor...

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...s_Alberta.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:55 PM

A Gatineau woman in her 20s is charged with homicide and concealing the body of a child in the death of an infant (a newborn, I think). The child apparently died a month ago.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A Gatineau woman in her 20s is charged with homicide and concealing the body of a child in the death of an infant (a newborn, I think). The child apparently died a month ago.
Bad scene. Cops that attended have been given psychological help.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bad scene. Cops that attended have been given psychological help.
If the kid was aborted nothing? If they were born it's a tragedy?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 11:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
If the kid was aborted nothing? If they were born it's a tragedy?
This child was about 2 years old.

My kids were talking with me at 18 months.

Last edited by Acajack; Jun 30, 2020 at 11:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 10:20 PM

Surprised nobody mentioned the 14 and 15 year olds who went on a shooting spree in Winnipeg on Canada Day:

Boy, 15, joins 14-year-old facing 1st-degree murder charge in shooting death of Danielle Cote

Police have arrested a second teenage boy in connection with a string of unrelated shootings in Winnipeg this week that left one woman dead and several other people wounded.

A boy, 15, is now charged with first-degree murder and a list of other serious offences related to three of the four attacks, all of which happened in the same 24-hour period, police said at a news conference on Saturday morning.

The first shooting happened on July 1 at about 2:27 a.m., when a 44-year-old man who had been shot and then hit by a vehicle was found on Balmoral Street near Cumberland Avenue, Winnipeg Police Service spokesperson Const. Jay Murray said.

Police allege that the 15-year-old and a boy, 14, charged on Friday were involved in that shooting. Police believe the two boys knew each other but did not know any of the victims, Murray said. Investigators still don't know what prompted the shootings.

Shortly after the first shooting on Wednesday morning, police believe the two teens parted ways, during which time the 14-year-old shot at a 17-year-old girl on Isabel Street between Pacific and Bannatyne Avenues, Murray said. Police said they think that girl was with another man or boy at the time, though they have not been able to identify him.

At 3:15 a.m. the same day, Danielle Cote, 27, and her 18-year-old cousin were walking down Flora Avenue near Salter Street when Cote was shot and killed. Her cousin was wounded and taken to hospital in stable condition. Police allege that the same two teens were also involved in that shooting....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ings-1.5637882

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned the 14 and 15 year olds who went on a shooting spree in Winnipeg on Canada Day:

Boy, 15, joins 14-year-old facing 1st-degree murder charge in shooting death of Danielle Cote

Police have arrested a second teenage boy in connection with a string of unrelated shootings in Winnipeg this week that left one woman dead and several other people wounded.

A boy, 15, is now charged with first-degree murder and a list of other serious offences related to three of the four attacks, all of which happened in the same 24-hour period, police said at a news conference on Saturday morning.

The first shooting happened on July 1 at about 2:27 a.m., when a 44-year-old man who had been shot and then hit by a vehicle was found on Balmoral Street near Cumberland Avenue, Winnipeg Police Service spokesperson Const. Jay Murray said.

Police allege that the 15-year-old and a boy, 14, charged on Friday were involved in that shooting. Police believe the two boys knew each other but did not know any of the victims, Murray said. Investigators still don't know what prompted the shootings.

Shortly after the first shooting on Wednesday morning, police believe the two teens parted ways, during which time the 14-year-old shot at a 17-year-old girl on Isabel Street between Pacific and Bannatyne Avenues, Murray said. Police said they think that girl was with another man or boy at the time, though they have not been able to identify him.

At 3:15 a.m. the same day, Danielle Cote, 27, and her 18-year-old cousin were walking down Flora Avenue near Salter Street when Cote was shot and killed. Her cousin was wounded and taken to hospital in stable condition. Police allege that the same two teens were also involved in that shooting....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ings-1.5637882
I was just about to post the articles relating to this murder. It makes you shake your head - what would compel 14 and 15 year old kids to kill someone else that they didn't even know...and it sounds like it wasn't even in the heat of the moment either due to the charge of first degree murder.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:11 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

There has been a apparent homicide in St. John's today. Where's SHH?

UPDATE: Police investigating apparent homicide in St. John's

Quote:
Nearby residents were told to shelter in place while stand-off incident was ongoing
https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...-johns-469677/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:19 AM

The response and shelter in place warnings seemed.....unwarranted and overkill. Likely drugs or gang stuff, I highly doubt anyone in the area was at risk. Also not sure what the police were involved in a stand-off with since there were no suspects in the area or no arrests.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 12:34 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post

The response and shelter in place warnings seemed.....unwarranted and overkill. Likely drugs or gang stuff, I highly doubt anyone in the area was at risk. Also not sure what the police were involved in a stand-off with since there were no suspects in the area or no arrests.
I guess it was national news (slow news day?) because of the shelter in place order. There was a murder in my neighborhood a couple of years ago, a daytime targeted shooting with witnesses, still unsolved, but such a thing does not make national news.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 3:19 AM

2 homicides in Halifax over the past week, a stabbing on the 29th and a shooting on Canada Day, both on the Peninsula.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 1:01 PM

There was also a (targetted?) shooting death in Toronto the other day. It was barely a "blip" in terms of the news.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 6:24 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The bodies of the 2 quebecois girls are found. It will only get worse from here.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 11:47 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The bodies of the 2 quebecois girls are found. It will only get worse from here.
There are actually stats on that, this one is five years old:

Quote:
30 children killed by their parents in Canada each year, expert says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...says-1.3289322

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
There are actually stats on that, this one is five years old:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/winds...says-1.3289322
Actually, let’s hold off that assumption for the time being (it was my bad actually) and let Sûreté du Québec continue their investigation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada