HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi View Post
The mall in Downtown Hamilton is pretty dead... beside the (place formerly known as the) Eaton Center, the new one. I went there a few months ago, and there were like 3 open shops in a totally empty mall.
The City Centre mall (former Eaton Centre) is totally dead. The other mall, Jackson Square is not dead. It has some empty stores but is quite busy.

Much of City Centre is currently being renovated into office space.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:23 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
In Winnipeg, CityPlace downtown and probably Garden City are the most dead. I haven't been to Garden City in years though.
Didn't they recently redo Garden City?? I've only been there a couple times in my life.. too far away from where I lived in Winnipeg. I seem to remember hearing something like tht, but I could be wrong.

City Centre (Wpg) has always been an empty shell... but when Eaton's closed it really took a hit. Hopefully the MTS Centre and the Hydro Building will encourage the owner to revitalize the interior and make it a more attractive place. Otherwise it will continue to be a place you walk past on the way to the arena.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:25 AM
Change is good

In Edmonton, I would add in Mayfield common. It used to be an indoor mall, but has been convertered (15-20 years ago) to big boxes.

Meadowlark mall can also be added in - This mall will see redevelopment as and possible TOD when ever the LRT goes down 87ave. This mall kind of died after WEM took shape 12 blocks west.

Westmount mall is just a drop in center for seniors these days, and will see part of the mall converted into a Home Depot.

Millbourne mall in Millwoods almost died, and is saved by a local safeway, and a call center, which took over a zellers that was formerly in its place.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:46 AM
BANNED

The Decarie square has been converted into office space a long while ago.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:50 AM
Community Guy

hard to compete with southgate, kingsway, and WEM WEM WEM in Edmonton.

Heritage Mall went from empty to

www.centurypark.ca

UNREAL hey!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:52 AM

Here's a picture of City Centre in Hamilton, not a great picture, but you can see the deadness.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:55 AM

Terrasses Rock Forest in Sherbrooke is almost totally dead... 4-5 stores are still open, but there are plans on the way to destroy the mall and replace it with a power center.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:05 AM

sort of like how middlegate mall went from dead one level huge parking lot waste of space to highgate village!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 1:10 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton City Centre has improved a lot over the years, got a new department store Hart's (Quebec company). The top two floors are all call centre jobs with more coming and this year City Hall is relocating into City Centre so it'll be packed by the fall. I remember reading an article saying City Centre is 98% filled. So I wouldn't say Hamilton City Centre is dead, in fact I say it died and went to heaven.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:13 AM

Quote:
The Decarie square has been converted into office space a long while ago.
False. Decarie Square is still alive, barely, though it would probably be long gone if it wasn't for Winners/HomeSense, it's lead tenant. Sorry, no pics...

Great thread btw.

For all you Montrealers, does somebody recall what was the name of the empty shell which was supposed to become a shopping mall but was never occupied and was destroyed a few years ago in RDP or somewhere around there?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbaname View Post
For all you Montrealers, does somebody recall what was the name of the empty shell which was supposed to become a shopping mall but was never occupied and was destroyed a few years ago in RDP or somewhere around there?
I have no idea of the name, but I know exactly what you mean. It was abandoned for almsot 10 years until the structure was torn down, and was replced with a Canadian Tire, a Loblaws, a Bank of Montreal, a Tim Hortons and an SAQ.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:27 AM
Hammer'd

Centre Mall in Hamilton. Not quite dead, but very incredibly dated and dead "looking". There has been talk of a massive reconstruction project in the last 2 years, but nothing is really moving forward.

When I lived in Toronto last, we lived near "Lawrence Square" which is at Allen and Lawrence West. To call it a mall is actually kind of a lie... it was more of a glorified strip mall with a Zellers and a Canadian Tire. The food court was the most depressing thing I had ever seen.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 2:32 AM

Quote:
I have no idea of the name, but I know exactly what you mean. It was abandoned for almsot 10 years until the structure was torn down, and was replced with a Canadian Tire, a Loblaws, a Bank of Montreal, a Tim Hortons and an SAQ.
Thanks, where was it exactly?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:46 AM

The third floor of the Eaton Centre, I mean Bay Centre in Victoria is just brutal. The first two floor that have street level entrances are fully functional, but that third floor has a food court, one of those EI schools, and a bunch of vacancies....

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:09 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
In Winnipeg, CityPlace downtown and probably Garden City are the most dead. I haven't been to Garden City in years though.
I disagree, Garden City has been marginalized with the growth of other suburban big box centres and Polo Park.

However, all the store fronts are leased and there are people who still visit the mall. The problem with Garden City is that it's just too small.

The only dead mall I can think of was Unicity before they tore it down for a big box development.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:19 AM

Couldnt agree more about INternational VIllage, such a pathetic mall. I keep thinking the stores will begin to fill in wiht all the condos being completed in the area but it just stays empty... the theater on the other hand is amazing, always cheap prices and reclining chairs, amazing!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 4:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbaname View Post
False. Decarie Square is still alive, barely, though it would probably be long gone if it wasn't for Winners/HomeSense, it's lead tenant. Sorry, no pics...
what ?? maybe I'm mistaken it for some other shopping mall, the one I was posting about is on the service road of Decarie highway. All white metal and glass!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 6:49 AM

North Land Village is slow here in Calgree

Last edited by BSLetters; May 1, 2007 at 7:28 AM.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 7:08 AM
Hicksville Perspective

[/QUOTE]

Even though this 'dead mall' is from Hamilton it looks eerily similar in style to Eaton's Centre in downtown Edmonton ... Eaton's Centre used to be quite vibrant and upscale ... well that was until Eaton's went belly up about 10 years ago ... since then the mall has done steadily downhill with fewer and fewer tenants ... mind you I haven't been there for a few years ... do any of you Edmonton forumers know if Eaton's Centre is still a disaster or has it revitalized itself?

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Couldnt agree more about INternational VIllage, such a pathetic mall. I keep thinking the stores will begin to fill in wiht all the condos being completed in the area but it just stays empty... the theater on the other hand is amazing, always cheap prices and reclining chairs, amazing!

It is pretty lame but its not as bad as it used to be. Have you been there lately? It's filling up with a shitload of interesting art stores. In one of the stores any local artist can contribute their art, and if sold the owner will give a percantage of the sale to the artist. There is also this really cool Asian store with paintings, huge jade carvings and even these massive wooden doors that look like they would lead to an emperors house.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada