HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Dead Malls of Canada

I took a walk in downtown London yesterday, and stopped in to see if things were improving at the Galleria...they were not. I would estimate that about 80% of the mall was unrented, and many of the rented 'stores' were medical clinics, or educational-related. The upper levels were 95% empty.

All in all, one of the most disastrous malls in Canada...along with Montreal's Decarie-Square.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

Here is the Galleria:

Check out a book, have lunch at Burger King, and get a Prostate exam, all in the same mall.

London has another dying mall, the formerly upscale Westmount Shopping Centre.

Anyone got pictures of that ultimate disaster, the Decarie Square Mall in Montreal?

Post photos/facts of dead and dying malls in your cities.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:49 PM

Quick, someone from Calgary post a picture of Eau Claire Market.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 9:53 PM

Invite those silent dancers to perk the place up.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:11 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

MolsonEx, this is a great topic.

This isn't in Canada, but the sad saga of my teenaged stomping grounds deserves a link: On the demise of Woodmar Mall, Hammond, Indiana

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:22 PM

Aside from Eau Claire (which is pretty much vacant, and facing future redevelopment... I will let someone else post images/info that do it justice), the closest Calgary has to dead malls is Westbrook Mall. It's close if not fully occupied (I haven't been in there in quite a while, so this is secondhand), but if it weren't for the Walmart and Safeway the few dozen stores inside the mall probably wouldn't be there. Fortunately the site sits right on the future WLRT route, so it may be developed once that goes ahead. Pretty much every other mall is thriving in the boom, and most have either completed expansions in the past few years, or planning new/more expansion in the very near future.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:27 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Eau Claire isn't close to "pretty much vacant." For example, every bay in the food court is full. There are empty spaces for sure and we all know what its fate is, but it is far from vacant.

Nothing in Calgary is like that mess in London.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:30 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Edmonton:

Northgate Mall (the 2nd floor especially)

Heritage Mall before it was torn down for a high density development.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:35 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Aside from Eau Claire (which is pretty much vacant, and facing future redevelopment... I will let someone else post images/info that do it justice), the closest Calgary has to dead malls is Westbrook Mall. It's close if not fully occupied (I haven't been in there in quite a while, so this is secondhand), but if it weren't for the Walmart and Safeway the few dozen stores inside the mall probably wouldn't be there. Fortunately the site sits right on the future WLRT route, so it may be developed once that goes ahead. Pretty much every other mall is thriving in the boom, and most have either completed expansions in the past few years, or planning new/more expansion in the very near future.
Deerfoot Outlet mall came pretty close to dying I think. I believe it was a 'regular' mall when it opened but it never really took off. It's now been turned into an outlet mall and with Walmart moving in there it seems to be doing pretty well now. I never understood why it failed as a regular mall, it's location was pretty good.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:42 PM
gettin' rich!

North York Sheridan Mall.. not exactly a dead mall.

....but...

...you could end up "dead" if you walk through it the wrong way.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
Edmonton:

Northgate Mall (the 2nd floor especially)

Heritage Mall before it was torn down for a high density development.
Don't forget Capilano. Once Walmart moves out that place will completely die (and rightfully so, it is a dump and definitely not needed).

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:02 PM

wal mart is moving out of capilano? where is it going?

yeah that mall is pretty sad - barely been to it

i can't think of any real dead malls in vancouver - surrey central was quite dead but after T&T and SFU moved in its picked upa lot - i believe winners is going in now and future shop is in there - its really busy now a few spots to be filled up however

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:05 PM

Walmart is not moving out of Capilano,they bought that mall and are looking to expand their store there. Remember the city would not approve large box retail in the area when Walmart was eyeing a different location in the area.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:18 PM

lol the mall at Jane and Finch is much more lively then the London mall.

well the only malls here that are suffering are malls that are actually strip malls but are indoors.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:20 PM

In Winnipeg, CityPlace downtown and probably Garden City are the most dead. I haven't been to Garden City in years though.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Westbrook is far from dead. A lot of money has been put into renovations over the last few years. Safeway could use an upgrade on the outside though; the inside was done last year. The Food Court was expanded and Sport Chek moved in from 37th St/Richmond Rd last year. Wal-Mart did their expansion a couple of years back. Yeah there are a couple of empty stores, but those are filled in time. The parking lot though is still a clusterfuck though. They reconfigured the roadways and parking with new curb and gutter last year, but never repaved it.

As for TOD, a couple of residential towers would help to get more activity there. Even before the WLRT comes, it is already well-served by transit.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:26 PM

The mall in Downtown Hamilton is pretty dead... beside the (place formerly known as the) Eaton Center, the new one. I went there a few months ago, and there were like 3 open shops in a totally empty mall.

Aside from that for the literally 'dead', I used to go to Thornhill Square a lot, just north of Toronto. The mall was so dead, that they demolished most of it, but not before they....

FILMED DAWN OF THE DEAD THERE!

If zombies don't signify dead mall I don't know what does.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:36 PM

well ever since the massive power centres were built in the Toronto area, the major malls have actually become more busier.

For example in Brampton there is the Bramalea city centre which is the 10th largest mall in Canada. After a massive power centre opened about 5 mins away the mall feel into decline. However they poured in some money and really the mall is busier then the power centre and thats shocking considering the power centre has a massive theater.

The malls that are suffering aren't really what i would call a mall.
One malls has been demolished here though.
One was the Weston/Finch Mall and for a good reason as well. Mostly likely to become housing or midrise.

I think dead malls don't show an area is dead economically really, because there are other malls right near those malls that are thriving.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:39 PM
Mooderator

Oh man.. Decarie Square.. that place truly depressing. Posting pictures would be cruel.

nothing beats the mall from my hometown, though...

black electrician's tape lettering - that's class.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:49 PM

oh henderson centre in coquitlam which is across from coq centre is dead - it never took off and there is only a handful of stores - it does have an asian grocery store which is fairly busy - but T&T is across the street in coq centre which is always busier

oh and how could i forget International Village - it once boasted some high end shops even BCBG had a store, a big benetton sport store and some others than they all pulled ou slowly and now it just dire - only the theatre is good and even now that paramount is downtown its worse but it gets the indie fare which helps the food court was once quite busy but now is nothing much

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:21 AM

The second floor of Station Square at Metrotown, Burnaby seems quite dead too, especially when compared to the Metropolis and Crystal Mall beside it. The last time I went there, there's only like 2 stores beside the theater in the 2nd floor, and none of them open for business... However, the Save-On-Food/FutureShop section of the mall seems busy...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada