HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
(2) is the existing building at 285 Loretta Ave. S.
(10) is http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238934
(17) is the set of existing buildings surrounded by Gladstone/Rochester/Balsam/Preston

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheCore View Post
(2) is the existing building at 285 Loretta Ave. S.
(10) is http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238934
(17) is the set of existing buildings surrounded by Gladstone/Rochester/Balsam/Preston
Of course! 2 and 17 should have registered in my head. 10 slipped my mind.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 1:50 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

I guess I should have included the building key with the map in my original post. It's from the Planning Rationale, which I guess not everybody reads I've added it now.

I'm also wondering about #2. While it is located on the map at 285 Loretta, they may actually have meant it to be the adjacent lot at 90 Champagne, which was recently severed from 285 Loretta. It's this proposal:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=238950

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for responding J.OT!

5. I actually mistook Envie for something else unfamiliar. My bad.
8. I had heard of Soho Italia a while back, but didn't know anything was on the table?
14. Forgot about the former NRCan redevelopment, thanks for this!
15. Also forgot about this one!

And I was about to post a response to you wondering about 2, 10 and 17, but notice that others have since replied.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 3:45 PM

Thanks for all the info rocketphish! I had no idea how much density was planned for Little Italy until you posted that development overview map (the building key helps too!)

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:06 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
Thanks for all the info rocketphish! I had no idea how much density was planned for Little Italy until you posted that development overview map (the building key helps too!)
Between the density planned for Little Italy, LeBreton Flats, Bayview, and Tunney's Pasture, Ottawa's going to have a 'T' shaped skyline in the coming decades.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:24 PM

Finally this large swath of vacant land is set for development. This is long overdue as it has been a surface parking lot for many years. Let's hope they can get this going asap!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:53 PM

The developer has put up a very comprehensive document for the Urban Design Review Panel on the Dev Apps website. It features some great new looking renders, perspectives, and really shows how this development will fit in with the surrounding neighbourhood. This to me will be a very exciting development to watch!

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-19-0135.PDF

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 4:59 PM

Side comment:

While the proposed buildings aren't necessarily architectural masterpieces, they do seem pretty nice by Ottawa standards. I couldn't help but notice that this site is directly across the street from Roderick Lahey's offices. In a perfect world, one could imagine that watching this go up across the street might inspire them to try a little harder with their designs?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Side comment:

While the proposed buildings aren't necessarily architectural masterpieces, they do seem pretty nice by Ottawa standards. I couldn't help but notice that this site is directly across the street from Roderick Lahey's offices. In a perfect world, one could imagine that watching this go up across the street might inspire them to try a little harder with their designs?
It's actually Hobin, and the document even shows several pictures of the development at Richmond & Roosevelt in Westboro as examples. Expect it will be similar to that one.

Hobin's offices are also only a couple of blocks away though...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
It's actually Hobin, and the document even shows several pictures of the development at Richmond & Roosevelt in Westboro as examples. Expect it will be similar to that one.

Hobin's offices are also only a couple of blocks away though...
I'll take Hobin over RLA every single day. This document was very well put together. I like the project. It's doesn't ooh and ahh me but it's decent.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'll take Hobin over RLA every single day. This document was very well put together. I like the project. It's doesn't ooh and ahh me but it's decent.
I agree, I find Hobin regularly does some pretty good work that is more thoughtfully designed and interesting than RLA. They seem to include more urban concepts in their work and I look forward to seeing what they produce. They do use a lot of the same materials in their commercial construction, red brick and glass, but it's still pretty good. I can't find it, but they had an interesting proposal near Westboro Station for the site with the gymnastics centre and curling club on Scott Street.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 6:47 PM

I agree, this is a great project. Nothing earth shattering, but it seems to be of high quality. Lots of thought was put into the street level and urban interactions. The step down from Rochester to the traditional main street of Preston is very much appreciated. Last but not least, an effort to meet the areas retail needs, i.e. a grocery store and pharmacy.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:53 PM

I'm with the rest of you. Barry's work isn't world beating, but he has always done quality work. Again, this is another decent proposal that will definitely help continue to build up this area of town.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:04 PM

Approved!

Quote:
Kate Porter
@KatePorterCBC

A development in Little Italy on a parking lot on Rochester is also approved by #ottcity planning committee.

It foresees 550 units and "space intentionally designed for a grocery store". In a report, Coun. McKenney said it would animate a vacate block.

#ottnews
9:59 AM · Jul 9, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...26525862494208

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 9:20 PM

Grocery-anchored complex receives easy planning OK, church project draws community ire

Jon Willing, Postmedia
July 9, 2020

OTTAWA - July 9, 2020 - Planning committee on Thursday, July 9, 2020 approved a proposal by Arnon Corp. to build a mixed-use high-rise complex on a surface parking lot bounded by Preston Street, Aberdeen Street, Rochester Street and Beech Street. The complex is designed by Hobin Architecture

The lower half of Little Italy is one step closer to seeing a new mixed-use high-rise complex anchored by a grocery store.

Usually a big infill complex proposed by a developer has at least a couple of residents lined up with concerns, but not a single person signed up to address the planning committee Thursday about Arnon Corp.’s plans to build a large surface parking lot off Little Italy’s commercial main street.

The ward councillor, Catherine McKenney, also registered support for the development sandwiched between Preston and Rochester streets, save for some of their concerns about the high amount of parking (598 spaces, almost all underground) being planned for a site that’s not far from public transit.

The city’s nearby Trillium Line has a station at Carling Avenue and another one is under construction at Gladstone Avenue.

Still, it was an easy rubber stamp by the committee.

Arnon’s development, located on the properties that make up 450 Rochester St. and 367, 369 and 371 Preston St., would have heights between three and 26 storeys. About 550 residential units would be in the complex and there would be “privately owned public spaces” at the corners of Preston and Beech streets and Rochester and Beech streets.

A full-size grocery store along Beech Street is intended for the first floor, but there has been no official word on the identity of the grocer. A liquor store is also included in the ground-floor plan filed with the development application.

The Preston-Carling district secondary plan encourages the establishment of a grocery store in the area, since the community has been considered a food “desert” with no large food store in close proximity.

Arnon is planning the development in two phases, with buildings of up to nine and 15 storeys in the first phase. The first phase includes the grocery store. The tallest building, the 26-storey high rise, is eyed for the Rochester Street side of the property.

Council will vote on the required rezoning and official plan amendments on Wednesday.

- SNIP -

https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...5-76d87984de12

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 5:25 PM

Looks like the grocery store will likely be a Farm Boy. See last three paragraphs.

Don't get me wrong, Farm Boy is great, but there's a lot that they don't carry like toiletries, over the counter meds, baby supplies, soft drinks... There are no pharmacies in the area to bridge that gap, unlike Centretown. Sure a pharmacy could be included in future phases of this project or any of the others proposed in the area, but that's years down the line.

Quote:
May 7, 2020

Capital Current: Little Italy’s food desert may soon end with grocery store in new development

By Ciara Hain

A long-awaited supermarket is expected to anchor a major new housing and retail development in Ottawa’s Little Italy neighbourhood.

The new development will see the end of what Somerset Ward Coun. Catherine McKenney calls a food desert. The supermarket is to be part of a development of a parking lot at 450 Rochester St.

The lack of a major grocery “is not due to any city regulations, but apparently the market conditions have not indicated that a grocery store would be financially viable in this area,” McKenney said in an email exchange.

McKenney has been an advocate for a full-sized grocery store in Little Italy for years.

“Functional and efficient urban neighbourhoods should provide the majority of residents’ daily needs within a convenient walking distance,” McKenney said.

The development by local corporation, Arnon, is expected to include more than 500 housing units along with the store. Phase one will include a building from 6-15 storeys which will contain 295 rental apartments as well as 346 underground parking spots. The 25,000-square-foot grocery store is in this phase.

The development manager for the Arnon Corp. project is Peter Hume. He said he agreed with McKenney, there has been a long term need for a supermarket and that the location close to the LRT is ideal.

“It has been a long term community desire to have a food store in proximity to the neighbourhood,” Hume said.

The local perspective

The long term appetite for an accessible grocery store has been felt by both residents and small business owners alike. Local restaurant owner Joe Cotroneo said he believes this construction will benefit the community, as long as it doesn’t mess with the streetscape on Preston Street.

“What they do on the perimeter doesn’t bother us, as long as it looks nice,” Cotroneo said.

He believes maintaining Preston is a key value for business owners.

“If you just start building 10-storey buildings down this street, six o’clock will become a dead zone after everyone goes home from work,” Cotroneo said.

With many residents not owning cars, it is impossible to buy groceries after 6 p.m. in Little Italy.

Locals Andrea Turnbull, Justin Black and Donald Burns answer the question “do you think there is need for a grocery store in Little Italy?”

Cotroneo sees a large grocery outlet as an opportunity to bring more customers through their doors as well as making Little Italy a more desirable place to live.

Cotroneo sees the upcoming retail outlets as a beginning for Little Italy, as more competitors will become interested.

The Preston Street Business Improvement Association has felt the demand for more retail outlets for years. Executive Director Lori Mellor said she receives a call once a week from residents, asking when they’ll be getting a grocery store.

“It creates a community hub with these three necessary retailers because if you live in this neighbourhood you’re likely going to make that your grocery store, liquor store, drug store. They’re going to bring people here,” Mellor said.

Mellor sees the project as a necessity to gain a good balance of services and retail in the neighbourhood.

“It’s very desirable to have that mix of services,” she said.

The Arnon development will eliminate 335 parking spots used by customers and workers every day. To compensate, the local BIA negotiated a replacement of 180 public parking spots with the city.

While no retailer has been confirmed to fill the grocery outlet hole in Little Italy’s heart, Hume suggested there may be a local favourite.

“Nothing is confirmed, we’re discussing with a local retailer who came out of Cornwall and has been a staple in the Ottawa area,” Hume said.

Locals can expect the construction to begin in the Spring of 2021, with an estimated finish date of 2023, Hume said.
https://www.catherinemckenney.ca/new...ew-development

Old Posted Jul 10, 2020, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Looks like the grocery store will likely be a Farm Boy. See last three paragraphs.

Don't get me wrong, Farm Boy is great, but there's a lot that they don't carry like toiletries, over the counter meds, baby supplies, soft drinks... There are no pharmacies in the area to bridge that gap, unlike Centretown. Sure a pharmacy could be included in future phases of this project or any of the others proposed in the area, but that's years down the line.

https://www.catherinemckenney.ca/new...ew-development
There are two pharmacies in the area, Bell Pharmacy at 737 Gladstone Ave and the Guardian Pharmacy at 225 Preston St.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprcanada View Post
There are two pharmacies in the area, Bell Pharmacy at 737 Gladstone Ave and the Guardian Pharmacy at 225 Preston St.
Alright then, that's not too bad. I'm just so use to Shoppers everywhere else, that I never notices those two in the Little Italy area.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 9:46 PM

Approved by Council! Hoping to see phase 1 break ground soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa