HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:38 AM

The most affluent areas in that photo would be the shorelines of the South End (left side of the water) and Boulderwood (right side, past the stone tower that sticks out). The bottom half of the photo is somewhat "nicer than average" and has great views but is otherwise fairly unremarkable.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 7:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here are some houses along the Northwest Arm in Halifax. If you wanted to tour the city's nicer houses, you'd be best off doing it by boat. There are some nice historical ones like Sandford Fleming's mansion which is on a private street.

These properties seem more and more to be like high-end homes in Vancouver; the builders and the buyers come from all over the place, and the prices are sometimes out of proportion with average properties (average lot will be $200,000-500,000 then a prime lot is $2M). I don't know what the story is behind these twins.

Source

6400 Oakland Road went up for sale for $10M:

Source

Note that these are not like those houses in the lower part of the aerial on the last page. You can buy a small house in that area for under $300,000.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 2:22 AM

I've actually spent a lot of time on the Northwest Arm, on boats, although not so much within the last couple years. The "twin" houses in the first pic there weren't twins a few years ago - I think the one on the right is new or was re-clad recently.

An interesting feature on the Arm is that the old (pre-Confederation) system of dividing properties means a lot of the waterfront properties also include the water itself - this is uncommon in Canada. I think parts of the Arm are still publicly owned (managed by the Port Authority I believe)

It truly is a much better experience exploring that area by boat (along with a few others like Eastern Passage) and the oldest suburbs in that area tended to rely on boats for transportation. It's mostly used by recreational boaters these days since the water tends to stay pretty flat compared to the main Harbour. It's also common to see people fishing there (and downtown) which is a fairly recent phenomenon - the water used to be too polluted for that to be viable.

There's an interesting (kind of unfortunate IMO) contrast between the posh-but-interesting South End side and the markedly more boring (even from the water) Mainland South side. The Mainland side is more remarkable for its forested hills than for its architecture.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 8:37 AM
ARTchitecture

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 9:46 AM

Telus Sky looks amazing with the LED lighting. Wow! Very futuristic.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 12:41 PM

/\ The last picture is stunning!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:20 AM

Came across this old photo of the Volvo Halifax assembly plant at Pier 9 (Richmond Terminals), with the Mackay Bridge in the background.

The factory originally opened in Dartmouth in 1963 as the first Volvo plant outside Sweden. It moved to Pier 9 (in Halifax) in 1967, where it operated until a more modern facility was opened in the new Bayers Lake Industrial Park in 1987. The plant closed in 1998.

(Source: Volvo Amazon Picture Gallery)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 7:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Prince Street, Halifax. Not the most built up of the "hill" streets but I think it's the most consistent. It runs for 9 blocks from Brunswick down to the water and has only one small parting lot near the top of the hill. It's hard to tell in photos but it's a 42 m climb, so at the top you see the rooftops of 8 storey buildings a few blocks below.

Source

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 5:59 PM

A few photos I've taken in Victoria this month, starting with July 1st which was overcast, but the sun has returned! A mix of old patios, new patios and recent construction.

They really cut back these trees so severely that I think that they'll die, but they keep on coming back.

[IMG]
Friendly Green Monster Tree
by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr√[/IMG]

[IMG]
Harsh Haircut
by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jnMhhJ][/url]
Irish TImes Patios

[IMG]
Yates Street Flowers

[IMG]
Orange Theory Flowers by Community Garden Neighbours

[IMG]
Johnson Street Ruby Patio

[IMG]
Johnson Street - Hey Happy Patio

[IMG]
Irish Times Bastion Square Patio

[IMG]
The Local Patio

[IMG]
Market Square

[IMG]
Hudson Place One Condo

[IMG]
Hudson District

[IMG]
Pandora Jawline

[IMG]
Iron Works Condo

[IMG]
Capital Iron

[IMG]Iron Works store fronts by JohnnyJayEh, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here's a coal stacker-reclaimer being built at the shipyard, which will be barged over for installation in the lower mainland.

[IMG]
Coal Stacker-Reclaimer Near Completion

[IMG]
Coal Stacker-Reclaimer at Point Hope Shipyard

[IMG]
Point Hope Coal Stacker-Reclaimer

And finally will end with an old photo I took back in October:

[IMG]
October 10 Victoria BC

Old Posted Jul 19, 2020, 6:09 PM
Ocean Breeze

Victoria looking very sexy!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 1:59 AM
The New Republic

I wouldn't be surprised to see that whole corridor from Victoria - Nanaimo - Parksville become a population centre (3 million+) before the century is out. It has everything going for it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see that whole corridor from Victoria - Nanaimo - Parksville become a population centre (3 million+) before the century is out. It has everything going for it.
I would be surprised to see it reach those levels - essentially tripling Vancouver Island's current population of ~900,000. Not to mention Victoria CMA has one of the highest median ages in the country and Parksville proper has the highest median age of any community.

I think that due to geographic constraints such as the Malahat, it may be difficult to develop a true integrated corridor on the Island, necessitating some form of transit link. I've travelled down the TransCanada from Port Alberni to Victoria a few times but perhaps an Islander can provide some input here.

Always hard to make a long term prediction and I certainly see the region growing, as it's abundantly wonderful, but I'd probably go with a 1.25-1.75M range before the century is out.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:42 AM

Well 80 years is a long time - but, I think Zeej’s estimate is pretty realistic based on what we know now. Yep, the Malahat is a barrier, combined with farm land, Greater Victoria doesn’t have a ton of room to expand, except in the Western Communities. There will be further densification in the core as well. That said, I can see one day (and it has been seriously studied) a bridge across the Saanich Inlet from Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay which would bypass the Malahat. Cost is estimated around a billion. However, I don’t see rapid growth because of an ‘island mentality’; a bridge to the mainland is not feasible; home prices are expensive; growth has been slow and steady and there is no obvious driver that would fuel above average growth.

That being said, a theoretical steady growth rate of 1% per year over 80 years would put the population of Vancouver Island at 1.92 million. We’d need a growth rate of 1.6% for 80 years to reach 3 million.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:31 AM

Wow! What a great set of Victoria.

The big stand outs are the pedestrian only walkway, that amazing looking pedestrian courtyard, and the rust coloured metal cladding on that new development.

It’s amazing how despite all of Vancouver’s “green” efforts the pedestrian realm in Victoria still beats it, and it also makes it look so natural and not forced at all.

Always strikes me as looking like a city out of Tasmania or New Zealand.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 12:05 PM

Those are some of the most impressive pictures I've ever seen out of Victoria. Some Montreal-level urbanity going on over there, at least in those scenes.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:50 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeej View Post
I would be surprised to see it reach those levels - essentially tripling Vancouver Island's current population of ~900,000. Not to mention Victoria CMA has one of the highest median ages in the country and Parksville proper has the highest median age of any community.

I think that due to geographic constraints such as the Malahat, it may be difficult to develop a true integrated corridor on the Island, necessitating some form of transit link. I've travelled down the TransCanada from Port Alberni to Victoria a few times but perhaps an Islander can provide some input here.
Granted, I'm not that familiar with the terrain. It's a major issue in much of BC; the Okanagan being a good case in point. Continuous development from one end to the other isn't necessary for a population corridor to exist though. I don't think it's preferable either.

You're correct that median age (TFR) is an issue but all Canadian cities will depend on immigration and domestic migration for most of their population growth in the coming decades. I do see this region developing into a major population centre but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Well 80 years is a long time - but, I think Zeej’s estimate is pretty realistic based on what we know now. Yep, the Malahat is a barrier, combined with farm land, Greater Victoria doesn’t have a ton of room to expand, except in the Western Communities. There will be further densification in the core as well. That said, I can see one day (and it has been seriously studied) a bridge across the Saanich Inlet from Brentwood Bay to Mill Bay which would bypass the Malahat. Cost is estimated around a billion. However, I don’t see rapid growth because of an ‘island mentality’; a bridge to the mainland is not feasible; home prices are expensive; growth has been slow and steady and there is no obvious driver that would fuel above average growth.

That being said, a theoretical steady growth rate of 1% per year over 80 years would put the population of Vancouver Island at 1.92 million. We’d need a growth rate of 1.6% for 80 years to reach 3 million.
Yes I was leaning more to the last scenario. Even if Canadian growth stalls this region might continue growing at a good clip over the long term. It's not just Victoria that has widespread appeal. And with more people and 'stuff' being on an island becomes less of an issue.

Last edited by isaidso; Jul 20, 2020 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 8:01 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
These 2 photos stood out for me. It's a step up from what one sees in most Canadian cities.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 8:45 PM
Registered Drug User

Market Square, Stratford. Restaurants around the square are now allowed to serve food and alcohol to the picnic tables.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 8:58 PM

That square renovation from a few years ago makes a huge difference. Crazy to think the whole space was a giant parking lot a few years ago.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2020, 10:32 PM

It looks like one of those new suburban mall developents that's trying to look all old timey

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada