HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 9:10 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Going through all that for something that's best as a mixer seems like a lot of unnecessary fuss.
Hey we all like things different. Taste is your own especially with whisky. I tried with 3 others and they all liked it by itself- I was the oddball that liked it mixed.

Saying it's the best mixer I've ever had after documenting ~100 whiskies is a pretty good statement.

I give it a 3/5 neat, 5/5 mixed so rate it a 4/5 overall

My other whisky ratings if interested. Anything listed as upcoming means I own it but have not opened it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=280207750

I've been amassing a collection quicker than I can drink it. With Covid-19, I just don't drink enough myself and social gatherings are rare. Still cheaper than bars however lol, but I do miss duty free deals.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 11:38 PM

Duplicate

Last edited by savevp; Aug 31, 2020 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 9:00 PM

Follow enough whisky blogs and one will eventually do the review you're looking for.

If anyone's interested, one of the blogs has reviewed what appears to be a brand new Canadian rye. I'd recently been asking around because I spotted it on the SAQ website and couldn't find anything online. Called 'Wild North:'

https://heatseekerwhisky.blogspot.co...ild-north.html

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:14 AM

Massive news for Canadian whisky:

Alberta Premium Cask Strength has just won World Whisky of the Year in Jim Murray's Whisky Bible. I remember the utter chaos when Northern Harvest won back in 2015. I've actually managed to buy what may have been the last three bottles in Ontario today - just have to find out how one goes about reselling them now.

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2...-whisky-bible/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 3:16 PM
User Registered

I've always wanted to try this one but have not had any luck finding it in store or online.

Now that it's world whisky of the year 2020, it will be even harder to find.

Cask strength- 65.1%. If you add water in a 1:1 ratio you'd still have a pretty strong drink. That doubles its volume / value.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 5:11 PM

I put one of my bottles up for sale on Whiskybase and almost immediately got an offer from a Japanese fellow for $400! I'm a bit reticent to become an international whisky trader, as I can just envision LCBO secret agents showing up at my door, but its unbelievable how much this has taken off.

I'm going to try and flip one or two of the bottles within Canada if I can figure out how. (Haljackey, interested at all?) It's so tasty, and feels great to think the world finally noticed what a gem Alberta Distillers are.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:37 PM
User Registered

Sorry but I'm not interested in a reseller's market.

I'll pay $64.95- That's what the LCBO charged for it.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 2:35 PM

Lightbulb

^Sensible. Here's hoping the prices don't go up too much when it finally makes it back to shelves in a reasonable quantity.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 2:20 AM

What a brilliant thread idea, nice one savevp. I managed to get my hands on a bottle of the Alberta Premium Cask Strength down here in Australia, and only for about $150. Quite a bit but considering a bottle of standard Canadian Club is $55, it feels like a steal.

I used to think LCBO prices were bad until I started buying alcohol down here. That isn't to say the LCBO's anything but inherently evil and manifestly unfair, but at least it's not the most expensive place to shop. Small miracles!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 4:18 PM

Anybody else like Caribou Crossing? I know it's not the most high brow stuff....

Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Anybody else like Caribou Crossing? I know it's not the most high brow stuff....
Are you a fan? I'd sort of figured it to be a gimmick for Blanton's bourbon fans. Have been keen to try but at the price point, it remains on the wish list for now

Aside, it looks as though Sazerac Co. could be churning out a bunch of new upmarket whisky from the Montreal distillery. I read somewhere that they were investing into a top-notch visitor's centre there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada