HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 4:28 PM

More thread appropriate but still sad news....

COVID-19 forces closing of Fredericton's only LGBTQ nightclub

Hopefully when proper clubbing is possible again, a new club for LGBTQ can open up.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:01 PM

^ I wouldn't count on it. Gay bars are disappearing fast and furious. Kelowna has twice Fredricton's population and has never had a gay bar. I remember London in the 80s which at the time had 5 bars and is now down to 1.

Younger people in general don't go to bars near as much as when I was a kid and when they do often the gay kids go to mixed bars or even mostly straight ones. Gay bars are just like any other business, they are disappearing because they are unprofitable.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 7:52 PM

The gay bars that do still exist also tend to have older crowds. LGBT Millennials aren't really interested.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 8:33 PM
ARTchitecture

I don’t know if they’re disappearing because they’re unprofitable, it’s just that everything is becoming integrated, and you have to offer something really cool or unique to draw people into your space. Calgary has opened two gay bars in the past year for a total of five. One is a lesbian joint and the other is a fancy underground cocktail and burlesque club with bi-nightly drag shows. It’s nothing like the heyday when the city had 10 or more gay bars and they were all the same except one of them was a full on drugged out twink club (Twisted) and another was a bear/leather bar (The Eagle), but it’s not bad for 2020.

But to the point about integration, there isn’t really a single place I can think of that I wouldn’t kiss/make out, grind on, or otherwise show affection to a guy I was with in this day and age. That is why gay bars existed, and they’re closing because we can live our lives like everyone else in most places in Canada now.

It’s weird how Kelowna never had a gay bar but Lethbridge still does. Both have considerable sized universities so it’s weird. I remember when I lived in Kelowna, they had a bar that did gay night like every Friday or every other Friday, something like that. Is that not a thing anymore?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Last edited by Chadillaccc; Jun 29, 2020 at 8:45 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^ I wouldn't count on it. Gay bars are disappearing fast and furious. Kelowna has twice Fredricton's population and has never had a gay bar. I remember London in the 80s which at the time had 5 bars and is now down to 1.

Younger people in general don't go to bars near as much as when I was a kid and when they do often the gay kids go to mixed bars or even mostly straight ones. Gay bars are just like any other business, they are disappearing because they are unprofitable.
Kelowna just got a new gay bar this summer actually..

https://www.fodlounge.com/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 10:41 PM
ARTchitecture

Lol wow a mod finally did their job on here? Damn all it took was full on hate speech and me threatening to beat the life out of him if he wanted to come down to my address and say that shit

Good thing I screen shotted the exchange. Can I assume the bag of shit has also been banned?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Lol wow a mod finally did their job on here? Damn all it took was full on hate speech and me threatening to beat the life out of him if he wanted to come down to my address and say that shit

Good thing I screen shotted the exchange. Can I assume the bag of shit has also been banned?
Since we lack a thread setting out moderators’ actions, I would not take it for granted.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Kelowna just got a new gay bar this summer actually..

https://www.fodlounge.com/
Didn't know that about Kelowna.

Still, they are just like any other business. Some gay people might lament losing some "safe spaces" but the reality is that the owners, regardless of what they say, are in it for the money.

Last time I went out in Vancouver was January on a Saturday night and when I left the bar {Pump Jack} on Davie at 12:30, I couldn't believe how dead Davie was. Even the bar started emptying out at midnight.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 4:43 PM
A Better Place

I think Edmonton is down to it's last LGBT dance club - Evolution Wonderlounge.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 5:01 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
I think Edmonton is down to it's last LGBT dance club - Evolution Wonderlounge.
Winnipeg is still holding steady at 2- Fame Nightclub and Club 200. It's amazing to think that in the heyday (90s and early 2000s) Winnipeg had 5 gay establishments (bars and lounges) with much less population.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 9:15 PM

I don't really lament the decline of the gay ghettos. I don't find they offer anything particularly interesting and in some ways I think they do more harm than good as they tend to continue the ghetto mentality. As far as providing a "safe space" those days are long since gone.

They served their purpose but they really don't seem to serve one now.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I don't really lament the decline of the gay ghettos. I don't find they offer anything particularly interesting and in some ways I think they do more harm than good as they tend to continue the ghetto mentality. As far as providing a "safe space" those days are long since gone.

They served their purpose but they really don't seem to serve one now.
Many gays over the age of 50 have spent their adult lives in "the ghetto" (figuratively if not literally) and remain less than comfortable in the straight social world. For some over the age of 70, the fear of losing safe space when they move into retirement homes/LTC, etc is very real and is something the community is actively thinking about/acting on.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Many gays over the age of 50 have spent their adult lives in "the ghetto" (figuratively if not literally) and remain less than comfortable in the straight social world. For some over the age of 70, the fear of losing safe space when they move into retirement homes/LTC, etc is very real and is something the community is actively thinking about/acting on.
That sounds right. If a « village » can bring a sense of safety, or inclusiveness, or just an experience of « belonging », I don’t see any arguments against it. I’m not experiencing Montreal village that much now compare to 10 years ago, but I have friends who still fint it « home ». For them, it’s still significant and real.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 3:29 AM

I am on the board of a non profit LGBTQ+ retirement group that has done lots of feasability studies and enegagement on options for aging within the community. As much as society as a whole has opened up to queer issues, there are still barriers. I am in my mid 30s btw, and although I am not directly tethered to the Davie St. village, I would lament the loss of a gay nexus for the City. I think it still holds some importance, as do gaybourhoods in all cities.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 8:41 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Another CBC article on this topic.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/pandemic-los...gbtq-1.5633694

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 6:33 PM

So why are the gay villages dying if they are so essential?

They are dying because people are no longer patronising the businesses and not helped by the fact that they are usually in prime downtown locations suffering from rising property taxes and land speculation. These businesses are NOT in the business because they want to serve the community and be just swell guys regardless of what these gay mouth pieces might espouse for the media. They are in business for one sole purpose..........to make money. If one laments their decline then fine but please don't be under some grand illusion that they are in it for anything but the money.

I only go out about 2 times a year and yes I go to Davie to the Pumpjack or some other place but I am not going to be hypocritical enough to be sad if it dies {except for the people who lose their jobs} because I have no "right" to be saddened when I don't patronise them. These are not essential services for anyone because going to a bar or restaurant is not a requirement of life and anyone who says so needs to get one.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 5:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Organizers of Montreal's gay pride parade (scheduled for this afternoon) cancelled it this morning, three hours before it was to get underway.

They cited a lack of volunteers to take care of security.

They had 12,000 participants lined up and expected over 100,000 spectators.

The backstory is that earlier this week they a meeting with the city police who were scheduled to take part, providing security of course but also some uniformed officers were going to march in the parade.

But the organizers told the cops they were no longer welcome and that they wanted them nowhere near the parade.

So the organizers were hoping to compensate for the absence of the cops by lining up many volunteers to ensure the safety of the event and the crowd - which is huge of course.

But they came up well short.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:03 PM

But I thought Montreal was supposed be “fun city”?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
But I thought Montreal was supposed be “fun city”?
It still is. This isn't really related to the city being fun or not. I am sure the people in town for the Pride weekend had lots of fun last night. I am sure they think that it sucks that the parade was cancelled, but at least they'll be able to get more sleep to recover from last night.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2022, 6:47 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

News flash: at least two impromptu Pride parades are currently taking place in downtown Montréal. Including some with floats, DJs, etc.

Cops closing streets and doing crowd control for them.

Fun city prevails, I guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada