HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 2:07 PM

^ It's a plant, why couldn't it be cut the same way as any other?

I suspect that a lot of zero-parking proposals will be catering to people who intend to work or study close to their residence, i.e. within walking or cycling distance. I doubt that a large proportion of those intending to move into these places are planning to take lengthy transit rides each day. When I lived on Jasper Ave in Oliver I walked to work at the eastern end of downtown... only on the most miserable days did I take the bus since transit along that stretch was barely faster than walking anyway. So even if there is a pivot to cars on a broader scale, I don't think it will eliminate demand for zero-parking developments altogether.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 3:52 PM
Community Guy

It absolutely won't.

What it will do is provide options and flexibility.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 29, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Add to that many people will leave cramped downtown condos when you can only have two people in an elevator etc. Seems foolish to eliminate parking minimums when we are seemingly on the cusp of a car buying bounce.

...COVID-19 did have adverse effects on the city as well. A major casualty was the public transport system, which recorded a fast decline in ridership as well as frequency. The city reports that it is losing $10 million a month because of this and at one point consideredshutting down public transport in summer.

Public transport’s loss may just be car ridership’s gain. Cues can be drawn from the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicentre of the COVID-19 pandemic, where private car sales shot up as lockdown measures eased in April. A large part of this is attributed to people feeling safer in private cars than in shared public transportation during a pandemic....

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion/...urban-planning

Having lived in areas that have seen adjacent multifamily development it is absolutely clear that cars from those new multifamily building spill onto the adjacent residential streets, even with parking minimums. People are to cheap to buy more than one spot because they can use the street for free.
Interesting stuff. I’m in the process of driving across Canada right now (I’m posting from the middle of nowhere 4 hours northwest of Sault Ste. Marie, heading to Vancouver for work) and I feel perfectly safe driving - only people I have to deal with are drive-thru employees and we both wear masks. I’d be hesitant to fly right now, though if everyone wears masks it may not be so bad.

Bonus, Ontario provincial parks are open for camping and there’s no problem distancing there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada