HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 7:02 PM

Last edited by lextown; Jan 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 9:04 PM

As of 1/24/2017, Philadelphia is at 26, up from 17 this time last year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 9:58 PM

Chicago officials answer weird Trump tweet/threat to "send in the Feds" to quell extreme violence

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...125-story.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
As of 1/24/2017, Philadelphia is at 26, up from 17 this time last year.
Rough year for Philadelphia so far. Hopefully this will calm down. Looks like we were at 24 homicides this time in 2014 which ended with 248 homicides.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:30 AM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Rough year for Philadelphia so far. Hopefully this will calm down. Looks like we were at 24 homicides this time in 2014 which ended with 248 homicides.
I blame the mild winter here.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 3:02 AM

Read back through some comments a few weeks ago, forgot about the conversation.

Comparing neighborhood-level areas with whole cities/countries is a biased method. Anyone who does that must have an agenda. If the equivalent data isn't available for the place you're comparing with, why compare it when overall the other (much larger) place has the higher murder rate by a mile in the first instance? Why would you do that? It doesn't add up. e.g. Chicago changed to West Garfield Park vs. Honduras? What? As if the murder rate is evenly spread across the Central American nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those Chicago murder rates look oddly high. I know for a ward area or something the record was around 90 per 100,000 in 1992. The admin. tier areas that have populations of around 50k? Yes? In the police reports? Yet a safer year like 2016 it's suddenly gone up to nearly 100 per 100,000 in areas as large as 600k residents? Something doesn't smell right.

Chiraq??? Some people need to get out more I think. I've never seen a city that counts every single person hit by gunfire regardless of how serious the wound is.

Gary has never been murder capital of the world, not sure where that has come from either.

Chicago is rated as a low risk city by International SOS. They have a world crime map. This stuff needs to be taken into consideration.

I've acknowledged the massive uptick in violence, what we don't need is biased comparisons comparing neighborhoods (again, why?) with whole cities/countries or Iraq. I don't find the violence in Iraq something to joke about personally. No surprise it's ranked as extreme risk by ISOS, three whole levels above Chicago.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 11:41 PM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 1:04 AM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:57 AM
Posh

A bit off-topic, but it's crime related. And it made my day!

A guy on a Kansas City bus begins to attack the bus driver. An elderly guy on the bus with a cane goes up behind the attacker and starts beating him with his cane. The driver gets away and the attacker is now cowering beneath the guy's cane beatings. All caught on video:
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...129482969.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 4:14 AM

Vancouver has one murder after a shooting in the Downtown Eastside:

Police identify victim of Vancouver's first homicide of the year

Also, it sounds like Quebec City has five murders so far this year, a significant increase from recent years.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:04 PM

Québec City at 6 for 2017.

Mass shooting with 6 dead (as of the morning of Jan. 30, 2017) and 5 seriously wounded.

I guess that puts Québec City at the top of the Canadian list, for the moment, anyway.

This puts it on a par with the mass shooting on Jan. 6 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The shooting at the airport.

For a comparison, 2016 was 1, 2015 was 2, 2014 was 4 and 2013 was 3. 2011 was 2 and 2012 was 6.

Currently this is the deadliest mass shooting in North America of 2017 but, sadly, I am sure that someone in the USA will outdo this is the next month or two. I hope that I am wrong, but past performance is often a predictor of future performance.

Last edited by Oliver May; Jan 31, 2017 at 2:44 AM. Reason: missing the word "wounded"

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:07 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post

Mass shooting with 6 dead (as of the morning of Jan. 30, 2017) and 5 seriously wounded.

I guess that puts Québec City at the top of the Canadian list, for the moment, anyway.

This puts it on a par with the mass shooting on Jan. 6 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The shooting at the airport.

For a comparison, 2016 was 1, 2015 was 2, 2014 was 4 and 2013 was 3. 2011 was 2 and 2012 was 6.

Currently this is the deadliest mass shooting in North America of 2017 but, sadly, I am sure that someone in the USA will outdo this is the next month or two. I hope that I am wrong, but past performance is often a predictor of future performance.

well then you are likely wrong -- pretty sure someone or some drug cartel group will outdo the usa in mexico. if the past is a predictor.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day4Robbiee View Post
Detroit always seems to make the top of these lists every year. Does anyone know how long they've been up there for murder rates in the past 30 or so years?
Detroit's crime rate has consistently been on a steady decline, there were more homicides last year but shootings and violent crime were down.

St. Louis and New Orleans have been mostly topping the list for the past 30 years.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 6:52 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Toronto is at 5 after two separate shooting deaths yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 9:17 PM

SF is at 6 after fatal shootings in the excelsior and bayview districts killed two men. Also, an old man who was severely beaten by a group of people in the Tenderloin at the beginning of the month died from his injuries.

Oakland and San Jose are both still at 2.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmotorfinger View Post
Read back through some comments a few weeks ago, forgot about the conversation.

Comparing neighborhood-level areas with whole cities/countries is a biased method. Anyone who does that must have an agenda. If the equivalent data isn't available for the place you're comparing with, why compare it when overall the other (much larger) place has the higher murder rate by a mile in the first instance? Why would you do that? It doesn't add up. e.g. Chicago changed to West Garfield Park vs. Honduras? What? As if the murder rate is evenly spread across the Central American nation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those Chicago murder rates look oddly high. I know for a ward area or something the record was around 90 per 100,000 in 1992. The admin. tier areas that have populations of around 50k? Yes? In the police reports? Yet a safer year like 2016 it's suddenly gone up to nearly 100 per 100,000 in areas as large as 600k residents? Something doesn't smell right.

Chiraq??? Some people need to get out more I think. I've never seen a city that counts every single person hit by gunfire regardless of how serious the wound is.

Gary has never been murder capital of the world, not sure where that has come from either.

Chicago is rated as a low risk city by International SOS. They have a world crime map. This stuff needs to be taken into consideration.

I've acknowledged the massive uptick in violence, what we don't need is biased comparisons comparing neighborhoods (again, why?) with whole cities/countries or Iraq. I don't find the violence in Iraq something to joke about personally. No surprise it's ranked as extreme risk by ISOS, three whole levels above Chicago.
I strongly recommend you to go for a one week in some "Chiraq" hostel so you can experience the magnitude of the violence by yourself. And yes, you can compare various neighborhoods to cities if the neighborhoods generate a concluded area with the similar population. If the circumstances would be differenct that area could be a suburban city in the Chicago metropolitan area. Just like Gary, Camden, Compton, East St. Louis, Newark etc., which generate or generated higher murder rates than Chicago did last year. If those cities would be included in their metropolitan capitals they wouldn't be even mentioned in the statistics.

Agenda of the comparison is that it is not correct when someone compares Chicago's murder rate with the murder rate of St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit or New Orleans when all cities have 4-8 times smaller populations, which means that they can generate higher murder rates with lower number of murders. And based on that you can not say that above mentioned cities have more serious safety problems than Chicago does.

Yes, it is true that Chicago last year generated the most dangerous neighborhoods that ever existed in that city. West & East Garfield Park, Austin, North Lawndale, New City, Fuller Park, Washington Park, Greater Grand Crossing, Englewood and West Englewood set the highest murder rates in their recorded history. That's a fact and it is possible because Chicago murders are much more segregated nowadays than they were in the 90s. Last year Chicago set a record in the number of black persons killed with 624 (previous record was 483 in 1992). In fact there were only two times in the recorded history of US murders that there existed areas of similar population with the higher murder rate (South Bronx + Harlem, New York City in 1990 and teritorry of Southeast + 77th police districts, Los Angeles in 1992).

I agree with you that West Garfield vs. Honduras comparison is ridicolous and articles like that are written by some super smart journalists who don't have a clue about criminology dynamics.

Yes, various cities do count the number of persons striken by gunfire. Jeff Asher does it for New Orleans, STLPD does it for St. Louis (they mark it as an aggravated assault with a firearm) and so on. Chicago is not an exception here.

And for the last, Chiraq name is not made up by me, but it was made up by residents of those west and south side nighborhoods. It is a product of the street culture and because of that it is the most suitable name for that teritorry. With using that name I don't want to make a statement that those neighborhoods are dangerous as some parts of Iraq. Maybe they are, maybe they are not, I don't know because middle east is not part of my research focus.

All of above mentioned statements can be checked, so before you reply with another false information, do a research yourself and you'll find out that they are actually correct. I am not answering anymore on this topic.

Last edited by Laborant; Jan 31, 2017 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver May View Post

Just a few seconds searching Google News turned up this massacre of six merchants at a market this year in Acapulco by masked gunmen. There is no way of knowing how many other mass murders there have been as most are not reported in the news and government crime figures are farcical.

https://actualidad.rt.com/actualidad...rcado-acapulco

Later report says at least ten dead vendors. (Text says at least ten, headline says six.)

http://www.proceso.com.mx/468638/gru...s-comerciantes

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
well then you are likely wrong -- pretty sure someone or some drug cartel group will outdo the usa in mexico. if the past is a predictor.
I was thinking of just Canada and the USA, obviously.

You could be right. I should have said Mexico or the USA. Though, even the mass shooting in Mexico at the nightclub on Jan. 16 only killed 5, like the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting.

Most mass killing in Mexico is not by mass shooting, though. The cartels have a different preferred method of murder.

Here is a link in English for the Acapulco shooting. Cannot find any news story in English that lists more than 6 dead, though.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/mexico-...ting-1.3922031

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/gunmen-s...ulco-1.3227894

I assume any mass shooting with more than 6 dead will be covered in N. America.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 4:26 PM

Chicago at 51, which is 1 ahead of 2016 pace.. nearly 300 shot in Jan

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...201-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions