HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
From what I’ve been told they already opened a new spot in the village.

https://twitter.com/buvettewpg?s=21&...GUzEX2rR0AAiGA
I'm pretty sure Buvette is a project of one the kids of the Little Goat folks. But it looks like a pretty similar concept -- brunch/breakfast/soups/sandwiches/baked goods etc. on a much smaller scale (14 seats): https://www.instagram.com/buvette.inthevillage/

Old Posted Apr 7, 2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
The Little Goat restaurant on Portage Avenue announced that they are permanently closing. They are citing the effects of the pandemic as the reason why.
How sad. I live a half a block away from there. It doesn't make sense as the place always looked busy, even when there was no dine-in (takeout and Skip).

So yet another failure in that building, even though Little Goat did give it a good run of 4 years there...longer than previous incarnations. Time to just knock the building down and it needs a lot of work.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:25 PM

The new DQ at Pembina Crossing (in the parking lot of the big box stores including Staples, Shapes, Best Buy etc) has its signage up. Cant remember what the other units are going to be but I think i recall one of you all posting about it previously.

A small thing, but nice to have a DQ closer and in that area since the long-standing one at Bison/Pembina was torn down for the The Arc.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbagel View Post
I'm pretty sure Buvette is a project of one the kids of the Little Goat folks. But it looks like a pretty similar concept -- brunch/breakfast/soups/sandwiches/baked goods etc. on a much smaller scale (14 seats): https://www.instagram.com/buvette.inthevillage/
We got some takeout brunch from there this weekend and it was excellent. Tiny little place - maybe 15 people in there tops. Very good food though. A big upgrade (in my view) from the protein donut place.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Has anyone tried the new taco place on Ness ave? I think its called la taqueria or something like that? Will hopefully be stopping by some time soon.
It's close to me, so yea. Husband/wife team, guy is from here I believe, the wife is... El Salvadorian? He does the business, she does the food, sort of thing, from what I gather. Was decent, I encourage people to try.

My favourites have been BMC and Sargent Taco, if that says anything.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 2:48 PM

Interesting, a Starbucks is opening at the corner of Corydon and Stafford:

https://twitter.com/AndreaRobin1/sta...14326745075713

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 2:59 PM

I think it was mentioned here before? That location has a grandfathered drive thru.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That location has a grandfathered drive thru.
As the Harverys/whatever that was in that location taught us, drive thrus are only grandfathered when in continuous operation. As the place went vacant and is now a new operation, it will require a new drive thru application and approval.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:13 PM

I would love little more than to see that lot turned into a low- or mid-rise apartment with some shops at street level - maybe even a coffee shop!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
I would love little more than to see that lot turned into a low- or mid-rise apartment with some shops at street level - maybe even a coffee shop!
Gonna be waiting a long time for that one methinks, unfortunately. Would also like to see same.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:52 PM

Looks as though Hermanos is set to make a comeback to the Exchange after some upgrades. Re-opening May 2022.

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/two-year...back-1.5857959

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 3:55 PM

Anything but a drive-thru for a Starbucks because traffic will be unbearable (if it isn’t already). At least from what I’ve seen Starbucks drive thru’s might be the busiest in the city. I’ve regularly seen 10+ cars and wait times more then 30 minutes just to get their latte lol.

Although I’m sure the local residents must be over the moon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2022, 4:26 PM
What could go wrong?

RE Hermanos - that is great news. It was one of our favorite restaurants...loved the Exchange location too. Can't wait till May.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Apr 13, 2022, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfq View Post
It's close to me, so yea. Husband/wife team, guy is from here I believe, the wife is... El Salvadorian? He does the business, she does the food, sort of thing, from what I gather. Was decent, I encourage people to try.
Cool, still havent tried it out yet. Hopefully this week.

Quote:
My favourites have been BMC and Sargent Taco, if that says anything.
Same. I like BMC a bit better because they serve "horchata", sweet rice water. But yeah they're both pretty good i agree..

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 4:21 PM

I can't remember if this was posted here yet, but Little Pizza Heaven is setting up a new location in the ground floor CRU of the ARC building at Pembina/Bison. Perfect location IMO.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I can't remember if this was posted here yet, but Little Pizza Heaven is setting up a new location in the ground floor CRU of the ARC building at Pembina/Bison. Perfect location IMO.
I heard about that earlier but wasn’t sure it was true. Imo it’ll be a game changer for me cause it’ll be the closest pizza joint to my house so I’m looking forward to it especially since it’s on my way to Uni.

That Bison/Pembina intersection is slowly reaching a critical mass in terms of density too so hopefully this will also recreate some of that foot traffic that the previous DQ brought to the area.

Speaking of DQ their new location on Pembina crossing should be opening soon.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 7:32 PM

Looks like Thom Bargen is taking over the old Perths locations at 745 Corydon in the summer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccn5JtyJd2n/

On their Instagram they talk about a "bottle shop" which I'm not sure about. I know in other cities, when liquor laws were relaxed, restaurants opened 'bottle shops' to generate some revenue during the pandemic. Not sure what it will be in the context of a coffee shop and roaster.

This is a good location for them though. Its very close to Make which I've always liked, but they coexisted with Starbucks for a long time so hopefully both can do well there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Looks like Thom Bargen is taking over the old Perths locations at 745 Corydon in the summer

This is a good location for them though. Its very close to Make which I've always liked, but they coexisted with Starbucks for a long time so hopefully both can do well there.
I can imagine that Make and Starbucks have different customers... Make and Thom Bargen though feel like they'll be much more directly competing.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:08 PM

The old Applebees at Pembina and Chancellor that was for lease for ages appears to be showing signs of action. Lease sign down and a contractor sign is up with some work going on. Anyone know whats happening there?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
The old Applebees at Pembina and Chancellor that was for lease for ages appears to be showing signs of action. Lease sign down and a contractor sign is up with some work going on. Anyone know whats happening there?
Note sure, but the lease sign has been down for months. I believe they started some work a few months ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan