HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 3:07 PM

1200 Maritime Way | 88+94m | 28+30f | Proposed

Proposed Development at 1200 Maritime Way
BY JENNA SUDDS POSTED ON FEBRUARY 26, 2021

The city has received Zoning By-law Amendment and Site Plan Control applications to develop two multi-unit residential buildings. One building is proposed to be 28-storeys and the other 30-storeys with a total of 632 units. The buildings are to be connected by underground parking with 662 vehicle spaces and 301 bicycle stalls. Between the buildings on the ground-level are 30 visitor car parking spaces, and an additional 15 bicycle stalls (for a total of 316).

A Zoning By-law Amendment is required to increase the height across the site to 97 metres.

I will be hosting a virtual community consultation on March 9 at 6:30 PM to discuss this application and I encourage you all to join me. The applicant will present their proposed plans and be available to answer questions. The City Planner assigned to the application will also be available. Feedback on the application can be sent to Laurel McCreight via email at Laurel.McCreight@ottawa.ca.

DevApps.

https://kanatanorth.ca/2021/02/26/pr...-maritime-way/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:24 PM

Kanata NIMBYs not going to like that density, I can tell you that. Just think of all the children who will be killed or maimed by that Transit Oriented Development and shadows.

It's weird though that the rationale for this sort of density is TOD and yet they have more parking spaces than there are units plus an extra 30 for visitor parking. Hard to see how giving everyone and their dog a parking space is supposed to encourage transit usage.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwordisnt123 View Post
Kanata NIMBYs not going to like that density, I can tell you that. Just think of all the children who will be killed or maimed by that Transit Oriented Development and shadows.

It's weird though that the rationale for this sort of density is TOD and yet they have more parking spaces than there are units plus an extra 30 for visitor parking. Hard to see how giving everyone and their dog a parking space is supposed to encourage transit usage.
With all these recent towers and new proposals, is there any commercial space? One proposes some, but I'm not sure it's enough for a grocery store or pharmacy. Without those two basic amenities, it's guaranteed that residents along Maritime will drive for anything other than commuting, if they work along the Confed Line.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:37 PM
National Capital Region

Developer is Claridge Homes, building designed by NEUF Architects (formerly DCYSA)

some history on this property
http://ottwatch.ca/meetings/file/626903

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Developer is Claridge Homes, building designed by NEUF Architects (formerly DCYSA)

some history on this property
http://ottwatch.ca/meetings/file/626903
This looks bad, even for Claridge. I thought it might be the same crappy developer that's proposing the modern day commie blocks on Robinson.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This looks bad, even for Claridge. I thought it might be the same crappy developer that's proposing the modern day commie blocks on Robinson.
I'm over in Kanata and I quite like this proposal and the architecture. I'm definitely going to support this style of TOD, I know a lot of friends (including myself) that these projects would help out.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:12 PM

Not a fan of how this turns its back on Kanata Avenue which runs directly behind the south building. That building needs to have a main lobby entrance directly from the street.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 6:15 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Developer is Claridge Homes

imgur

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
With all these recent towers and new proposals, is there any commercial space? One proposes some, but I'm not sure it's enough for a grocery store or pharmacy. Without those two basic amenities, it's guaranteed that residents along Maritime will drive for anything other than commuting, if they work along the Confed Line.
I'm not sure it is too big of an issue. Centrum is nearby with Loblaws, Shopper's Drugmart and Walmart within 20 minutes walk. Plus across the pedestrian bridge there's a Food Basics within 12 minutes if google maps is correct. While it would be nice to have more variable space, none of the nearby apartments have anything more then coffee shops.

The amount of parking is disappointing, but if it is oriented to people working in Kanata the bus service just isn't there if you aren't working downtown.

Based on the landscaping plan I might suggest a change to allow possible future integration with a MUP along any future LRT, since some of the utility paths have been converted to that along other portions. That would allow a more car free connection to the Centrum.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramata View Post
I'm not sure it is too big of an issue. Centrum is nearby with Loblaws, Shopper's Drugmart and Walmart within 20 minutes walk. Plus across the pedestrian bridge there's a Food Basics within 12 minutes if google maps is correct. While it would be nice to have more variable space, none of the nearby apartments have anything more then coffee shops.

The amount of parking is disappointing, but if it is oriented to people working in Kanata the bus service just isn't there if you aren't working downtown.

Based on the landscaping plan I might suggest a change to allow possible future integration with a MUP along any future LRT, since some of the utility paths have been converted to that along other portions. That would allow a more car free connection to the Centrum.
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Thank you very much!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:19 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Siteplan:

Renderings:

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 2:39 PM

These are rental right? Is there THAT much demand for shoebox rental units out in Kanata?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
These are rental right? Is there THAT much demand for shoebox rental units out in Kanata?
Absolutely, the demand for rental in Kanata (especially Kanata North) is insanely high. I know a lot of contractors in the tech center that would love to live in Kanata North, but simply can't find any rental available at all or for a reasonable price.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:22 PM

From the highway this area looks like it’s really coming along. I was just on Campeau for the first time in a few years and I realize that it’s pretty much smoke and mirrors. Still awfully bleak for anyone not in a car. This project won’t change that.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2021, 5:48 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Here's a new rendering, from the UDRP.

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...02-21-0009.PDF

Old Posted Nov 24, 2021, 2:10 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Application resubmitted... now with added commercial space and less green roof.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:57 AM

Seems like the retail is only going to be either:

Dental / Medical office
Restaurant
Coffee Shop
Pharmacy (maybe)

Doubt anything else could be really fit into the commercial spaces there unfortunately. Still much needed density and height for a central area like that for Kanata. Design aint too shabby so hopefully they break ground soon

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:58 PM

Nice to see a bit more retail. Maybe a Circle K could combine units A and B.

Too bad for the reduced roof top greenery.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 3:01 PM

I think the additional retail along the street is a huge improvement to the project. Another small change that makes a big difference is the improvements to the on-site sidewalk connectivity compared to the first site plan.

I approve.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs