HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonTownRob View Post
Does anyone know what is happening with the (Sandman?) hotel project at Lorne and Circle? It looks like construction has been abandoned with it partially finished, or is it just moving ahead at a crawl? Is it tied up in insurance claim stuff? Financial trouble?
Construction is still going, just at snails pace

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 10:14 PM

There are also not bad x-country ski trails at bottom of hill in trees...so there are all kind of activity options for development there!

Come on someone with deep, deep pockets that wants to see a great 4 season activity centre near Saskatoon!!!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 1:42 PM

As I was sitting at the traffic lights on the corner of College and Clarence, I could not help but get a feeling of frustration looking at the vacant, weedy lot that is "suppose" to be River Terrace...or whatever North Prairie called it. Absolutely no signs of activity on the actual or virtual site from North Prairie.

Clearly this project is not going ahead this year....if at all. I guess the Varsity View Community Association got all hot and bothered over this development for no good reason.

I just wish if developers have changed their minds....whether that be delaying or canceling....that they would be more forthright with the public. I would much prefer to know the status as 'canceled' versus the continuous limbo that often happens.

Rant for the day....

Edit: I just found a news story from January of this year that said development a year away from shovels in the ground. Fair enough, but do you not think there would be some effort put into pre-sales for this project? I do think Highpoint on Broadway will be in competition with the North Prairie build.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...vote-1.4997667

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:34 PM

Angry

There’s a starphoenix article this week about Don Atchison running for mayor again where he mentions he’s too busy to think about that because he’s working on World Trade Center LOL. WTC should have been completed by now. I don’t think this company ever plans to build massive residential or commercial buildings. They legitimately have it in their business’s marketing strategy to make these announcements so that it scares other developers from building since they have other suburban projects to fill occupancy with for much lower cost.. I can’t stress that enough. This isn’t an issue with capital financing for the buildings, it’s the fact that they have tons of new commercial and residential projects in the suburbs that are cheap builds but still vacant looking for tenants. If I was a suburban developer I’d probably do the same.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Echoes

Saskatoon's cranes

Excellent crane post Echoes,
With Jim Pattison Sask Children's Hospital cranes brought down earlier this year...

Video Link

...another set of crane(s) have seemed to have sprung up on South River bank.

I was at Sask Jazz Festival last week and took a few pics, all within a few blocks of Broadway Bridge, of all the new construction sights.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Jul 9, 2019 at 1:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:49 AM

Does the new office building have tenants lined up?

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I presume that you're asking about the River Landing tower(s). The East Tower has MLT-Aikins, EY, RBC, Victory Majors & Triovest to the best of my knowledge. The North Tower is named the Nutrien Tower because they are taking 8 floors - not sure about other tenants for that one.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:53 PM

Wow, the quality/style of each of those signs (rendering quality, material, size, font) says a lot about each project/company. Remarkable actually.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
Wow, the quality/style of each of those signs (rendering quality, material, size, font) says a lot about each project/company. Remarkable actually.
Also reflects the target market and overall capital investment. People aren't going to rent a unit from Baydo based on a nice sign. As for the Escala fabric sign, well Meridian has been developing in Saskatoon for many, many years - I'd say they know the market.

I don't recall seeing much on the Baydo project before. The rendering for this Broadway project looks a lot like the one for the twin tower proposed on 25th street in my opinion. Similar overall massing and small, punched windows in each case.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
There are two office towers going up. The second taller tower is not yet at grade, 2nd taller crane behind the first in the photo. Both towers are 60% leased.

The photo kind of makes it look like you are seeing two buildings (on the right half) but that is all the first tower. Check out other pictures on this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...193214&page=85

The 2nd tower will be 50% taller and of similar design.

Last edited by ToonTownRob; Jul 10, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:57 AM

Saw some digging going on at baydo's Broadway project today. Whether you like this project or not it is undeniable that Broadway has some solid momentum going these days.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post
Saw some digging going on at baydo's Broadway project today. Whether you like this project or not it is undeniable that Broadway has some solid momentum going these days.
Don't like the project, love the momentum.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 4:47 PM

I saw some digging at the North Prairie site on College and Clarence too!!!
Oh wait....that was just gophers in the abandoned field!!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 2:42 PM

I heard a rumour yesterday that the Farmers Market Building may become a traditional grocery store. Has anyone else heard anything like that. I asked a real estate friend of mine and they had not heard that before.

If true...not sure how I feel about it. I want a downtown grocery store, but I do think that current location is perfect for our Farmers Market.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I heard a rumour yesterday that the Farmers Market Building may become a traditional grocery store. Has anyone else heard anything like that. I asked a real estate friend of mine and they had not heard that before.

If true...not sure how I feel about it. I want a downtown grocery store, but I do think that current location is perfect for our Farmers Market.
Don't think it's true, but, if so, completely idiotic. There are numerous places one could put a grocery store downtown. The market is a tourist attraction and a prime driver for River Landing.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

We have an awesome Asian grocery store just across from Cactus Club, we have Pharmasave, we have Shoppers in the mall that’s just about to expand into a much larger store with the midtown renovation, and we have two confectionaries inside condos on 5th and 6th north. We even have a Safeway just off idywild and 33rd. WHY do people keep thinking we lack a downtown grocery store lol. Are Saskatoonitex expecting a Costco to come downtown? Because for a downtown I’d argue our grocery scene is better than Winnipeg’s. You’re not building a massive grocery store without parking for people to walk to and fill carts and take those carts home... most downtowners in other cities take their groceries home by cab/Uber if they’re getting a large load of stuff.. so Safeway on 33rd offers everything our downtown needs.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 4:52 PM

Sask. cities among least desirable places to move; finder.com

Obviously the majority of the people surveyed are from Ontario. Few people out west know about St Catherine's or London. They probably have never been out west except for maybe Vancouver or Calgary.

This is from CJME/CKOM (link below)

https://www.cjme.com/syn/653/585460/...ve-finder-com/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
Obviously the majority of the people surveyed are from Ontario. Few people out west know about St Catherine's or London. They probably have never been out west except for maybe Vancouver or Calgary.

This is from CJME/CKOM (link below)

https://www.cjme.com/syn/653/585460/...ve-finder-com/
My own polls found that that Finder.com paid CKOM to post that so people would search Finder.com, or CKOM simply took their bait. Viral marketing at it's sickest

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 9:24 PM

Kind of a joke. But not offended....we fall into "one of Canada's best kept secrets" kind of city. If you have never been here, you have a poor impression....if your work or family travel ends up bringing you here, you are shocked how much you like the city!

In a previous job, I planned a number of national conferences held in Saskatoon and at first was surprised how little delegates knew about Saskatoon and 2nd how many misconceptions they had about the city ("wow...there are trees here....and restaurants...and a pretty downtown...) I kid you not!!! I can't say all of them, but the vast majority left with a far more positive perception of our city then they arrived with!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 10:12 PM

Don't forget the hills. I have had visitors from Ontario ask me when did Saskatchewan add hills?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan