HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I honestly thought this whole time it was going to be across the street on the river, where that long parking lot is. I'm not in love with the actual location. However, may be with this new building others around it will update their exterior. Also, the power lines - I am sure they will be removed, which should only further the need to update and gentrify they immediate surrounding area. On the plus side, to building should go up so much faster - an issue if it was right on the River. And because it is more commercial, apartments and condominiums, it will go up faster than the Frost.
I could be mistaken, but I believe that First Baptist of San Antonio owns the parking lot you're talking about, south of the river.

Yes, the lot that the Thompson is being built on is rather skinny, but I actually think that is incredibly promising; if they can build something as beautiful as the Thompson on such a small footprint, imagine what they could do with other lots of its size around downtown!

The area does indeed need massive improvement; IMO the Indigo and El Tropicano themselves are both eyesores. As are most of the buildings in their immediate vicinity. The good thing is that there are dozens (if not more) surface parking lots just in this part of downtown alone. I'm sort of fantasizing about them all being bought up and having high-rises like the Thompson being built on them.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I could be mistaken, but I believe that First Baptist of San Antonio owns the parking lot you're talking about, south of the river.

Yes, the lot that the Thompson is being built on is rather skinny, but I actually think that is incredibly promising; if they can build something as beautiful as the Thompson on such a small footprint, imagine what they could do with other lots of its size around downtown!

The area does indeed need massive improvement; IMO the Indigo and El Tropicano themselves are both eyesores. As are most of the buildings in their immediate vicinity. The good thing is that there are dozens (if not more) surface parking lots just in this part of downtown alone. I'm sort of fantasizing about them all being bought up and having high-rises like the Thompson being built on them.
Very true, but wee have already seen what can be done on a small lot. The Canopy is a great example. I believe it is actuality a smaller lot. I love the deign of it. Is not anything like the Thompson, but it's something very nice in an otherwise ugly area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 6:41 PM

I hadn't noticed it before, but in the video on the Thompson website, there's an interesting rendering where they superimpose on a real photo what the tower will look like when finished, looking SE from St. Mary's. You can see the Tobin to its right.

Those west facing apartments are going to heat up very quickly in the summer....

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 8:21 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
I hadn't noticed it before, but in the video on the Thompson website, there's an interesting rendering where they superimpose on a real photo what the tower will look like when finished, looking SE from St. Mary's. You can see the Tobin to its right.

Those west facing apartments are going to heat up very quickly in the summer....

Not at all.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:54 AM
JACKinBeantown

I'm not crazy about the design of this building, but what I've seen before certainly looks better than that backlit render. Hope it looks better in real life.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I'm not crazy about the design of this building, but what I've seen before certainly looks better than that backlit render. Hope it looks better in real life.
I'm with you there. This rendering looks like the last present wrapped at Christmas that used the scraps. Or maybe the back of a drive-in theater screen.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:19 AM

https://globenewswire.com/news-relea...dbreaking.html

Quote:
DC Partners today announced the groundbreaking ceremony for The Arts Residences and Thompson San Antonio hotel will take place Tuesday, January 30, from 9 to 11 a.m. at the project site, 123 Lexington Avenue, San Antonio, with a reception following in The Arts Residences Sales Gallery, located at 115 Auditorium Circle.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 7:57 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
This is actually much sooner than previously stated. I knew this project would go fast. It's condos. Money is on the line more so than the Frost, for instance, which is ridiculously slow (I only just remembered it is also a city project, coupled with that makes this a slow project). I bet this building (the Arts) will be at 15 floors by year end (Dec 2018).

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
"Forty percent of the condominium homes in The Arts Residences at the Thompson San Antonio hotel have sold since the sales gallery opened May 11, 2017, setting a new record for the fastest-selling high-rise luxury condominium project in Texas. The for-sale residences are priced from the high $400s to over $4.5 million for penthouses."

This is a pretty impressive feat.

SKW has been telling us about the changing dynamics and economy as relates to the urban core. Props.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 3:45 PM

Nothing really new in this article I came across today, but it got me more excited for the groundbreaking next week!

http://riograndeguardian.com/groundb...ts-residences/

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 6:12 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
"Forty percent of the condominium homes in The Arts Residences at the Thompson San Antonio hotel have sold since the sales gallery opened May 11, 2017, setting a new record for the fastest-selling high-rise luxury condominium project in Texas. The for-sale residences are priced from the high $400s to over $4.5 million for penthouses."

I do not believe that to be an accurate statement. The Independent "sold" 90% of its units in less than two weeks from the opening of their respective sales gallery.

Furthermore, "sold" is a tricky word when describing units in a tower with has yet to break ground. I doubt many, if any, of those "sold" units have actually closed. More than likely, they are "reservations" or LOI/LOU to purchase a unit coupled with some sort of substantial deposit.

**In any case...it is great to finally have a ground breaking date on what is going to be a superb addition to downtown San Antonio!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 6:51 PM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:33 PM

Beautiful. Did they not say that there would be a restaurant on the street side facing Lexington? Can’t quite tell from those pics.

Also, that entire section of St Mary’s going east-west from Lexington to Brooklyn really has potential. There are a bunch of surface lots. Though that awful AT&T building ruins it a bit.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:32 PM
Resident Moron

Woof.

This thing is a discombobulated mess of a building with multiple intersecting shapes that don't play well with one another at all. That weird glass dome thing going up the side, the boxes of windows within other boxes. Curves meeting sharp angles in weird ways.

This is just a building that looks awkward from almost every angle.

The street level interaction is really nice. But everything else is just a mess of ideas with no cohesion at all.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:40 PM
JACKinBeantown

They should call it The Farts.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:42 PM

Meh. It’s better than the crappy parking lot that’s currently sitting there.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:47 PM

I'm just happy it isn't going to look like that oversized UPS box down the street.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:54 PM

Quote:

There's not much I like about this building, besides the strong possibility that it will soon exist. That I like very much.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:55 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Comment of the Year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio