HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 8:50 PM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
Another fine choice would be Jim August, just looking at the job he's done with the Forks makes me wonder what our city could be like if he had just a little more money and power at his disposal.
But isn't he the Chair of the Ross McGowan Fan Club (formerly known as the Centre Venture Board of Directors)? Not my first pick for mayor.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:08 PM
the first stamp is free

I not so sure that Centre Venture is as evil an organization as you seem to think it is.

They seem to be getting a lot of stuff going these days.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2010, 9:35 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yes and no

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:03 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I not so sure that Centre Venture is as evil an organization as you seem to think it is.

Gee, I wonder why?

Maybe because they, in the interest of making an incumbant mayor who is facing a serious contender look good, are pressured into checking off the 4-5 year-old "to do" list (Bell Hotel, Avenue Building, etc.)--even if that means making decisions/deals that wouldn't have made financial sense even a year ago.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 12:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes and no
Please explain..........

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 12:55 PM
BANNED

Centreventure has a very tough job to do, and the only reason why projects are moving forward now is because of the TIF bill that the pathetic NDP government took so long to pass. They are not to blame for any slow progress; they are not a developer; they work with developers to develop derelict properties, etc. I am sure there are plans for these buildings we were not made aware of because financing was never secured, and we do know of many failed attempts because of this.

I am in favor of Sam Katz staying at City Hall only because there is no serious rival at this point. I can just see that bag Judy Wasa-whatever turning Winnipeg into an even larger welfare city.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgalston View Post
Gee, I wonder why?

Maybe because they, in the interest of making an incumbant mayor who is facing a serious contender look good, are pressured into checking off the 4-5 year-old "to do" list (Bell Hotel, Avenue Building, etc.)--even if that means making decisions/deals that wouldn't have made financial sense even a year ago.
SO.....what does it matter, the point is they are still getting things done. If they are doing it for the sole purpose (which they are not) of making Mayor Sammy look good then go ahead. I think that although CentreVenture is not perfect they are doing a fairly decent job of trying to piece together development in downtown Winnipeg.

When Winnipeg hits the point where development just happens then i will hop on the "get rid of CentreVenture" bandwagon. Until then i look forward to the developments they assist in bringing to downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:06 PM

Quote:
But isn't he the Chair of the Ross McGowan Fan Club (formerly known as the Centre Venture Board of Directors)? Not my first pick for mayor.
Haha. August would crap if he read that.

August is a very decent man with good urban sensibilities. We should be so lucky to get him as our mayor.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 30, 2010 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Gee, I wonder why?

Projects take a long time to pull off. It's as simple as that. You are about 180 degrees wrong on this one.

Last edited by flatlander; Apr 30, 2010 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipegger@Heart View Post
Centreventure has a very tough job to do, and the only reason why projects are moving forward now is because of the TIF bill that the pathetic NDP government took so long to pass. They are not to blame for any slow progress; they are not a developer; they work with developers to develop derelict properties, etc. I am sure there are plans for these buildings we were not made aware of because financing was never secured, and we do know of many failed attempts because of this.

I am in favor of Sam Katz staying at City Hall only because there is no serious rival at this point. I can just see that bag Judy Wasa-whatever turning Winnipeg into an even larger welfare city.
The TIF is 3 months old. All the projects recently announced are 3-4 years in the making. The TIF has had no influence on these projects (with the exception of the Avenue Building).

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 12:30 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

CentreVenture has way too much power and at the same time too little power ... that might not make sense to you until they are involved in one of your projects. They are not the ones getting stuff going right now in the exchange, the private sector is largely responsible. The division of the downtown into zones that they are proposing is counter-intuitive, counter-Jacobs, and counter every successful downtown core.

Not a big fan ... not even a little fan!

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 5:16 AM
the first stamp is free

^ I dunno. We could wait another 50 years for someone to get some sort of "private" sector project underway in the area of Main Street that the Bell Hotel etc. all loom large in various states of decay.

Fact is it ain't gonna happen. Another vacant year for the Bell and it's history.

I walked through that building top down a couple years ago, and I can tell you for a fact no private investor would lay down a nickel to develop that building unless there were some sort of subsidies available. It's in terrible shape.

You have to take the good with the bad. A redeveloped Bell Hotel and Avenue bldg are good things.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 9:58 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

the bells only in a state of decay because of cv

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:40 PM
the first stamp is free

^ ??? I think you need to explain that one.

Centreventure didn't operate the Bell as a dingy rooming house, without doing any significant upgrades to the building since it was built (most of the rooms still have their original plumbing fixtures).

Centreventure didn't let the 100 year old boiler break and not replace it, leaving the building unheated.

AFAIK Centreventure purchased the building AFTER this point.

If you want someone to blame, find out who owned the building before CV.

Then think to yourself, if a entity like CV didn't purchase the Bell to hold onto it and pull strings for it's development, who would?

Honestly, who would buy this building - considering it's location and condition? Some of you forumers have your blinders on.

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:41 AM

Veteran councillor Bill Clement dies
By: Bartley Kives
3/05/2010 10:25 PM

Charleswood-Tuxedo Coun. Bill Clement died today from complications from cancer.
The gregarious "Mayor of Charleswood," who represented the west Winnipeg ward since 1983, died after a battle with lymphoma, Mayor Sam Katz announced in an e-mail statement tonight.
"It is with great sadness and deep sorrow that I am to inform all Winnipeggers of the passing of Charleswood - Tuxedo City Councillor Bill Clement. Bill ultimately lost a hard fought battle with cancer. We will miss Bill's passion, dedication, and knowledge who as a councillor always represented the citizens of Charleswood - Tuxedo and Winnipeg with integrity and wisdom, Katz said.
"On behalf of my colleagues on council, we pray for his family during this difficult time. Funeral details will follow."

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 3:45 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

tomarrow morning between 11 and noon is supost to be judy's anoincement at the forks if anyones interest i think i will go down see whats going on

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
WATCH REPLAY: Wasylycia-Leis launches candidacy

By: Bartley Kives
4/05/2010 12:31 PM

JOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA
Former MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis talks about her mayoralty campaign at The Forks Tuesday.

WINNIPEG - Judy Wasylycia-Leis said she wants to be the mayor of "a safer, better, greener, fairer Winnipeg" at a campaign launch that was heavy on enthusiasm but short on specific promises.
Speaking in front of several hundred people in the atrium at The Forks Market just before noon, the former NDP MP for Winnipeg North said she wants to replace Mayor Sam Katz because this city is "falling behind" and has no "coherent plan."
In a short address before an audience that included former mayor Bill Norrie, former mayoral candidate Kaj Hasselriis, opposition Couns. Harvey Smith (Daniel McIntyre) and Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge) and Liberal Sen. Sharon Carstairs, Wasylycia-Leis accused Katz of not being mayor for all of Winnipeg and suggested he was not a full-time mayor.
"All Winnipeggers should have a stake in the business of city hall, but city hall shouldn't just be open for business," she said, adding Katz has done things to make her "very, very angry."
Speaking to reporters afterward, she declined to say what those things are.
She also refused to say whether she will raise property taxes, refused to say whether she prefers bus rapid transit to light rail transit and refused to offer her opinion on the stadium deal.
She said she will consult with people during the campaign before she makes specific promises.
Carstairs, her campaign co-chair, led her away from reporters to end the scrum.
During her speech, she also railed against "hidden costs" and increased fees that have materialized while Katz has been in office.
She identified those fees as including the proposed fees attached to home ddsales - and the cost of repairing vehicles damaged by Winnipeg's roads.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...-92757999.html

Old Posted May 4, 2010, 6:34 PM
BANNED

If there's one person who could actually be a worse mayor than Sammy, then Judy Wash-your-sheets would be it. Judy's Marxist ideals have been proven not to work for a very long time.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 1:22 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If there's one person who could actually be a worse mayor than Sammy, then Judy Wash-your-sheets would be it. Judy's Marxist ideals have been proven not to work for a very long time.
Marxist or not, someone who votes no to tougher youth criminal justice is not someone sane Winnipegers would vote for.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 3:20 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
Marxist or not, someone who votes no to tougher youth criminal justice is not someone sane Winnipegers would vote for.
I can't wait to see how hear how she answers to that.

The NDP election machine is very effective so she does have a chance. Plus, it seems there are very few sane Winnipeggers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan