HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I dunno man, that really sucks what happened to Seattle with the Sonics. It worries me that that sort of thing could potentially happen with the Spurs someday. Just shows how easy it is to relocate a team even with a loyal fan base.

Anyway, if the Chargers moved anywhere it would probably be to LA. Same with Jacksonville, from everything I've read. The Rams are kind of a joke around Missouri (moreso even than the Chiefs), and I'd personally rather hold out for a decent team than inherit somebody else's embarrassment. Beggars can't be choosers, though.
I don't think it is carved in stone that the Chargers will be moving to Los Angeles. Believe it or not San Antonio has a great chance at landing the team. They're just about out of options in San Diego and Los Angeles has nothing but a couple of old broken down college stadiums to house a team now. Which leaves the Alamodome.

Some may criticize the building for being not up to snuff. But the fact is it stands as one of only a few stadiums in North America that could house a franchise immediately. Toronto being another one. I believe that this bodes well for San Antonio. One negative naysayer could come up with 1000 reasons why San Antonio won't get a team anytime soon. But the undeniable fact remains that a team could move here in an instant.

Old Posted May 15, 2009, 10:08 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
I dunno man, that really sucks what happened to Seattle with the Sonics. It worries me that that sort of thing could potentially happen with the Spurs someday. Just shows how easy it is to relocate a team even with a loyal fan base.
I agree but then I think about two things:

1. Seattle will get another team just like Charlotte did when the Hornets left. Most likely via relocation.

2. It's a business and it happens. They needed a new arena but could never get one.

Quote:
Anyway, if the Chargers moved anywhere it would probably be to LA. Same with Jacksonville, from everything I've read. The Rams are kind of a joke around Missouri (moreso even than the Chiefs), and I'd personally rather hold out for a decent team than inherit somebody else's embarrassment. Beggars can't be choosers, though.
With two failed attempts would an owner want to move their without a stadium in place?

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 12:10 AM

While browsing through the SA Partnership site, I took a closer look at this photo that we've all seen before.
Not sure if it ever had this on there (or if I just never noticed) but the lower sign says Bar Louie. I'm trying to find out more info aobut both places but I know that the mall on 7th St. in DC had a Lucky Strikes & Bar Louie too.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
While browsing through the SA Partnership site, I took a closer look at this photo that we've all seen before.
Not sure if it ever had this on there (or if I just never noticed) but the lower sign says Bar Louie. I'm trying to find out more info aobut both places but I know that the mall on 7th St. in DC had a Lucky Strikes & Bar Louie too.
We have a couple of Bar Louie's in Columbus and it would seem like a good fit wit how they want to transform Rivercenter. It's a little pricey but it has a nice atmospehere to it. If this who they are tryin to attract it would be a great bar/lounge for the revamped rivercenter. I'm in college so I can't always afford to go there cause there are much cheaper options available but I do love that they have $1 burger nights on Tuesday...hopefully they have it at this potential location too and I'll be sure to stop by

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 8:09 PM

I like the newer design with the balconies and the entrance way stairs.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 10:17 PM
James

Oh man I didn't even notice that ^^^. It does look great, it doesn't look so suburban.

Old Posted May 16, 2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I like the newer design with the balconies and the entrance way stairs.

I kinda wondered about that, I guess it never hurts to add some square footage with those balconies. It also makes it feel more open to the river and more inviting from the street.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 1:16 PM

Brazilian steakhouse to open on River Walk
from mysa.com

Quote:
Fogo de Chão, a Brazilian steakhouse that started in that country 30 years ago, has announced it is opening a location on the River Walk.

Scheduled to open this month, the restaurant will be a 9,700-square-foot facility in Rivercenter mall able to host 280 people, according to a media release.

San Antonio’s Fogo de Chão will have 12 Brazilian-trained chefs, and the restaurant is expected to hire 60 staffers, according to the release.

Fogo de Chão started in 1979 in Porto Alegre, Brazil. The chain opened its first U.S. restaurant in Dallas in 1997. The San Antonio restaurant will become Fogo de Chão’s 16th location in the U.S. There are six in Brazil.
finally.
Can't wait for next announcement.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 5, 2009 at 1:41 PM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 3:04 PM
Bears of antiquity

Oceanaire is closing around the country, right?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:03 PM

Fogo was the worst kept secret.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 2:52 AM
Paradise

I hope those night clubs go in there. Isn't the top floor supposed to be a museum or something?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 5:02 PM

Save some space on River North for a new Football and baseball Stadium.
None of this SBC Center and Wolff Stadium out on the boonies stuff. What about the 911 memorial out on hwy 90 west. Wouldn't that memorial be better on river north. I have never seen anyone there, and I drive by there once a week.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
What about the 911 memorial out on hwy 90 west. Wouldn't that memorial be better on river north. I have never seen anyone there, and I drive by there once a week.
No. A 911 memorial should be in New York City, Washington DC, or in a field in Pennsylvania.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
No. A 911 memorial should be in New York City, Washington DC, or in a field in Pennsylvania.
haha. Why in the world would there be one in San Antonio?! lol

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 3:10 PM

I know, right? And isn't it stupid how those WWII memorials are all over the country? Shouldn't they just be in Hawaii or Europe?

To say that 9/11 memorials should only be erected at the site of the attacks denies the deep effect they had on the entire country.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 8:39 PM

Quote:
I know, right? And isn't it stupid how those WWII memorials are all over the country? Shouldn't they just be in Hawaii or Europe?

To say that 9/11 memorials should only be erected at the site of the attacks denies the deep effect they had on the entire country.
WWII was a global war that killed over 400K US military and over 50 million in the world. Those 400K came from every community across the US and many local communities that were either involved in manufacturing for the war or supported nearby military bases. The veterans from the war live all across the country, so there is an actual connection.

IMO a memorial for 911 should be on hallowed ground. I would equate it to Pearl Harbor, not the entire world war. Fly your flags at half-mast, have a moment of silence and commemorate the day.

This memorial was built by a church and donated to the city. So I can't fault the city's judgement in this case.

Sorry for the

...and how is that Rivercenter mall looking anyway?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 9:29 PM
Meh

I like the design with the balconies a hundred times more than the one without. The rendering showing no balconies and dark tented windows. Wth is that? It's very uninviting or devoid of life. And you can't even see where to enter it. Also that big Lucky Strike sign on the window. Thanks, but I'd rather have a view of the river. Also with the balconies there will no doubt being some exterior lighting there for the table area. That will also serve as some accent lighting on the facade. I don't see any in the rendering, but surely there would be some. I do like the hanging basket planters.

Quote:

Well, WWII was different. Soldiers died in the war that were serving the entire country, where as the fire fighters in New York served New York.

You have to draw the line somewhere. Why no Oklahoma City memorials in San Antonio? No one hardly ever remembers that one. Even the media pretty much forgets or minimalizes that one.

It definitely affected me though. I'll never look at the world the same way again. I'll never forget it either, and I hate thinking about it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 14, 2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I like the design with the balconies a hundred times more than the one without. The rendering showing no balconies and dark tented windows. Wth is that? It's very uninviting or devoid of life. And you can't even see where to enter it. Also that big Lucky Strike sign on the window. Thanks, but I'd rather have a view of the river. Also with the balconies there will no doubt being some exterior lighting there for the table area. That will also serve as some accent lighting on the facade. I don't see any in the rendering, but surely there would be some. I do like the hanging basket planters.
You're right about that one, the design is 100X more inviting and adds much needed space to that small area.
I was wondering, and still kind of wonder, if they are going to move the escalators. They are now at the wall just inside of the outdoor space, not the balcony. Maybe they are getting rid of them altogether.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2009, 12:08 AM

A San Antonian died in the 9/11 attacks.

http://www.pentagonmemorial.net/reme...es.aspx?id=173

There's a (fairly) new high school here (in Cibolo) that was named after her.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
A San Antonian died in the 9/11 attacks.

http://www.pentagonmemorial.net/reme...es.aspx?id=173

There's a (fairly) new high school here (in Cibolo) that was named after her.
Karen Wagner High is off Foster Rd. near Converse. She was a graduate of Converse Judson High.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio