HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 8:48 PM
Meh

Cool. That should make quite an impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 6:44 PM

Talking Cityscape: Latest renderings of PHX's new tallest--525' 44 stories + 3 more 'scrapers

Renderings courtesy Callison Architects, Seattle, WA

Older rendering, but shows more of the total scope:

WHAT: Cityscape (mixed-use project), which at build-out is planned to consist of four towers:

Tower 1: 388' and 31 stories
Tower 2: 400' and 32 stories
Tower 3: 450' and 40 stories
Tower 4: 525' and 44 stories

http://www.downtownphxrising.org/project_vision.asp

FEATURES: 800,000 square feet of office space, 1,200 residential units; restaurants, grocery stores, and retail space. Total footage: 2.5 million square feet.

WHERE: Downtown Phoenix, covering three city blocks in the heart of the city. The boundaries are: 1st Avenue to the west, 2nd Street to the east, Washington Street to the north, and Jefferson Street to the south. The project is adjacent to the US Airways Center and within two blocks of Chase Field. The Light Rail Transit System (LRT) runs on three sides of the project with two nearby rail stations providing convenient access.

TOTAL INVESTMENT: About $1 billion USD.

WHO: CityScape involves the financial strength and entrepreneurial vision of several local and national development partners, all commited to downtown Phoenix.

RED Development, LLC - Shopping center development, multi-use projects and master-planned communities; Scottsdale, Arizona/Kansas City, Missouri

CDK Partners, LLC - Creates, develops, leases, owns and manages innovative mixed-use commercial, residential and hospitality related urban spaces.

Barron Collier Companies - Real estate development, agriculture and minerals; Naples, Florida/Phoenix, Arizona

Novare Group - High-rise real estate development including condominiums and office; Atlanta, Georgia

Callison Architects - Commercial and mixed-use project design; Seattle, Washington

MAJOR RETAILERS: A.J.'s Fine Foods will open a grocery store in the project, and P.F. Chang's will open a restaurant as well.

WHEN: Breaking ground now (site prep underway), substantive ground-breaking in a few months (late fall 2007) with first phase opening in 2009, completion slated for 2011 to 2012.

APPROVAL: Formal Phoenix City Council approval came on 10-5-06:

http://www.azcentral.com/specials/sp...evote1005.html

Phoenix City Council members on Wednesday approved a blockbuster deal that clears the way for the single largest private investment project ever in the downtown area. The 2.5 million-square-foot mixed-use venture, known as CityScape, is estimated to cost as much as $900 million, and could open in early 2009.

"Today is a really huge day for our downtown's development," Councilwoman Peggy Bilsten said shortly before the council's vote. "(This project) complements everything we've done so far."

Phoenix officials believe CityScape is the last remaining piece in their ongoing effort to rebuild the city's core. It will bring more residents, housing and office space to the area, plus a much-anticipated AJ's Fine Foods, the first downtown grocery store in nearly 25 years.

The project had initially raised the ire of many community groups and activists after they learned that plans called for it to be built, in part, on downtown's only real open space, Patriots Square Park. But under the agreement approved Wednesday, the project's developers and the city will have to work with the public to redesign the park. Phoenix will also retain ownership of the open space.

That news came as a relief to many residents and groups, who are asking that the developers abide by design recommendations recently set forth by the city's Parks and Recreation Board. That panel has stated that the park contain at least 2 contiguous acres of space, among other things.

Attracting people

"The park redevelopment process must begin with a clean piece of paper and not a series of artists' concepts rendered without citizens' input," said Steve Weiss, spokesman for the Downtown Voices Coalition, a community group. Mike Ebert, managing partner for RED Development, which is building the project, said he is looking forward to working with the parks board.

"This will be a place that attracts people," Ebert said. "Not just for staged events, but for the unstaged events that happen in every day life."

Plans call for CityScape to include 250,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, about 1,260 residential units, a boutique hotel, two office towers, and 3,000 parking spaces. Phoenix will invest financially in the project, purchasing an underground parking structure and paying for repairs on an existing parking garage at a cost of $96.5 million. In addition, the city will waive the property taxes on the development's key components for eight years, a financial incentive that is worth at least $26 million, according to official estimates. But the project's developers will have to meet a host of requirements to receive the city money, including adhering to the parks board design guidelines for Patriots Square Park and providing a $13 million letter of credit to cover any revenue shortfalls during the first few years the project is open.

Ebert said he is looking forward to getting started. "It's been a challenge to get here today, but you can view challenges as roadblocks, or they can be viewed as an opportunity to showcase your creativity," he said.

Wednesday's vote came after nearly 90 minutes of discussion, most of it in favor of the project. But not everyone was happy with what he or she saw.

'Downtown for everyone'

C.R. Vavrek, who lives in downtown Phoenix, said he was concerned because many area residents can't afford to shop at high-end retailers. "I know a lot of people who live downtown, but we're low income," he said. "I'm not sure we can afford to shop at AJ's." I was wondering if there is going to be any low-income sales or medium-income sales."

Mayor Phil Gordon assured Vavrek and others that the development would accommodate all residents, not just the wealthy or business elite. "This is a downtown for everyone, and we're going to make it work for everyone," he said.

--don

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 12:51 AM
The True Avatar

The main tower looks pretty nice. It will be nice to see more density in height in PHX.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 2:04 AM

nice renderings. glad to see this project lives!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 2:27 AM

I like it!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 2:33 AM

very nice! much needed for the area to.
Quote:
Wednesday's vote came after nearly 90 minutes of discussion, most of it in favor of the project. But not everyone was happy with what he or she saw
Uh-oh.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:06 AM
them bones

Nothing wrong the the project per se, but the architecture is fairly generic. This could be anywhere.

I'm still very much against the elevated retail level as well. I think that internalizing the 2nd/3rd level retail is a huge mistake. I realize it buys them 'park' space, but I think it's going to end up more like 'dead' space.

If street level retail barely works in Phoenix now, how is 1-2 additional levels that's harder to get to going to work? Or does the elevated stuff in Collier Center actually work?

I'm also really disappointed in the lack of integration with the 2 adjacent lite rail stations. Since this has public funds involved I think there was a huge opportunity missed here for excellent transit integration.

Still, here's hoping it gets built and is successful!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 4:20 AM

^ What exactly do you mean "integration" with the light rail?

I'm guessing bottom floor retail and everything above residential and office would work better, right?

As you said, I'll still take it.

--don

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:03 AM

New renderings are out and dirt is moving on the lot. No official groundbreaking yet but things seem to be moving in the right direction.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 10:14 PM

Apologies if I missed it, but will everything be built at once ? Both towers and the retail ?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 10:41 PM

The first phase, which includes the two towers in the rendering as well as the retail is supposed to be built all at once...or at least be completed all at once, in late 2009.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
The first phase, which includes the two towers in the rendering as well as the retail is supposed to be built all at once...or at least be completed all at once, in late 2009.
Sounds great!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 2:32 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ What exactly do you mean "integration" with the light rail?

I'm guessing bottom floor retail and everything above residential and office would work better, right?

As you said, I'll still take it.

--don
On the retail levels, I just don't think DT Phoenix is ready yet for multiple level retail. Especially given that the upper levels require internal (and decidedly clumsy) site circulation. Given that other cities with much better urban bones have issues keeping developer driven retail (Minneapolis as a recently cited example in City Discussions) I think it's a longshot that this will work.

Just my opinion.

On the lite rail issue, given how auto-centric Phoenix is, I really would love to have seen Cityscape be a(the) transit hub. Give em the park then, but make em upgrade the two most likely to be used rail platforms to be directly accessible to the main public spaces in the development (i.e. without having to cross the street as a pedestrian). It's just something I think is a little short-sighted on the city's part. I also think the streets through the development should be raised to match curb heights. Gives it more of seamless plaza feel and much less of a stand-alone block.

But whatever, build the damn thing and let it evolve. Hopefully I'm wrong!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 4:45 AM

Whoever merged these threads - thanks. I didn't know this older one was around, as I only checked the first page.

One thing for sure, development has been slow coming on this project. We are nearly a year post city approval and still no actual groundbreaking.

--don

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 8:23 PM

September 12th:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
Global Citizen

It was about time that Phoenix finally got a new tallest.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@ptor View Post
It was about time that Phoenix finally got a new tallest.

It has been a long wait.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2007, 3:41 AM
Stay Thirsty.

A fence is in place! Looks like you guys might get a real decent tower outta this...not bad at all.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2007, 5:34 AM

I've been waiting for CityScape to submit for FAA height clearance and it looks like they finally did!

Not only is it another step closer to development, but it also gives us a definite on the height of each building and a estimated build time.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5520-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009

Other Description: 45 Story Hotel/ Condo Tower

Structure Height: 510 ft.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5521-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009

Other Description: 27 Story Office Tower

Structure Height: 375 ft.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Sep 14, 2007 at 5:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 2:55 AM

I like the new design, especially the main tower. I'm surprised at 45 stories but 510', it increased a story but decreased in height by 15'?

Plinko, you have a point about multi level individual retail, the Arizona Center being a perfect example, however I think retail that incorporates multiple levels within itself would work fine like a three story Borders.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive