HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 9:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinclair View Post
So alot of people in that other building will be looking at a wall now?

Will Waterview have any windows at all on that side?

I feel as if the core should have been on the top left corner, giving maximum floorspace with window (street view) access
Remember there will be a hotel in the bottom couple dozen floors or so, so it really isn't as big of an issue, the hotel can just put things that don't need windows on the view-blocked sides, like conference rooms, ballrooms(dont know if any large meeting spaces like this are planned here), pools, maintenance facilities, and cheep rooms.

The condo floors don't really start until the views have opened up a least somewhat, though I believe that someone a while ago pointed out that this will be the first and only supertall ever built "directly adjacent" to another building. Waterview certainly is rather dense compared to most supertall buildings.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:42 AM

Interesting building. I hope to see the process of construction. Looks like its going to be one amazing building. Just another amazing building added to the collection of towers in chicago.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Remember there will be a hotel in the bottom couple dozen floors or so, so it really isn't as big of an issue, the hotel can just put things that don't need windows on the view-blocked sides, like conference rooms, ballrooms(dont know if any large meeting spaces like this are planned here), pools, maintenance facilities, and cheep rooms.
I saw a presentation on this one, and the architects are actually leaving out several floors in the SW corner of the building on the lower levels. They said they'd put a floor in as a structural diaphragm ever 3 stories or so. I guess if they don't put floors in, then it doesn't count towards the FAR. I've never heard of any one doing that before.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic View Post
I saw a presentation on this one, and the architects are actually leaving out several floors in the SW corner of the building on the lower levels. They said they'd put a floor in as a structural diaphragm ever 3 stories or so. I guess if they don't put floors in, then it doesn't count towards the FAR. I've never heard of any one doing that before.
Sorry, I don't quite get it. Does this mean that on the SW corner, if you were to stand in the alley, you would just see exposed concrete columns and no slabs? Is there going to be a physical, visible void in the structure, or maybe some kind of atria within that occur every three floors?

I suppose MoMo kind of did the same thing to get better views: Jack up the building and put the allowable floor area into the "better views zone."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Does this mean that on the SW corner, if you were to stand in the alley, you would just see exposed concrete columns and no slabs? Is there going to be a physical, visible void in the structure, or maybe some kind of atria within that occur every three floors?
I didn't see any pictures (other than floor plans) of this area, but my guess is that the voids will be concealed by a stout curtain wall system.

The occupied portions of the lower SW corner will be back-of-house stuff, so I don't think there will be any grand atriums. The presenter also mentioned that they designed the building so you could add those floos back in at a later date, but I can't imagine that happening.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biophilic View Post
I didn't see any pictures (other than floor plans) of this area, but my guess is that the voids will be concealed by a stout curtain wall system.

The occupied portions of the lower SW corner will be back-of-house stuff, so I don't think there will be any grand atriums. The presenter also mentioned that they designed the building so you could add those floos back in at a later date, but I can't imagine that happening.

If you are talking about the presentation that was at the cultural center, I was there as well. You will not be able to notice the voids from outside because of the curtain wall. That space will be mechanical, although that space is a bit less now, because remember, they just went back before the plan commission to add hotel rooms.

Honte, in that space, there will be a floor slab every 3rd floor. But when you get to the setback on 29, this stops, and all usable floorspace is utilized b condos.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 6:47 PM

^^I suppose that could be quite useful for laundry and such. I've seen quite a few two-story drycleaners with a crazy track system.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2007, 2:49 AM

......i never realized just how SLOW it can be to get a building out of the ground when the site is small ! .....I don't think this one will really be totally out of the ground before this summer...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:19 AM
Chicago

One Year Anniversary of Ground Breaking Ceremony

Previously posted by BVictor1.

^ Today is the one year anniversary of the ground breaking ceremony. To the average passerby it might not look like much has happened, but I think we know better. The groundwork is in place for an incredible skyscraper which will rise during the next several months.

January 31, 2007

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:27 AM

Solarwind, we may have passed right by each other.
I took these today from the same vantage point.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 1:38 AM
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Solarwind, we may have passed right by each other.
Did you stop to talk to one of the workers located near the truck entrance? If so, then I saw you. Of course having never met, I didn't know that was you, but I thought that might have been a SSP member because I noticed a camera.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:12 AM

I went by there, but he was busy directing dumptrucks, so I didn't stop to chat. Wasn't me then.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 5:21 AM

^your bandwith is exceeded on photobucket

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
^your bandwith is exceeded on photobucket
Fixed. Sorry about that.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 9:03 AM

That's nuts. Its like playing a macro version of pick up sticks with the raker beams.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 6:30 PM

The Excavation Process

Sorry if this has been answered before, but:
How far down do they have to excavate, has excavation begun already, and how long is excavation expected to take?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2007, 4:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
January 9, 2007

Wonderful vantage point Solar.

It's going to be exciting watching this one progress.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 12:23 AM
FriskyDingo

Isnt this going to be practically the same height as BofA Atlanta? 1047ft I think?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherek View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before, but:
How far down do they have to excavate, has excavation begun already, and how long is excavation expected to take?
You blind? Has the excavation begun?

They have to go down four levels, then they have to build that space back up. It will probably be several more months before the building actually begins to rise out of the ground.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 2:52 AM
Chicago

February 15, 2007

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive