HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 6:37 AM
Meh

Nice. And I didn't even notice that was a full sized truck and assumed it was one of those police carts you see in some downtowns. Ha

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:24 PM

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

Demolition isn't pretty. (Except when there are big explosions!)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:05 PM

any new updates on this one, TXDev?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

In the Hilton Canopy webcam you can see the very corner of this site. There's still plenty that needs to be excavated. I'd say they still easily have a few weeks of clearing out the rubble before they can even begin to start actual initial foundation work.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/sundt/hiltoncanopy

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
any new updates on this one, TXDev?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 12:21 AM

The glass on the Canopy is lookin sweet, & the modern octagonal Floodgate is surely going to be one of the coolest buildings anywhere, I'm really glad demo is underway. It's definalty an exciting time in The...one & only...SATX.... BAM!!!!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
In the Hilton Canopy webcam you can see the very corner of this site. There's still plenty that needs to be excavated. I'd say they still easily have a few weeks of clearing out the rubble before they can even begin to start actual initial foundation work.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/sundt/hiltoncanopy
Yeah, it's going to be a minute before this rises up, but when it does, I'll be glad to see it.

I know I'm in the minority, as I like this better than the original design in terms of looks and height, but I know the interaction with the river suffered somewhat.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:23 AM

The very 1st design was REALLY cool. I think this project just evolved into something entirely different, so we are getting this gem now, but it would be awsome if someone decided to use the 1st design in a different project somewhere!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Yeah, it's going to be a minute before this rises up, but when it does, I'll be glad to see it.

I know I'm in the minority, as I like this better than the original design in terms of looks and height, but I know the interaction with the river suffered somewhat.
I'm not sure you're in the minority. I think it's an apples/oranges comparison (to use an old cliche). I personally really liked the old design, but it would never have worked with the height they added. This new design is fantastic, it's bold and modern and something downtown (and SA in general) sorely needed. Both designs are great for what they are trying to accomplish. If anything, we should be glad the developers didn't opt to go more conservative with the design once they increased the height. Just my two cents.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan In Real Life View Post
I'm not sure you're in the minority. I think it's an apples/oranges comparison (to use an old cliche). I personally really liked the old design, but it would never have worked with the height they added. This new design is fantastic, it's bold and modern and something downtown (and SA in general) sorely needed. Both designs are great for what they are trying to accomplish. If anything, we should be glad the developers didn't opt to go more conservative with the design once they increased the height. Just my two cents.
So they are for sure going with the octagon design? I'm all for more unique architecture in the downtown core.

Also, thank you for the pics Txdev. Will there be any space next to esquire or will the new building go right against it? The Esquire walls don't seem to be in the best shape.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
So they are for sure going with the octagon design? I'm all for more unique architecture in the downtown core.

Also, thank you for the pics Txdev. Will there be any space next to esquire or will the new building go right against it? The Esquire walls don't seem to be in the best shape.
I would hope for all parties involved that part of the deal is shoring up the Esquire walls. Tearing down the abutting building has to have an effect on them, so it would make sense that the Esquire's owners would have them agree to such a deal.

I liked the original design best too, and I think it would look just as good at this height. But I'm more than satisfied with the octagon.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:

There is supposed to be a cut-through next to Esquire that will let pedestrians walk from Commerce down to the river, so that Esquire wall will be left exposed (and hopefully cleaned up)

On the other side, the floodgate bldg will be built right up to the Chinese restaurant building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 6:22 PM
JACKinBeantown

(delete)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2020, 8:25 PM

Enter the Floodgate: Luxury 17-story apartment tower underway downtown

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...apartment.html

Can't see past the paywall. Does anyone have an account?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 12:38 AM
James

Got it.

Quote:
San Antonio Business Journal
Search News, Lists, People, Companies, or Events…
Search
CRANE WATCH
Commercial Real Estate
Enter the Floodgate: Luxury 17-story apartment tower underway downtown

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Mar 27, 2020, 12:49pm CDT
One of downtown San Antonio’s most-anticipated developments is now in progress.

The Floodgate, being developed by local interior designer and real estate developer Keller Henderson, is set to be a 17-story, mixed-use luxury apartment and retail tower at 139 East Commerce Street along the River Walk. The apartments, likely to have some of the highest rents in the city, will range in size from 850 to 1,500 square feet.

The octagon-shaped development between the Witte Building and the Esquire Tavern broke ground in mid-February. The first phase of demolition — the removal of two existing buildings — is complete, Henderson told the Business Journal. After the retention systems and crane are set, crews will begin pouring concrete. Completion is estimated for November 2021.

The tower is set to have the city’s first automated parking system on its second and third levels with 56 spaces. Residents will drive into the garage and leave their car to be parked by an automated machine that will raise the car into a space using a puzzle-like system and a turntable. When a vehicle's owner needs it, the touch of a button will trigger the system to automatically retrieve the car.

Henderson said his team has made sure the parking system will be able to handle “Texas-sized” SUVs such as Suburbans and Escalades. It will also have six automated electric charging stations with the capacity to add 20 more.

Local firm Jordan Foster Construction is working on the project along with Austin-based Rhode Partners Architects. Falcon International Bank is Henderson’s lending partner and local firm Hilmy designed a branding package for the project.

Henderson said the momentum of downtown development will keep moving through the COVID-19 pandemic, and that the unprecedented situation will create a stronger appeal for buildings with “smart” features such as automated parking that may previously have been seen as simply a novelty or convenience.

“The urban lifestyle is very interconnected and interdependent one,” Henderson said. “Going forward, services and technologies once considered a luxury will become the new modus operandi, and the Floodgate right in stride with this evolution.”

By Mitchell Parton – Reporter, San Antonio Business Journal
Mar 27, 2020, 12:49pm CDT

Old Posted Apr 6, 2020, 2:47 PM

is this one still moving forward? construction ongoing?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 3:04 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
is this one still moving forward? construction ongoing?
Well, there is a pandemic happening.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:08 AM

Passed through the site this past weekend. It looks like they are digging the foundation. Crane coming soon for this one...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Passed through the site this past weekend. It looks like they are digging the foundation. Crane coming soon for this one...
Awesome! When you guys have time, can someone swing by the site to take pictures. Much appreciate.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio