HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 4:54 PM

It still kind of frustrates me that even with Federal funding we weren't able to make a Freeway out of CCW. I feel bad for the truckers that have to pass through this city. Having experienced what it is like to have to stop and go in a rig, it really can be a painful experience.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:01 PM

I see it every morning dropping of the girlfriend. Driving Plessis south to Fermor, Fermor north to Lag, then south on Lag. The truckers coming from Symington intermodal are just crawling along down Plessis, then up the ramp to Fermor. Then have to stop and Lag. Only one truck and a few cars get's through the left turn light to go south on Lag. So frustrating.

I wait for 10 mins at that one light almost every day. Couldn't imagine being one of those truck drivers. Must take them 20-30 mins just to go that short distance. Once they get up to speed on Fermor they're on the brakes for the lights at lag.

Sorry, off topic from CentrePort.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I see it every morning dropping of the girlfriend. Driving Plessis south to Fermor, Fermor north to Lag, then south on Lag. The truckers coming from Symington intermodal are just crawling along down Plessis, then up the ramp to Fermor. Then have to stop and Lag. Only one truck and a few cars get's through the left turn light to go south on Lag. So frustrating.

I wait for 10 mins at that one light almost every day. Couldn't imagine being one of those truck drivers. Must take them 20-30 mins just to go that short distance. Once they get up to speed on Fermor they're on the brakes for the lights at lag.

Sorry, off topic from CentrePort.
10 minutes at a light? Hmmm...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 6:06 PM

10 minutes here, 10 minutes there. It adds up is all I'm saying.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 7:46 PM

Someone explain this to me. The plan is for shipping to Churchill and then train/truck to Winnipeg for distribution east/west/south?

And this is going to make Manitoba a shipping power?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2013, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Someone explain this to me. The plan is for shipping to Churchill and then train/truck to Winnipeg for distribution east/west/south?

Pretty much. Doesn't necessarily have to be shipped through Churchill, but that's a part of it. A lot of east west south shipping and air shipping as well. Also establishing Winnipeg as the northern hub of the mid-continent trade corridor. The plan is to make Winnipeg and Manitoba a powerhouse in shipping. Which in theory will bring in more business to set up at CentrePort due to the ease of shipping worldwide. Which brings in more jobs and more money. And the cycle goes on.

Image Source

Last edited by bomberjet; Sep 25, 2013 at 8:43 PM. Reason: Added source

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 5:45 PM

Omnitrax still keen on Churchill oil shipments
Bullish on hauling crude up north despite fall test run being on hold
By: Murray McNeill

Quote:
TS plans for a fall test run have been postponed, but Omnitrax remains determined to ship oil on a regular basis through the Port of Churchill beginning as early as next year, a company official said Thursday.

"We're committed to this long-term," Omnitrax president and chief operating officer Darcy Brede said in an interview Thursday.
Good, Ship it, ensure the safeguards are in place after proper consultations with the parties involved.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 7:40 PM

No consultation needed since no new construction needed.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2013, 8:24 PM

There's consultations ongoing re:how to spend the monies.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 4:11 PM

Last edited by Cyro; Oct 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2013, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post

No.

There just has not been the investment required to make it a reality. I had high hopes for Centreport when it opened, but there has not been much activity from companies that want to buy land in the area.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
No.

There just has not been the investment required to make it a reality. I had high hopes for Centreport when it opened, but there has not been much activity from companies that want to buy land in the area.
Is this mainly due to the ongoing Winnipeg/Rosser water battle? The one that's been dragging on and on, costing Centerport huge investments such as the Facebook data center? And who knows what else?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:03 PM

The water issue has been resolved. A new treatment plant is being built, starting in the spring IIRC. It will also serve other communities outside of Winnipeg from what I understand.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The water issue has been resolved. A new treatment plant is being built, starting in the spring IIRC. It will also serve other communities outside of Winnipeg from what I understand.
Was that in Headingly?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 6:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
Was that in Headingly?
It will be located just west of Headingley Correctional Centre.....$30+ million.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Is this mainly due to the ongoing Winnipeg/Rosser water battle? The one that's been dragging on and on, costing Centerport huge investments such as the Facebook data center? And who knows what else?
I thought facebook chose elsewhere because of Canadian privacy laws? Where did you get the info that the decision was due to the water rights problem?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:30 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I thought facebook chose elsewhere because of Canadian privacy laws? Where did you get the info that the decision was due to the water rights problem?
We lost the data centre because the municipality where it went (Ohio or something like that) basically gave Facebook everything, including the kitchen sink in incentives. I was told by someone involved that Manitoba's offer was way more than generous but that they just couldn't match the other offer. It was literally one signature away from coming here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
I had read that on here somewhere...that due to lack of water service available at the time, they had been forced to look elsewhere. Was the reason in fact Canadian privacy laws?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
CentrePort to focus on business expansion, rail facility

CentrePort Canada President and CEO Diane Gray is positive about continuing development of the 20,000-acre inland port straddling the boundary of the City of Winnipeg and RM of Rosser.
Gray commented on aspects of CentrePort’s 2013-14 business plan which sets out the corporation’s agenda for the next five years.

"The most obvious project is that, with a good construction season, by late fall-early winter CentrePort Canada Way should be open," she said.
While 27 companies have opened new or expanded business facilities on 150 acres within CentrePort, further development of large-scale operations has hit a snag. A solution is needed in an international water rights dispute over the City of Winnipeg’s ability to provide water services to other municipalities. Brookside Industrial Park West is located in the RM of Rosser so water and wastewater services can’t be provided by Winnipeg even though a funding agreement to do so was signed.

According to the business plan, "Building on unserviced land restricts the size and scope of any new facility due to fire suppression regulations."

Gray said resolution of this situation is a top priority.

RM of Rosser reeve Frances Smee said a wastewater agreement is in the works and she’s confident the water service dispute will soon be resolved.

"We’re still moving ahead," she said.

READ MORE @:
By: Andrea Geary Posted: 04/12/2013 1:00 AM
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/our...202119431.html
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I take this as better use than usual news and hope it is resolved" SOON"..
Quote:
By Sarah Silbert posted Apr 22nd, 2013 at 2:43 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/22/f...-altoona-iowa/
Quote:
The free press article said 1.2 billion over 10 years, so very well could be the same one. The number of permanent jobs wouldn't be that many though. Regardless, Facebook said it was government privacy laws that nixed the project so, nothing that can be done from a local level about that.
Facebook DC went to Iowa ^^(link), reasoning behind it???.Biff has a better idea with his discussions with people behind the scenes.

hey really liked us but in the end, Facebook and Manitoba were never destined to friend.

Facebook pokes Manitoba
Social-media giant rejects province for data-farm

By: Dan Lett Posted: 05/6/2013

They really liked us but in the end, Facebook and Manitoba were never destined to friend.

Now that the deal is officially dead, details are starting to leak out about just how close Manitoba was to landing an enormous Facebook "data farm" on land in Headingley west of Winnipeg. The social-media giant spent months on in-depth site evaluation, only to withdraw from the project at the last moment because of concerns about Canadian privacy laws, sources confirmed.

Facebook came to Manitoba, the sources continued, because of low land costs and the availability of cheap, renewable energy. Data farms -- expansive warehouses full of high-powered servers necessary to store information from billions of users worldwide -- consume enormous amounts of electricity. As a social-media icon, Facebook reportedly puts a high price on accessing relatively clean energy for any of its large-scale developments, the type Manitoba Hydro can provide.

Ultimately, Facebook cited concerns about Canadian privacy laws in making its decision to pull out of Manitoba. Facebook has sparred with Canada's privacy commissioner in the past, and although privacy laws in the United States do differ significantly, sources close to the efforts to land the data farm said there was no hint of legal concerns until the very last moment.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...206232541.html

Take what you will from the above posted article?

Last edited by Cyro; Oct 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM. Reason: Added Article on FB reasoning

Old Posted Oct 11, 2013, 11:13 PM

Ok, so there is/was a water dispute holding up developments, just not the Facebook data farm. My mistake.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan