HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:12 PM
James

Quote:
COURTESY / QUADRANT INVESTMENT GROUP

A rendering of East End, a mixed-use development that will soon take the place of the RK Group’s offices and its parking lot near Sunset Station.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:23 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Oh, dats nice.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 2:02 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
That looks promising. Too bad it's not standing on end. But more important than height is creating a good area for humans to be, and this looks like it does that.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
That looks promising. Too bad it's not standing on end. But more important than height is creating a good area for humans to be, and this looks like it does that.
Those vast alamodome parking lots would be great if they could be developed. I wonder if it would be feasible to go to parking garages on one of the lots and then sell the other for some sort of development. Truly build up the area around the Alamodome so its not such a deadzone.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 4:26 PM

EXCELLENT article in the Rivard Report today on the lower Broadway developmet!
The article gives you a rundown on what is coming and what is proposed!
Can you believe all this new development on Broadway, people?? And there is lots MORE to come!!
And all due to the Riverwalk expansion to the north!
GREAT PLANNING!!!
What other American city has this jewel of a Riverwalk that was concieved and built decades ago?????
AWESOME!!!!!!
JUST SIMPLY AWESOME!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
The article gives you a rundown on what is coming and what is proposed!
Can you believe all this new development on Broadway, people?? And there is lots MORE to come!!
And all due to the Riverwalk expansion to the north!
GREAT PLANNING!!!
What other American city has this jewel of a Riverwalk that was concieved and built decades ago?????
AWESOME!!!!!!
JUST SIMPLY AWESOME!!!
All of those beer drinking emojis are making want to head to MK Davis...but yes, it will be great to see the developments come to fruition.

On a side note, I think Travis Park needs an overhaul. Not sure if its the landscape design or what but its not the most visually appealing green space.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
It's basically just a bullet point summary of everything that's already here on the forum. And some of it is stuff that's not even happening yet (if ever).

We have different expectations of what an "excellent" article is.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 10:01 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Those vast alamodome parking lots would be great if they could be developed. I wonder if it would be feasible to go to parking garages on one of the lots and then sell the other for some sort of development. Truly build up the area around the Alamodome so its not such a deadzone.
Ground level retail on the sides facing away from the stadium, with multiple levels of parking on top and garage entrances/exits on the stadium side.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
If we're talking deadzones, the AT&T Center ranks right up there. What an absolute farce that was. The Spurs should build their next arena on one of the parking lot sites near the Alamodome, bring the team and other events closer to the urban core. Imagine all the people filing out and then heading to southtown or downtown for a nightcap.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 2:45 AM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
If we're talking deadzones, the AT&T Center ranks right up there. What an absolute farce that was. The Spurs should build their next arena on one of the parking lot sites near the Alamodome, bring the team and other events closer to the urban core. Imagine all the people filing out and then heading to southtown or downtown for a nightcap.
There's still time. Stadiums normally outgrow their arena's after about 20-25 years. That's in about 10 years for the At&t center. I say... here is hoping!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:17 PM

Yet again, another EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT article in the Rivard Report today!!
This one is about the Canopy Hotel and the developer, Chris Hill.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
The original plan for the arena was supposed to be in the parking lot of the Alamodome, but the tax payers rejected it on the ballet. I never understood why the plan to tax the rental cars and hotels couldn't be used for a downtown arena. From what I remember the rental car/hotel tax was created once the location was proposed to be at the Coliseum and the rodeo would be sharing the facility.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:13 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Ground level retail on the sides facing away from the stadium, with multiple levels of parking on top and garage entrances/exits on the stadium side.
What about ground level retail/entertainment, then several "hidden" levels of parking, and top it off with office and/or residential?!?

Basically, try to create a 24-hour, live-work environment while also providing ample parking for events in the dome.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
What about ground level retail/entertainment, then several "hidden" levels of parking, and top it off with office and/or residential?!?

Basically, try to create a 24-hour, live-work environment while also providing ample parking for events in the dome.
This is my dream, and there's no reason why this couldn't also happen at the AT&T center.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 1:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post

That sounds great and I'm all for it. The reason I said retail on the other side of the stadium is because people parking at sporting events want to get out of their cars and into the game (or whatever event) quickly. There are often traffic jams because everyone is showing up at the same time. So it seems having ample entrances and exits on the stadium side would help traffic flow. As far as residential and retail go, people who lived there would probably want to face away from the stadium because of noise and traffic on game days, and the garage entrances/exits would take up property facing the stadium at ground level. But the corners could be a good space for a restaurant and bar... I mean you gotta get sports fans all drunk and roudy. But yes, retail on bottom, garage on the next five levels, apartments above that.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 7:40 PM

Hey people!!!

YET, once again another excellent article in the Rivard Report titled: Where I Liive: The 68 by David Robinson Jr.

Great write up of his INSIDE and INSIGHT view of urban living by Mr. Robinson!!!!

Do yourselves a favor, and if you have time read the article!

www.therivardreport.com

Oh, and yes, that is the Admiral's son who wrote the article!!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:35 AM

At the next HDRC meeting is a request to build, downtown at 423 S. Alamo, a new 9-story... hotel.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
At the next HDRC meeting is a request to build, downtown at 423 S. Alamo, a new 9-story... hotel.

https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...tions=&Search=
so many hotels...but I do like the infill

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:22 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Is that at the historic and beautiful German-English school complex (part of the Marriott)? Or the parking lot next door? If the former, that would be an atrocity.

edit: Nevermind, bad map reading skills on my part.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
so many hotels...but I do like the infill
San Antonio is a major tourist city in the country and I want to say the world too, due to the UNESCO Missions. And now that the Alamo restoration has begun, the need for more hotel rooms makes sense. I think the city planners and developers are looking beyond today!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio