HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's apples and oranges.

One was built from the ground up whose design started from scratch while the other is an expansion whose design had to play off an already established look.
Not at all, it's a valid comparison. I'm comparing how the buildings look from and interact with the street. The San Antonio convention center expansion has a grand opening next to the Hyatt with a lot of windows that is not very interesting and then there is nothing but a long flat blank wall. There is little concern for aesthetics.

The original expansion didn't look anything like the original space; It was nicer and more interesting; even more so than this latest expansion. They could have taken design elements of the first expansion and done much better. The new look reminds me more of the Grand Hyatt which was mostly terrible.

I walked by the Nashville building in the evening not knowing what it was and it was pretty grand. The San Antonio location really sucks because it's on the edge of a highway and there is no attempt to conceal that and there is also no reason for anyone to walk around the east side of the building.

I'm not sure if they ever had a budget to make something interesting, or if the that was spent moving the street. I always thought the better direction to expand was towards the park and Tower. That would helped both the convention center and park. That was one problem with the first expansion, there wasn't enough of an opening towards the park.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio