HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 1:22 PM

Lending rules push condo project in a new direction

Look like the St. Benedict Condos on the corner of Alamo will now go as rental units instead of for sale units.
I think this is good for the area. It will give a good mix of residents and 66 units is 66 units whether they are being rented or sold.

From BizJournal.com:

Quote:
For more than two years, Stephen W. Yndo has worked to create a hip new hub for urbanites — all within a 66-unit condo community called St. B’s. But plans have changed — at least for the short term. St. B’s is now being restructured as a rental community, Yndo says.
story continues....

also, on a side note;
the Neisner now has an extra floor. The framing is up over the top of the original roofline.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 24, 2009, 7:31 PM

why is that. were they not selling them fast enough

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:57 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
why is that. were they not selling them fast enough
I think it's better as rentals. Downtown/the urban core needs more rentals.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:05 PM

I think so too, especially since it will give people a chance to rent the "loft" before buying into another similar project. I also like any infill project that adds a higher density of residents than what the norm is for the given area. Its coming along slowly, too slow for some of us, but it is a step in the right direction either way.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 1:03 AM

What I didnt link about that youtube link it mentioned that there is no shortage of professional sports and shows the Dallas Mavs, but never showed the SA Spurs with 4 NBA championships.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:17 AM

Here's an interesting article that provides a few updates on Houston St. projects, including Hotel Indigo and Aloft.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 4:57 PM

Quote:
“They're just changing the complexion of it,” said McNeel, who is treasurer of the San Antonio Conservation Society. “And I don't understand why we can't get a good retail mix down there now. It's so sad.”
You don't understand????
WhaT?!?!?!?!?!?
Whats so hard to understand about this;
When there was retail on Houston Street, Loop 410 on the northside was about where the development ended in terms of larger scale retail. Since then(the early 90's), probably close to a million people have moved even farther north.
Here's an idea; focus on getting residents closer to the core instead of making them go to 410 or further to go shopping.While more hotels are not the answer, they do provide "temporary" residents, so that might equal more restaurants, more shopping? who know? but it provides some activity downtown.
If people like McNeel stop insisting on keeping everything old, we might have a new Houston St. on Broadway with River North. I walked by the other day and there are now a handful of galleries between the Indigo and Neisner with some setting up shop on Broadway; its a start and better than having them empty.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 6:17 PM
Bears of antiquity

It's not that they shouldn't "[keep] everything old," it's that they shouldn't be so averse to building new things down there. Measured and thoughtful growth is better than negative growth.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 4:55 PM

The City Hall Annex is now a shell of its former self. VIA is almost done with the info center next to Melrose. Columns are being poured for the first floor of Embassy. Work seems to have stalled at the retail strip that was to be on Alamo/Flores. Work is still being done at St. B's. Durango phase of VC seems to be getting ready to lay some foundation down. Also, the apartments near the old Stockyards seem to be up but not near completion.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 5:50 PM

Proposal to sell Healy-Murphy Park dies

Sounds like there is still demand for cheaper hotel rooms near downtown, and that the city really doesn't have any idea how they want the area to develop, anything goes.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...Park_dies.html
Quote:
A plan to sell Healy-Murphy Park to a hotel developer — for which Councilwoman Sheila McNeil dug in her heels against fierce opposition from neighborhood and civic groups — died Tuesday.

But just barely.

In a packed meeting room, the City Council's four-member quality of life committee split down the middle, effectively stopping the plan from moving to the full council for a vote.

After garnering just 4 percent of the vote in Saturday's mayoral contest, McNeil said the proposed park sale had been the last thing she wanted to accomplish on the council.

“This would have been a good deal,” she said, “but I can't win them all.”

McNeil again cast a sale of the 1-acre park to hotel developer La Villita del Rio Development, the sole bidder, as a way to wipe out blight and to bring jobs to the Near East Side.

In an area “in great need of economic opportunity,” she said, “it's a win-win for all of us if we have the courage to do this.”

An array of opponents has fought the proposal, including the San Antonio Conservation Society, the Dignowity Hill Neighborhood Association and the Salvation Army, which runs an adjacent homeless shelter. And they were out again Tuesday.

“I'm a little disgusted with the process,” said Jose Macias Jr., the Salvation Army's director of development.

The push to unload the park, he added, appeared to have no justification.

The Salvation Army sold the property to the city for $10 in 1978 to use as a park. But the property, at 201 Nolan St., has become a hangout for drug users and homeless people.

City staff on Tuesday recommended against moving ahead with the plan. That's because the hotel developer's bid of $350,000 fell far below the property's latest appraised value of $430,000, according to Xavier Urrutia, the city's parks and recreation director.

To clean up the park, the city could consider leasing the property to a nonprofit, partnering with nearby neighborhood groups to develop a community garden or promoting a corporate adopt-a-park program, he said.

Councilwomen Diane Cibrian and Mary Alice Cisneros sided against putting the sale on a future council agenda, while Delicia Herrera, the committee's chairwoman, and Jennifer Ramos supported the move.

Cisneros' motion to stop the proposal failed 2-2, but Ramos couldn't get a second to move it ahead because Herrera, as chairwoman, couldn't weigh in.

Cibrian, who also fared poorly in the mayor's race, said she worried that a sale would set a precedent allowing the city to shirk the responsibility to maintain its parks.

Apart from McNeil, two people — a minister and restaurant owner Pat McKinley — spoke up for the plan Tuesday.

“We need to develop for the East Side,” said McKinley, owner of Pat's BBQ.

The opponents, many of who say the community had too little say in the process, have been far more visible.

At a public hearing Feb. 17, about 20 people blasted the plan. Many of the speakers wanted the city to clean up the property and beef up police patrols instead.

Both candidates in the June 13 runoff to replace the term-limited McNeil in District 2, Ivy Taylor and Byron Miller, have said they are against the proposed sale. Indeed, Taylor turned up at the committee meeting Tuesday to voice her opposition.

Also, on March 23, the city's Parks and Recreation Board unanimously sided against it because of community opposition and a low bid from La Villita del Rio Development, which built the Comfort Suites hotel across the street.

The development company's Shawn Chaudhry said the aim was to build a 50- to 70-room limited-service hotel on the site, which includes the historic Dulnig House. He also said the company was willing to raise its bid to $430,000, the appraised value, but to no avail.

Old Posted May 13, 2009, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Sounds like there is still demand for cheaper hotel rooms near downtown, and that the city really doesn't have any idea how they want the area to develop, anything goes.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...Park_dies.html
The last thing that is needed is another cheap motel, but that doesn't mean that it should be left as a "park."

What does the city have planned for Nolan St.? Should it extend the River North Plan all the way to the tracks on the East? Should it extend St. Pauls Sq. plan to the north to create some sort of uniform plan of development? I think either one of these ideas would be better than no plan for development.

With no plan though, I think it should be developed to residential/office mixed-use to create even more of a buffer to 37 and the tracks. I would like to see something along the lines of the Travis Lofts more so than the nearby W.C. White Apartments to bring the front to the street. Just my own ideas.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:15 AM

Found at alc-partners.com
You can see the Vistana in the skyline.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 6:32 AM

Vistana

Looks nice but it would be nicer if it was a little taller. It would stand out more from 281. Hell, it would stand out more from many areas of SA. Still a good addition to dt.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 3:35 PM

No question that's the best downtown angle from a density standpoint, even if hides ToA a bit too much.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 4:43 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
No question that's the best downtown angle from a density standpoint, even if hides ToA a bit too much.
I prefer this one...which of course now has the Grand Hyatt taking up much of the open space...

Also, you can add to this one the Courtyard, Valencia, Vistana, and (soon) Embassy Suites...

from http://www.myweatherpage.com/images/...io_Skyline.jpg

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:36 PM

Oh yeah, there's lots of good angles (though arguably just as many bad ones), I just like the first one in particular because of the spatial relationships of the buildings.

Another of my favorites is from Bandera south of Evers. You really get a good view of all "the six" from there.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 5:48 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Oh yeah, there's lots of good angles (though arguably just as many bad ones), I just like the first one in particular because of the spatial relationships of the buildings.

Another of my favorites is from Bandera south of Evers. You really get a good view of all "the six" from there.
that would be a great thread - worst skyline angles and shots.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I prefer this one...which of course now has the Grand Hyatt taking up much of the open space...

Also, you can add to this one the Courtyard, Valencia, Vistana, and (soon) Embassy Suites...

from http://www.myweatherpage.com/images/...io_Skyline.jpg
This is my favorite view of downtown. It was this view in a few postcards that I had bought as a teenager years ago that got me into collecting postcards of city skylines. It's such a beautiful view and it really shows off the night time skyline. That view brings back some good memories of really the first time I had seen San Antonio's skyline in a postcard view since I had begun to become interested in cities. Good memories.

Does anyone know exactly where that view is? I'd love to see it in person and photograph it sometime.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This is my favorite view of downtown. It was this view in a few postcards that I had bought as a teenager years ago that got me into collecting postcards of city skylines. It's such a beautiful view and it really shows off the night time skyline. That view brings back some good memories of really the first time I had seen San Antonio's skyline in a postcard view since I had begun to become interested in cities. Good memories.

Does anyone know exactly where that view is? I'd love to see it in person and photograph it sometime.
Could be a zoom in from just north of San Pedro Park or either of the apartments in Tobin Hill or the other ones near SP park. IDK, just a guess. Didn't someone take a photo once from their grandpa's "penthouse" that has this similar view?
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted May 14, 2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Also makes it difficult to see the Marriott rivercenter...
"Damn you, Grand Hyatt!!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio