HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 9:34 PM

[Dartmouth] 217 Waverley Road | 41 M | 13 FL | Proposed

New project for Port Wallace.

Case 2023-01550: 217 WAVERLEY ROAD

The applicant wishes to rezone and enter into a development agreement to allow a 13-storey residential building with 141 units and 2 levels of underground parking. The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• The existing single unit dwelling on the site will be demolished
• The building is set back 20m from Lake Micmac
• New tree plantings are proposed with the 20m setback from the lake
• The building will use the existing driveway on the site to access the development
• Both surface parking and underground parking are proposed. An existing surface parking lot containing 74 spaces is to be maintained and an additional 15 surface parking spaces are to be added. The two levels of underground parking within the building will contain 172 spaces.
• The building will have 47 one-bedroom units and 94 two-bedroom units with common amenity areas on levels 2 and 13

There are full renderings and plans on the planning website. It should also be noted that the building will be set near the lake and not Waverley Road. The land will be subdivided and the front portion that is currently a parking lot for Mic Mac Bar & Grill may be redeveloped in the future with a mid-rise, mixed-use building.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
New project for Port Wallace.

Case 2023-01550: 217 WAVERLEY ROAD

The applicant wishes to rezone and enter into a development agreement to allow a 13-storey residential building with 141 units and 2 levels of underground parking. The major aspects of the proposal are as follows:
• The existing single unit dwelling on the site will be demolished
• The building is set back 20m from Lake Micmac
• New tree plantings are proposed with the 20m setback from the lake
• The building will use the existing driveway on the site to access the development
• Both surface parking and underground parking are proposed. An existing surface parking lot containing 74 spaces is to be maintained and an additional 15 surface parking spaces are to be added. The two levels of underground parking within the building will contain 172 spaces.
• The building will have 47 one-bedroom units and 94 two-bedroom units with common amenity areas on levels 2 and 13

There are full renderings and plans on the planning website. It should also be noted that the building will be set near the lake and not Waverley Road. The land will be subdivided and the front portion that is currently a parking lot for Mic Mac Bar & Grill may be redeveloped in the future with a mid-rise, mixed-use building.

I hope they have a plan for parking if they do develop that lot in the future. Mic Mac Bar and Grill is a hopping place!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 7:31 PM

I'm a little surprised about this project and how it looks like it will be demolishing the existing single family homes in the corner to build the tallest building in the area. Also less ideal they have to keep such a large parking lot, which would be better used as housing imo (I understand is necessary for the commercial businesses).

That small area on Waverly is gaining so much density with The Bello further down and the new Nine Locks building anchoring it all. Good thing they upgraded their brewing capacity!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 8:29 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuckinsky View Post
Also less ideal they have to keep such a large parking lot, which would be better used as housing imo (I understand is necessary for the commercial businesses).
I don't have strong feelings about the towers themselves but the site plans for these semi-suburban tower sites are often pretty bad. They are like 70's strip malls with residential levels on top.

It makes even less sense when there is some underground parking and then half the site is surface parking.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't have strong feelings about the towers themselves but the site plans for these semi-suburban tower sites are often pretty bad. They are like 70's strip malls with residential levels on top.

It makes even less sense when there is some underground parking and then half the site is surface parking.
I believe the same family that runs the nearby Mic Mac beverage room, recently rebuilt and completely modernized, are the Folks proposing this
development. The open parking is needed when the Beverage room is open. A VERY successful business.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 10:58 PM

Agreed, the site plan looks like caca. Hope whoever moves here enjoys sitting in lots of traffic.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
Agreed, the site plan looks like caca. Hope whoever moves here enjoys sitting in lots of traffic.
Good spot for a 4-way stop.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Good spot for a 4-way stop.
Waiting for the inevitable comment that a roundabout would fix all traffic issues here.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 12:28 PM

141 units to be added and we're worrying about traffic? Why do we always assume that every resident will be leaving and arriving at the same time? Plus, the area is well-served by transit (route 55 stops at Mic Mac Mall, the Alderney ferry terminal and the Bridge Terminal) and has bike lanes. Meanwhile, whenever some NIMBY complains about traffic as a reason to not build a highrise somewhere on the peninsula, the pitchforks come out.

Looks decent enough for the setting, and it's smart to maintain the surface parking to accommodate the nearby business, which has become a pillar of the community over the decades that it has served good food for reasonable prices.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Waiting for the inevitable comment that a roundabout would fix all traffic issues here.
I almost wrote roundabout, but then realized that wouldn't be put in for a private intersection.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
141 units to be added and we're worrying about traffic? Why do we always assume that every resident will be leaving and arriving at the same time? Plus, the area is well-served by transit (route 55 stops at Mic Mac Mall, the Alderney ferry terminal and the Bridge Terminal) and has bike lanes. Meanwhile, whenever some NIMBY complains about traffic as a reason to not build a highrise somewhere on the peninsula, the pitchforks come out.

Looks decent enough for the setting, and it's smart to maintain the surface parking to accommodate the nearby business, which has become a pillar of the community over the decades that it has served good food for reasonable prices.
It has been so popular that it can be tricky getting in and out of there.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
It has been so popular that it can be tricky getting in and out of there.
I didn’t realize that there was already a traffic problem there. I’ve been there twice in recent months and didn’t observe this, but it wasn’t at peak times.

I still doubt that adding an apartment building to the location is a bad idea that will result in people “sitting in lots of traffic”…

JMHO

Old Posted Nov 2, 2023, 6:09 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I didn’t realize that there was already a traffic problem there. I’ve been there twice in recent months and didn’t observe this, but it wasn’t at peak times.

I still doubt that adding an apartment building to the location is a bad idea that will result in people “sitting in lots of traffic”…

JMHO
I have been there at on and off peak times. I cannot say it's that bad. Will you need to wait to make a left turn? Maybe, but it's not the end of the world traffic at all.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 3:53 PM

Rendering from Root Architecture, more at the link:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs