HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Oct 3, 2023, 10:53 PM

[Bedford] The Honeycote (1262 Bedford Highway) | 22 M | 8 FL | Proposed

New project for Old/Central Bedford at the corner of Bedford Highway and Meadowbrook Drive.

"Application by Fathom, on behalf of the property owner, requesting to enter into a heritage development agreement on the lands at 1262 Bedford Highway, which would allow an 8-storey residential tower.

Background

1262 Bedford Highway, known as ‘Honeycote’, was registered as a heritage property in 2021. Honeycote contains a one-and-a-half storey building that was designed in the classical Vernacular style and was constructed between 1855 and 1858.

Proposal

The applicant has applied to enter into a Development Agreement on the property to permit a 8-storey residential building on a registered heritage property. This development agreement is being considered under the Bedford Highway Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy.

A key element of the proposal is the relocation, rehabilitation, and preservation of the registered heritage building. The heritage building will be relocated closer to Bedford Highway and incorporated into the new construction with a one-storey breezeway connection between the two buildings"

There are renderings and more details on the HRM Planning website.

PLANAPP 2023-00942 Case Details

Old Posted Oct 6, 2023, 1:14 PM

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 1:46 PM
Cap the Cut!

Generally I'm a fan of mixing old and new as I think the new makes the old 'pop' and draws more attention to the old. But that doesn't seem to be happening here. This simply looks like a building has been built too close to a house. It's uncomfortable to look at. Perhaps reality will be better than rendering?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2023, 4:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Generally I'm a fan of mixing old and new as I think the new makes the old 'pop' and draws more attention to the old. But that doesn't seem to be happening here. This simply looks like a building has been built too close to a house. It's uncomfortable to look at. Perhaps reality will be better than rendering?
There are trade-offs around all these rules, like height limits, setbacks, or allowing multiple unattached structures vs. attached. I think sometimes the developments get better when the rules are relaxed. Maybe the right thing here is just to move the house.

A lot of historic houses used to get torn down because they had low lot coverage.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 11:32 AM

"The heritage building will be relocated closer to Bedford Highway and incorporated into the new construction with a one-storey breezeway connection between the two buildings"

Is this common practice? If so, what will be the use of the heritage house?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
... Perhaps reality will be better than rendering?
I am trying hard to think of an example where this was the case.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2023, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
"The heritage building will be relocated closer to Bedford Highway and incorporated into the new construction with a one-storey breezeway connection between the two buildings"

Is this common practice? If so, what will be the use of the heritage house?
I can't say whether it's "common," but the link that Dmajackson provided leads to HRM's project page for this proposal. It includes a set of drawings and they show how the heritage property is meant to be used. From HRM's project page, you can click on the link for floorplans. Looks to me like the lowest level is mechanical-type spaces, level 1 is a suite and some lobby space, and level two is a continuation of the suite from level 1.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs