HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
There are signs for a new Indian and Pakistani restaurant, named "Desi Meal", in the shopping centre on
27 Elizabeth Ave (across from the closed Canadian Tire), where Eat Clean Healhty Grill was previously located. I don't believe it is open yet, and I don't see any information online, but they did pass food inspection last month ( http://www.servicenl.gov.nl.ca/inspe...Rpt_191956.pdf ), so hopefully they are openning soon. More curry, please.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Woody's BBQ is Now Open on Water Street, and no offense to whoever owns the place, but opening a brand new Franchise Restaurant with a Vinyl banner being your only Signage outside , screams cheapness and inexperience to me.

Can you see THE KEG , or Swiss Chalet, or Tim Horton's opening up without proper Signs ?

If this is a (No Pun Intended ), sign of how they plan to operate this new restaurant, then in my opinion they should just lock the doors now and save themselves a lot of money and frustration. First impressions are everything in the restaurant business, and my first impression of this place, is that they have no idea what they are getting themselves in to.

Just my 2 cents
This could just be temporary until they wait for their permanent signage to go up. There could easily be delays and the business had a scheduled start date. Remains to been seen...

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 10:48 AM

In pretty much every standard Franchise Agreement, there are very specific rules governing SIGNAGE. The Franchise will do everything in their power to protect their brand, and the Franchisee must follow these rules down to the very letter. So the fact that, that this was allowed to open with such poor display of signage tells me 2 things: 1. The Franchise itself is Slack, because again , no major Franchise that I know of would never allow this to happen and possibly damage their brand. No if and's or buts , they would have to postpone their opening until they correct signs arrived. and 2. See my earlier post . Anyway I wish them the best of luck, but its funny how first impressions are.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Get your wallet ready, as Desi Meal's Indian and Pakistani restaurant on 27 Elizabeth Ave is now open. The menu is simple, which I think is a good strategy. Korma and keema and naan, oh my!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Get your wallet ready, as Desi Meal's Indian and Pakistani restaurant on 27 Elizabeth Ave is now open. The menu is simple, which I think is a good strategy. Korma and keema and naan, oh my!

I like simple menus. It's about quality not quantity. Loves me some middle eastern food! Can't wait to try.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:

any word on price? looks good tho

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
This could just be temporary until they wait for their permanent signage to go up. There could easily be delays and the business had a scheduled start date. Remains to been seen...
Their sign application has been recommended for rejection by the Heritage Committee because it doesn't meet the bi-law requirements. I guess they couldn't hold up their opening because of that....welcome to St. John's.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Their sign application has been recommended for rejection by the Heritage Committee because it doesn't meet the bi-law requirements. I guess they couldn't hold up their opening because of that....welcome to St. John's.
So I guess there was a delay after all... only due to the city. I wonder what the franchise will do now? I guess they will try to design something to fit with the by-laws???? Friggin' city!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Their sign application has been recommended for rejection by the Heritage Committee because it doesn't meet the bi-law requirements.
Maybe the Heritage Advisory Committee made the right call. Arguably the oldest street in North America could do without a 20' by 3' glowing red and white banner from a Florida franchise. Or maybe I'm just irrationally critical of Florida franchises.

I find the city to be relatively lax on signage regulation downtown. This was the storefront of the 7-Eleven on Charles Street in Boston, until the store was gentrified out of Beacon Hill.

(photo credit to Will Cary)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 2:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Or the McDonald's in Freeport ME

The town of Freeport was adamant (when McDonald's bought this property) that they were not going to allow the character of their Main Street to change. McDonald's blinked, and decided to renovate the existing house on the property rather than build one of their generic outlets. I think everyone won on this. This particular McDonald's is very popular........

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:46 PM

This is so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Or the McDonald's in Freeport ME

The town of Freeport was adamant (when McDonald's bought this property) that they were not going to allow the character of their Main Street to change. McDonald's blinked, and decided to renovate the existing house on the property rather than build one of their generic outlets. I think everyone won on this. This particular McDonald's is very popular........

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 3:48 PM

I guess this is why they only have a vinyl banner hanging there now until they get the proper sign and approval. The Woody's sign looks so tacky though.

Quote:
Maybe the Heritage Advisory Committee made the right call. Arguably the oldest street in North America could do without a 20' by 3' glowing red and white banner from a Florida franchise. Or maybe I'm just irrationally critical of Florida franchises.

I find the city to be relatively lax on signage regulation downtown. This was the storefront of the 7-Eleven on Charles Street in Boston, until the store was gentrified out of Beacon Hill.

(photo credit to Will Cary)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:30 AM

Lots of happenings in the Restaurant world around St.John's:

1. Rio Brazilian Steakhouse is now being converted to something called CHANG'S . I am guessing it is an Asian restaurant of some sort. Very puzzling because now there will be 3 Asian inspired places next to each other ( Chang's, the second Wok Box location, Canton across the street ). Got my doubts this will work for them , don't expect it to last.

2. Freshii opening 1st St. John's location on Topsail Road. Nice choice for the health conscience amongst us.

3. Kelsey's on Kenmount Road should be opening soon. This will be Insanely busy for the first 6 months, just like every other food franchise when they open in St. John's. Cara brand runs most of their places very well, so this should take a big chunk of business away from a lot of current places.

4. NF Fish Market announced to be opening in December. Downtown location at 351 Water. Interesting concept which should work, as long as the Moore's allow the Executive chef to have complete Menu control, and do not add Burgers, Fries, Chicken Wings and Pizza like they did with Legros and Motti

5. Boston Pizza on Water chugging along. Should be opening after Christmas. Why we need a third Boston Pizza in St. John's is anybody's guess

6. Woody's BBQ on Water is now open. Best of Luck to them. Personally think they will close within a year. In my opinion, it is the Wrong location choice for them, too many big name franchises downtown that will crush them.

7. Bier Market is Coming to the old keg Location

8. Smitty's is opening in Churchill Square, in the old A&W Location.

Of course , as all these new places open, many other older places will close. May the best survive.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Of course , as all these new places open, many other older places will close. May the best survive.
Spoken like a true capitalist! As cruel as it may sound, competition is what we want, that's what keeps the better restaurants going and weeds out the weaker ones and, subsequently, paves the way for more to come on scene. Free market enterprise... we need more of it!

Thanks for the list BTW.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:31 PM

Will be great to be back home for Christmas to try out a bunch of new places

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:36 PM

Burger King is going on Ropewalk Lane also between Tim's and the new KFC there.

Not sure but didn't someone say that there's a national brand food franchise going in that new huge gas bar project on Southlands Boulevard?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:57 PM

Gas bar on Southlands BLVD , looks to me like it's going to be a North Atlantic Station. It's a very big building, so weather anything else is slated to go there along with the gas bar, is anybody's guess. Personally think it would be a great location for something new in the take-out industry -- something like a Taco Bell would be interesting. But I'm sure it'll end up being another coffee shop --- just what we need !

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Gas bar on Southlands BLVD , looks to me like it's going to be a North Atlantic Station. It's a very big building, so weather anything else is slated to go there along with the gas bar, is anybody's guess. Personally think it would be a great location for something new in the take-out industry -- something like a Taco Bell would be interesting. But I'm sure it'll end up being another coffee shop --- just what we need !
The application before council said a gas bar, convenience store, national coffee chain and national fast food chain. There was no mention of what chains, but after a drive by last week, I agree that it will be a North Atlantic as the design in the middle of the building seems to be taking the shape of an Orange Store. My guess is that the food and coffee outlets will occupy both ends with the Orange Store in the middle leaving them free to have drive thru's.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:50 PM

Marie's Mini Mart is coming to Kenmount Terrace. I noticed a construction site a while back on Kiwanis Street next to the new church. They now have a sign stating that a Marie's will be coming soon. I know residents have been wanting a convenience store in the area for some time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 7:58 PM

Kelsey's on Kenmount Road is getting close to being finished both inside and out. I'm guessing they will be trying to open this restaurant before Christmas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's