HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

I was at Kent's in Mount Pearl a couple of days ago and noticed in the distance a building being constructed up around Kenmount hill (maybe in the Walton's mountain/Farrell Dr area). The building seems fairly large, at least it did from my viewpoint. Does anyone know what this building is? Maybe it's been mentioned here before but I can't seem to put my finger on it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2012, 11:48 PM

Was driving by the site of my old school...St. Teresa's on Mundy Pond Road which has finally been demolished and I took this photo of a rendering put up on a sign showing what the new replacement school is gonna look like. It's pretty colourful for sure.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 12:51 PM

The new Kent Building Supplies store in CBS opened this past Saturday.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 2:41 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Completely stumbled across this while viewing Eastport's website. Just lucky timing I guess, as it seems this only just happened today.

EAST PORT PROPERTIES SHINES A LIGHT ON NEW ERA OF INDUSTRIAL REAL ESTATE - June 27th, 2012
Quote:
Mount Pearl, NL – This morning marked the official unveiling of The Beclin Business Park – the bright and sustainable future of industrial real estate in Mount Pearl.

Developed by East Port Properties Limited (East Port), The Beclin marks the beginning of a new age in sustainable warehouses. The warehouses are the first to be constructed to the Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED®)international green building certification guidelines in Newfoundland and Labrador.
SOURCE: http://eastportproperties.ca/beclinm...%20Release.pdf

More information: http://eastportproperties.ca/?q=cont...-business-park

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 8:42 PM

"The Beclin" is well under construction. It looks to be near ready for occupancy.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Lights off for East Port properties

East Port Properties president John Lindsay demonstrated a crucial technological innovation at the grand opening of the Beclin Business Park Wednesday: windows.

To demonstrate one of the ways the new business park plans to save money on operating costs — others include efficient lighting and better insulation — Lindsay had the lights turned off to plunge the warehouse, and the attending officials and potential customers, into darkness, before the structure’s skylights were uncovered, flooding the warehouse — despite the overcast day — with natural light.

“Electric sensors dim and turn off the electric light when the natural light delivers the full lumen requirement,” he said, adding that the natural light doesn’t only save electricity costs, but also delivers a “superior and inspiring” work environment.

‘New breed of warehouse buildings’

“As a contrast to the past, we wanted to bring something new to the greater St. John’s industrial marketplace. And this building we are in today is the first of new breed of warehouse buildings,” he said. “Instead of the long, flat buildings you can see anywhere, we’ve created a distinct architectural look that gives a big nod to the row houses of downtown St. John’s.”

The business park will eventually comprise six new concrete buildings, and the warehouses are the first in the province built to conform to Leadership in Energy and Environment Design certification guidelines. Lindsay said the design considered not just the buildings, but also the people who would be using them.

“Keeping people in mind also means supporting active living and transportation, with showers and bike lockers, and you see out there our electrical vehicle charging stations to encourage alternative transportation,” he said.

The warehouse housing the official opening is a six-bay, 30,0000-square-foot structure, already two-thirds leased. When the park is completed, it will have 250,000 square feet in the six buildings.

The second building — 40,000 square feet — is already half-leased, by a single tenant due to move in after the building’s completion next month, and East Port is “scratching the dirt” as it prepares to start building the third warehouse, said Lindsay.

The time frame for completing all six is entirely based on the market, he said, but work on the buildings, as well as interest in leasing from customers, has progressed more quickly than expected. “We’re looking at ourselves probably in the next three to four years having all six buildings fully developed.”

Lindsay told The Telegram the company thinks such environmental certification is the future of warehousing.

“Long-term energy efficiency and people operating smarter, i.e. using free natural light instead of burning electricity to make light. Using good insulation so that you don’t have to create heat constantly, you just create it and hold it, because the insulation value holds it.It also is a much more comfortable environment when you are in an extremely well-insulated building.”
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...t-properties/1

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 1:19 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie View Post
"The Beclin" is well under construction. It looks to be near ready for occupancy.
Yeah, the article wasn't a proposal, it was the unveiling / ribbon-cutting that occurred yesterday.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copes View Post
Yeah, the article wasn't a proposal, it was the unveiling / ribbon-cutting that occurred yesterday.
Looks like they just painted fake facades on the building (a kind of architectural cop out).
Not quite as exciting as they made it out to be, but it is a warehouse after all.

http://eastportproperties.ca/?q=cont...-business-park

Last edited by Architype; Jun 29, 2012 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I was at Kent's in Mount Pearl a couple of days ago and noticed in the distance a building being constructed up around Kenmount hill (maybe in the Walton's mountain/Farrell Dr area). The building seems fairly large, at least it did from my viewpoint. Does anyone know what this building is? Maybe it's been mentioned here before but I can't seem to put my finger on it.
Just to answer my question... the building in question, I believe, is the new Beclin Business Park.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I found info on it!

Westdale Grove Condominiums

http://www.remax.nf.ca/default.aspx?...isting&l=38557

Actual site:
http://www.westdalegrove.ca/area.php
I drove up Brookfield Rd today and noticed that the building steel is complete for this development. A couple things: yes it's steel framed construction which I think is rare (unique?) for local condo development, and they've preserved most of the large trees on the mature lot which bodes well for curb appeal and future landscaping.

I'll try and grab a progress pic next time I'm through there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 12:14 PM

Southlands set to grow again

Quote:
Piece by piece, the land collectively known as Southlands in St. John’s has been offered up by the Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corp. (NLHC) to private developers.

The latest tender call has just closed, according to NLHC chairman and chief executive officer Len Simms, who spoke with The Telegram this week.

“The tender has closed and we have a high bidder, but we can’t release any other details on it because until you get the cheque in your hands, it’s not finalized,” he said.

The tender covers Area 9 through Area 12 — four new phases of residential development.

The original plan for the whole of Southlands, created in the 1990s, would have seen NLHC developing the community. That was when the corporation was in the business of urban planning and community development.

The province decided to end the corporation’s involvement in land development around 1998, Simms noted, and it was ordered to divest of land holdings and refocus on providing affordable housing units.

The first phase of Southlands was developed under NLHC, but next came a tender call for private development of Area 2 and Area 5.

That first deal included a stipulation no further land be offered up for at least seven years, Simms said, accounting for the slow start to the Southlands community.

“Areas 3 and 4 were sold in 2010,” he said, before noting the recent sale of Areas 9 through 12 followed after.

Special sale

The latest deal is unique, Simms said, in the sense it includes a stipulation the developer include smaller-sized homes within its planned construction.

The move is expected to result in as many as 100 new homes being built at a size potentially more affordable for entry-level buyers, compared to the more expensive homes built at the larger end of the scale.
Simms emphasized housing affordability in the city is a very different issue from the NLHC’s focus on the availability of affordable housing units.

That said, he explained, affordable housing units could not be stipulated in a land deal, but the corporation was presented with an opportunity to play a role in addressing housing affordability, by calling for some smaller homes to be included in the new residential areas.

Meanwhile, the City of St. John’s is looking into new additions of its own to Southlands.

For example, in early March, the city approved spending $60,000 for a concept plan for a new Southlands community centre.In speaking with The Telegram this past week, chairman of the City of St. John’s planning and housing committee, Coun. Tom Hann, said a much-talked-about development around Southlands, said to be backed by former premier Danny Williams, has yet to be formerly proposed.

Even so, Hann expects the development will be put forward. He would not hazard a public guess as to when. That development is rumoured to be valued at the multi-billion dollar level, will run between Southlands and Cochrane Pond, and is expected to rival the size of the Town of Gander.

The City of St. John’s paved the way for such a proposal, when it voted to amend the municipal plan and allow development above the city’s 190-metre contour line.
http://www.thetelegram.com/Business/...o-grow-again/1

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Millennial Ascendancy

Here's a question. This is more for work than for personal interest, but I was going through the Province's "Inventory of Major Capital Projects" document (good read by the way: http://www.economics.gov.nl.ca/E2012...alProjects.pdf) and there was a subdivision in CBS I can find almost no information on. The subdivision is being built by "Wrightland Development Corporation", will have 113 lots, and will be known as "Sunset Landing". I can find no information on this. Anyone know anything? Particularly, where its located?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2012, 5:57 PM

What's the latest on the development of the Kenmount/Topsail overpass. Brian madore mumbled something about it on vocm this morning but, as usual, it's probably just hearsay

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 1:23 PM

Paradise Growing Fast

Quote:
The numbers just keep increasing in Paradise as that town remains Atlantic Canada's fastest growing municipality. There have been 245 new housing starts and 17 new commercial buildings in Paradise since January of this year, and today the town celebrates another milestone. Mayor Ralph Wiseman says the town of Paradise, in conjunction with developer Karwood Estates, will open phase three of the Octagon Pond industrial park, known as Bremigen's Pond Industrial Park. Mayor Wiseman says the approximately 90 acre park is located adjacent to the existing industrial area on Kenmount Road, and will bring significant revenues and business expansion to Paradise. Developer Hubert Hussey of Karwood Estates says this new phase will complement other businesses in the area.
This is good, I can see Paradise becoming a city in the not too distant future and I think if they densified key areas (in a smart way) especially along topsail road they could have centers like a downtown. One key area would be on Topsail road in the area of the supermarket and also further up topsail road where town hall is, is another area I could see with some more urban type buildings.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 9:57 PM

Paradise Moves Forward With Industrial Development

Here's another story about the Paradise Industrial Park expansion:

Source: VOCM, Aug 23, 2012.

Quote:
The official ribbon cutting for the next phase of development in one of Paradise's industrial parks went ahead this morning. The Town of Paradise, together with Karwood Estates, officially started Phase Three of the Octagon Pond Industrial Park, known as Bremigen's Pond Industrial Park. The industrial development project will continue from the corner of Kenmount Road and McNamara Drive to a newly-paved road where water and sewer has already been installed.

Mayor Ralph Wiseman was on hand to cut the ribbon, opening the road to future businesses. In fact, Wiseman says, there's already construction starting in one of the new lots. Wiseman says the roughly 90 acres will become an economic stabilizer for Paradise -- the fastest growing community in Atlantic Canada. Hubert Hussey of Karwood Estates says this new phase will complement other businesses that are already thriving in the area.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...26027&latest=1

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 6:04 PM

Condos: Best Bang for New Buyers' Bucks

Thought I'd post this story in this thread seeing it references the Blackmarsh Rd. condos.

Source: VOCM, Sept 3, 2012

Quote:
The number of condominiums in the metro area has increased steadily over the past few years, and there are several new condo developments under construction. Remax Plus Realty's Jim Burton says it's an interesting part of the local market that seems to be gaining momentum. The man behind Team Burton says the condo's appeal ranges from first-time buyers to older couples whose children left home. Burton says there is a change in the city's market with several condo projects being developed and each has its own attractiveness.

He says the Blackmarsh Road condo project features a 1,000 ft. unit for about $215,000. With 50 per cent of the St. John's market said to be first-time buyers, he says that option is a smart opportunity for them to get into home ownership.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...26319&latest=1

Old Posted Sep 3, 2012, 7:00 PM

I was driving up Old Placentia Road in Mount Pearl earlier today and noticed construction is up and going on the Pearlgate recreational multiplex. I was searching on the net for some pictures to post but didn't have much luck. I did, however, find a link to the building's layout:

http://www.mountpearl.ca/ckfinder/us...lex%20info.pdf

Another interesting thing I noticed was the fence surrounding the construction site was full of graffiti art. This was commissioned by the city of Mount Pearl and was called, "Aim is Fame Mural Jam". I've attached links describing the initiative and pictures; it's pretty neat.

http://mountpearl.ca/?Content=Residents/Whats_New-01/

http://mountpearl.ca/ckfinder/userfi...0low%20dpi.pdf

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 11:38 PM

Hey all, below is a rendering of the new hockey arena to be built in CBS. Nothing spectacular by no means but hey, it's just a hockey arena - definitely needed given the demand in the area.

http://www.conceptionbaysouth.ca/wp-...Cover-Page.pdf

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:11 AM

Paradise and St. John’s are getting closer than ever

Looks like Paradise is encroaching on St. John's space.... All jokes aside, at least this shows some glimmer of hope that regional cooperation can exist between the NE Avalon municipalities.

Source: The Telegram, Sept 19, 2012

Quote:
A large Paradise subdivision could soon spill over into St. John’s.
Paradise Properties Ltd. is proposing a residential development that would extend Elizabeth Park over the town’s boundaries and into the capital city.
Of the 250 homes in the preliminary plan, 170 would be in St. John’s.

The houses and streets would only be accessible through Paradise, and staff from the municipalities are trying to hammer out a services arrangement.
It would see St. John’s collecting taxes from residents within its boundaries and then paying Paradise to provide them with services such as garbage collection and snowclearing.

“We’re working out the details,” Paradise Mayor Ralph Wiseman said. “It’s premature to comment on it any more than that.”

Tom Hann, the St. John’s councillor who heads the city’s planning and housing committee, said the proposed development is a good example of how regional co-operation can work.

“We’re hoping that we can reach some sort of agreement,” he said, adding he’d like this development to prompt more co-operation between metro area municipalities.

Developments that transcend municipal borders are relatively rare.
The Brookfield Plains subdivision on the old Sprung Greenhouse property is often cited as an example, but that development is entirely in St. John’s. However, It can only be accessed through Mount Pearl.

The Telegram was unable to contact anyone at Paradise Properties Ltd.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Hey all, below is a rendering of the new hockey arena to be built in CBS. Nothing spectacular by no means but hey, it's just a hockey arena - definitely needed given the demand in the area.

http://www.conceptionbaysouth.ca/wp-...Cover-Page.pdf
I dont think it's so bad, at least it has a nice entrance

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's