HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:23 PM

So the circle is some sort of buffer around the mysterious communications station. Well that's an unfortunate feature... rather than Central Park, Glencrest gets the mysterious buffer zone of scraggy spruce and bog.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:29 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And, instead of a functioning urban community, they get more suburban sprawl.

Have fun driving all the way from Glencrest anytime you need absolutely anything not already in your house, guys...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
And, instead of a functioning urban community, they get more suburban sprawl.

Have fun driving all the way from Glencrest anytime you need absolutely anything not already in your house, guys...
clam signal .. take a few deep breaths hahaha

we still do not know the plan.. the information we have now is the same as has always been released (we are just dissecting what we know now, I velieve that those maps are just generalized) so I'm sure there is much more to come

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:36 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I suck at calm - whether thrilled or upset.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:36 PM

also remember that this will take 20 years to complete so the details are far from known right now. so Apparently there will be a concept plan released soon as well as 4 major proposals

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 3:38 PM

Quote:
I suck at calm - whether thrilled or upset.
Don't you have more faith in God- err I mean Danny ? hahahaha

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
So the circle is some sort of buffer around the mysterious communications station. Well that's an unfortunate feature... rather than Central Park, Glencrest gets the mysterious buffer zone of scraggy spruce and bog.
I believe it's a beacon for the Airport

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I believe it's a beacon for the Airport
That's what they want you to think..

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:07 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
That's what they want you to think..

Unless he is "they" and that's what he wants us to think.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:13 PM

N L S S

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Unless he is "they" and that's what he wants us to think.
HaHa. It really is the YYT airport beacon, frequency 113.5 although I agree it looks strange when viewed from the highway.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
HaHa. It really is the YYT airport beacon, frequency 113.5 although I agree it looks strange when viewed from the highway.
sure sure sure ..

...ok! I wont say anymore! I promise!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 3:08 PM

Paradise to Decide on Fire Services

Quote:
The Town of Paradise will decide next week on who they want to see take over fire fighting services in the growing town. The council has come under considerable criticism in recent years over its lack of local fire fighting services. Currently, the St. John's Regional Fire Department provides the service with the closest fire station being in Mount Pearl. A study was conducted to see if the towns of CBS and Holyrood would be able to share fire fighting services with the town of Paradise. Mayor Ralph Wiseman says the council will consider the results of that study at its meeting February 5th, and conduct a vote on how to proceed.

Conception Bay South Mayor Woodrow French says he's open to the concept of regional fire services.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30268&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:09 PM

I drove past the new hotel on Kenmount today and they are installing the glass on the side facing the road.. I'm really liking how this hotel is looking!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:20 PM

I thought it looked pretty strange, but ill have to wait until its finished to judge!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 5:23 PM

Also from Paradise..

Traffic consultants Hatch Mott McDonald were meeting with paradise council to discuss the issues surrounding the traffic congestion on topsail road. Quick youtube vid of east bound traffic during morning rush hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtuVhQ122w

Suggestions were brought forth to remove the traffic lights under the ORR overpass on topsail road and prevent access to the ORR east bound. This would force drivers heading east down topsail, then onto kenmount to the bruce street ORR onramp. Unfortunatley, a dedicated lane wasn't designed from topsail road along kenmount to bruce st on the new kenmount/topsail overpass, so traffic heading up from topsail to kenmount west has to merge with kenmount traffic.

Few problems with removing the lights. Traffic heading down the off ramps from the ORR attempting to turn left on to topsail road would be extremely difficult.
Also, the merge lane on the ORR from bruce st to the topsail rd off ramp is relatively short. Most NL drivers have trouble merging on a good day, let alone with the cross over traffic that would exist there.

To late for a clover style on/off ramp for ORR and topsail rd.

Anyone else enountering these problems? On a bad day I might be stuck on topsail rd between trails end and the ORR for 12 mins. Any suggestions? Karwood to kenmount extension is also an option but is usually blocked due to the paradise elementary backlog. Word has it karwood drive is being upgraded this summer so hopefully that'll include a longer turning lane for those entering the school parking lot, allowing traffic to flow freely between topsail road and kenmount extension

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
Paradise to Decide on Fire Services

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30268&latest=1
Why are they considering wasting money on their own regional fire department, when there already is one that they could pay into.

This region is getting more and more fractured, when it should be coming together. If the fire dept was called the Avalon East Regional Fire Department, I bet they'd all join up.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwalsh View Post
Traffic consultants Hatch Mott McDonald were meeting with paradise council to discuss the issues surrounding the traffic congestion on topsail road. Quick youtube vid of east bound traffic during morning rush hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGtuVhQ122w

Suggestions were brought forth to remove the traffic lights under the ORR overpass on topsail road and prevent access to the ORR east bound. This would force drivers heading east down topsail, then onto kenmount to the bruce street ORR onramp. Unfortunatley, a dedicated lane wasn't designed from topsail road along kenmount to bruce st on the new kenmount/topsail overpass, so traffic heading up from topsail to kenmount west has to merge with kenmount traffic.

Few problems with removing the lights. Traffic heading down the off ramps from the ORR attempting to turn left on to topsail road would be extremely difficult.
Also, the merge lane on the ORR from bruce st to the topsail rd off ramp is relatively short. Most NL drivers have trouble merging on a good day, let alone with the cross over traffic that would exist there.

To late for a clover style on/off ramp for ORR and topsail rd.

Anyone else enountering these problems? On a bad day I might be stuck on topsail rd between trails end and the ORR for 12 mins. Any suggestions? Karwood to kenmount extension is also an option but is usually blocked due to the paradise elementary backlog. Word has it karwood drive is being upgraded this summer so hopefully that'll include a longer turning lane for those entering the school parking lot, allowing traffic to flow freely between topsail road and kenmount extension
I remember thinking a little while ago that another exit was needed from the ORR (like a Paradise bypass) into somewhere further west in Paradise or more towards Topsail. I was thinking somewhere between the Thorburn and Topsail Road exits, but not really sure where you could connect it. Somewhere along St. Thomas Line might work but with all the residential subdivisions popping up, I doubt there is any plan to leave a corridor open for something like this.

I dunno, this could maybe alleviate some of the traffic in Paradise along that stretch of Topsail Rd.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:42 AM

WHAAATTTT

The population in the last census was 17,000 .. Sure it can soon apply for city status! .. that municipality is growing MUCH faster than I thought!! :O

Quote:
According to the 2011 Canadian census the population of Paradise is 17,695, after recording a 41% increase in population over five years.
NOW:

Paradise is Booming

Quote:
More impressive growth results for Paradise, both residential and commercial. Paradise is continuing its trend as one of the fastest growing towns in eastern Canada, with a population of approximately 19,000 people.
Mayor Ralph Wiseman says last year there were 353 housing starts, and if you include apartments, there were 496 units built. He also noted there are 10 new commercial buildings under construction, with a number of other companies interested in locating there.
Wiseman says one thing he really likes about the growth of Paradise is the number of young families moving into the town.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...30291&latest=1

no wonder there is so much congestion on Topsail road... there are only two access roads to the St. John's from a population of 19,000 people and NO public transit option!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
WHAAATTTT

The population in the last census was 17,000 .. Sure it can soon apply for city status! .. that municipality is growing MUCH faster than I thought!! :O

hahaha...paradise...a city. makes me laugh.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's